Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343463 times)

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 06:20:21 AM »
I hope this time they add new characters.

I didn't mind when they didn't do it in KOF XIII. This time around, they have no reason not to.
I heard that KOF XIV was once cancelled. I doubt whether SNKP has put enough time and manpower into the project or not. Even though 1st PV had been released, SNKp is still recruiting game developers for kof.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:54:38 AM by a11111357 »

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
Heres a link found from r kappa
http://webm.host/a1822/
Looks like terry who knows the deal
Well,it's the footage of a pachinko game.
https://youtu.be/rKcUFpmce1M?t=4m5s
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:55:59 PM by a11111357 »

Mrkarate23

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 06:28:42 PM »
^
I should have known better because I ended up wasting an hour of my Sunday afternoon looking for the source. I wish kof xiv had a similar art style. The kof challenge mode are really good single player content especially it lets you learn the game and provide unique ideas with the base engine. I hope to see it again in this installment.

About the cancellation I saw a blog that spoke about.

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 02:07:18 AM »

I didn't mind when they didn't do it in KOF XIII. This time around, they have no reason not to.

No, that's not really something they'd do. They have A LOT of characters to choose from other games, so I don't see the point in them doing that.

We have:
Rick Strowd
Franco Bash
Kevin Rian
Kain R. Heinlein
Marco Rodriguez
Laurence Blood
Etc.

There is no need for new characters.

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 02:41:13 AM »
^
I hope that they make a sequel of Garou "with graphics better than XIV".

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:14 AM »
I wish for a new Garou, but atleast give us those characters. Those dudes should be there.

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2015, 05:40:44 AM »
So any updates on XIV or is it just dead silent as usual at the SNK office?

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2015, 11:05:29 PM »

No, that's not really something they'd do. They have A LOT of characters to choose from other games, so I don't see the point in them doing that.

We have:
Rick Strowd
Franco Bash
Kevin Rian
Kain R. Heinlein
Marco Rodriguez
Laurence Blood
Etc.

So you'd much rather have them reuse characters they already have instead of having them try and come up with something new? Lame.

One of the biggest criticisms of KOF XIII was the roster. It played it too safe using characters we all know. Having one old character (Hwa Jai) make a return didn't help make the roster all that exciting.

You say there's no point in adding new characters. There's actually a big point. It shows that they are able to evolve. Evolution is needed if you want to keep your idea dynamic as opposed to static. If anything, there's no point in adding old characters. Most of the time, they're added just for the sake of being added. And when old characters that are wanted are added, they don't actually make that much of a difference. Look at SFV. No one really wanted Birdie. Instead of developing him, time could have been spent on a new character. And at this point, it looks like SFV needs them. The roster is starting to look like a new Street Fighter Alpha game and the two new characters are not enough to keep it an interesting roster. Some are even not hyped about the return of Katin and R. Mika, the two most requested characters that had yet to return. Let's not have KOF go down that path.

Adding new ideas always adds interest in a game. Pandering to nostalgia can only take you so far.

Just imagine if fans from other franchises said, "We don't want new things. Just keep giving us what we're familiar with."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:44:35 PM by marchefelix »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:46 AM »

As far as i can remember this was the reason for making it in 3D, so they could implicate characters they couldn't in 3D or some such.

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2015, 06:47:23 AM »

We have:
Rick Strowd
Franco Bash
Kevin Rian
Kain R. Heinlein
Marco Rodriguez
Laurence Blood
Etc.

So you'd much rather have them reuse characters they already have instead of having them try and come up with something new? Lame.

One of the biggest criticisms of KOF XIII was the roster. It played it too safe using characters we all know. Having one old character (Hwa Jai) make a return didn't help make the roster all that exciting.

You say there's no point in adding new characters. There's actually a big point. It shows that they are able to evolve. Evolution is needed if you want to keep your idea dynamic as opposed to static. If anything, there's no point in adding old characters. Most of the time, they're added just for the sake of being added. And when old characters that are wanted are added, they don't actually make that much of a difference. Look at SFV. No one really wanted Birdie. Instead of developing him, time could have been spent on a new character. And at this point, it looks like SFV needs them. The roster is starting to look like a new Street Fighter Alpha game and the two new characters are not enough to keep it an interesting roster. Some are even not hyped about the return of Katin and R. Mika, the two most requested characters that had yet to return. Let's not have KOF go down that path.

Adding new ideas always adds interest in a game. Pandering to nostalgia can only take you so far.

Just imagine if fans from other franchises said, "We don't want new things. Just keep giving us what we're familiar with."

What's wrong with keeping things the same and adding all your old favorites? Look at 98FE... all your favorites are there and its one of the most regarded games in the series! Why would you want new characters when we're used to all the characters we know and have. Look at Guilty Gear Xrd. Do you know how many people want their characters back and nothing else? Some people don't even play Xrd for that reason alone! Feeding off the nostalgia is what makes money, look at the Pachinko machines! They're all from 98! If you put someone new and not even well designed, people would say "who the hell is that? He doesn't look like the characters I know back then."

I say no for new characters, SNK has A LOT of characters in KOF and A LOT of characters that aren't in KOF. I'd be more than happy with characters that haven't even been in a game yet, like the ones I listed above.  And if SNK doesn't want new characters themselves, that's fine! Why not soften the blow with the vets? It would be fine that way. Why would you need more pretty boys who more and more look like girls with some shit being related to orochi?

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »
If you want more of the same, then stick with the old stuff. But don't expect a new installment of something to not give us anything new. That's just unreasonable.

KLSADAKO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
The roster in King of fighters and SNK in General is huge.. so I think a mixture of old, new and characters from other SNK titles that have yet to appear in a KOF game.. is all that is needed..

Just gimme Shermie and I'll be happy ^^

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »
The roster in King of fighters and SNK in General is huge.. so I think a mixture of old, new and characters from other SNK titles that have yet to appear in a KOF game.. is all that is needed..

Just gimme Shermie and I'll be happy ^^

You're more rational than the lot of us.

Mrkarate23

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »
Marchefelix we know next to nothing about the roster, nor do we know if this a new saga or a dream match. Ash's saga gave us 11 new characters to the series (Ash, Duo Lon, Shen Woo, Elisabeth, Oswald, Momoko, Mailin, Shion, Adelheid, Magaki, Mukai, Saiki) + raiden, Wha jai and kof xi on top gave us more characters from snkp large library of characters that we have not seen in a decade or from games with out sequels. They don't need to create new characters when they have plenty of properties under they own to use in this sequel. The US sport team is long due to return after not appearing in kof for more than 16 years. I do agree with you that some of teams are safe choice that we have seen forever like "art of fighting" just to name one.

Snkp as always been tinkering with the characters to make them fresh. Take Ralf in kof xii and xiii is my favorite rendition of the character the appearance along with a new move sets that  made sense and he no longer felt cookie cutter with ralf kick, tackle, argentinian back breaker. Both Duo Lon and Elisabeth lost some moves and gained new one between kof xi and xii. All I am saying even if we keep seeing the same old characters between sequels, they are bound to have something new to set them apart. Took clark long enough to have armor on his signature move or "step" to close the distance.

The next trailer is set for next year.  Hopefully they throw us some scraps from the development process while we wait. Concept art of characters and stages or interviews will do, just feed us.