Author Topic: Daigo grip and hop execution  (Read 3548 times)

PoombyBear

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Daigo grip and hop execution
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »
So I've been playing around w/ the demo (wanting to get into the game) and trying to execute the various jumps and hops. I hold my arcade stick using the Daigo method and I've been having a hard time executing both hops. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Daigo method, it entails placing the stick between your pinky and ring finger, while wrapping your index, middle, and ring finger around the ball.  I understand the Daigo method is apparently meant for Street Fighter, but I wanted to ask the more experienced KOF players if this method is fine and with practice I'll become better at hops, or if I should try another grip entirely. Thanks for any replies!!!

uncleaner

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Daigo grip and hop execution
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »
If you're using the Daigo grip, try holding the stick more with your fingers instead of your palm, and then to hop or hyper hop just flick the stick between your fingers and thumb. With practice it'll feel really natural.

In other words bad:
How to hold a joystick like Daigo Umehara

Good:
Daigo's hands Slowmotion.MP4  

PoombyBear

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »
O my god your post helped so much... thank you for providing visualization.  I was using it more like the first video you showed... you saved meeeeeeeeeee

I was worried I would have to change grips depending on the game I play, and if that was the case, I was starting to have my doubts.  Thank you  :)

EDIT:  I have a question regarding the more finger-oriented Daigo grip... previously, when I used the first "bad" grip you showed, the metal stick was always touching the crevice of my ring and pinky finger, always touching the edge of my palm.  I've tried the more finger-oriented one, and it doesn't really touch there anymore... where should the metal stick generally be located? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:36:23 AM by PoombyBear »

uncleaner

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:37:27 AM »
Hey, didn't see your edit.

Around the first joint. Don't worry about it too much though, as long as you can flick to jump just do whatever's comfortable.