Author Topic: Questions about Samurai Showdown 5 Special and 6  (Read 8104 times)

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Questions about Samurai Showdown 5 Special and 6
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »
I never got the chance to play Samurai Showdown 5 Special and was thinking of picking it up. But I recently found out that a Samurai Showdown 6 was released as well.

Which one should I pick up? And if anyone knows, which is the preferred game? Also, how do these two stack up to the popularity of the first four games?

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Samurai Showdown 5 Special and 6
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:28:47 AM »
5SP is considered the best in the series. SamSho 6 is like Alpha 3 in a sense, it includes pretty much everyone from the series and throws in a few different grooves. 5SP is pretty balanced if you care about that and the cast is diverse and pretty fun, also usually has a decent amount of people in the room on GGPO.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
I always thought that universally SS2 was considered the best in the series while ss5sp was a game that nobody gave a crap

Waifu Material

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
I always thought that universally SS2 was considered the best in the series while ss5sp was a game that nobody gave a crap

SS2 for a lot of people was like SFII with weapons. Personally SS4 was maybe the best in the series; the gameplay and especially presentation (stages, music), stuck out more than most fighting games to me in that one.

I never got the chance to play Samurai Showdown 5 Special and was thinking of picking it up. But I recently found out that a Samurai Showdown 6 was released as well.

Which one should I pick up? And if anyone knows, which is the preferred game? Also, how do these two stack up to the popularity of the first four games?

Pick up the Samurai Shodown collection on PS2 preferably. Has all 6 games (maybe SS5sp too)
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »

SS2 for a lot of people was like SFII with weapons. Personally SS4 was maybe the best in the series; the gameplay and especially presentation (stages, music), stuck out more than most fighting games to me in that one.

Pick up the Samurai Shodown collection on PS2 preferably. Has all 6 games (maybe SS5sp too)

Nope, it doesnt have SS5S :P

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
best backgrounds and such are in ss3. best presentation though is ss4. ss2 is old school goodness, it was basically a great old school fighter that the newer games never really came close to. ofcourse the newer games (most of them) are better than ss2, but as fighters they aint that good imo. especially compared to other better fighters (lb series). all the while when ss2 was best fighter of the year that it was released in. in other words, the follow up games didnt improve the formula as they should have done.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
I liked SSTK (Samsho Tenkaichi Kenkakuden) simply because of Andrew, and some of the other characters' playstyle. The music was good for a few stages also. But if I had to pick a top fave, 5sp would be it (Mina was the best new character imo)...

Lygophilia

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »
I like both, but I prefer Samurai Shodown 6, which I have just started playing very recently, because they've added Yumeji again.

Louiscipher2501

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »
SSV SP is on GGPO. Great game, nice balance but... no tech throws. And Throws beat normals and some specials. So expect to be grabbed a lot.

GenesisDC

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 02:39:10 AM »
Yeah, SS5SP is a great game that I'd recommend to just about anybody. SS2 and SS4 aren't quite my type but they're good too. I never played SS6, but according to some people it doesn't play much like many other games in the series but its still good. I wanna get my hands on it.

Louiscipher2501

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
It's been said before but SS6 plays like the Alpha 3 of that franchise. It looks like an okay fighter, but there's design choices that are questionable; no blood or fatalities, J-pop like music, and out of place backgrounds and new characters.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »
SSV SP is on GGPO. Great game, nice balance but... no tech throws. And Throws beat normals and some specials. So expect to be grabbed a lot.

Unless you have Mina!!!

DeadlyRave-Neo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
there was a ggpo tournament yesterday

friends dont let friends use bosses

Dark Geese

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
It's been said before but SS6 plays like the Alpha 3 of that franchise. It looks like an okay fighter, but there's design choices that are questionable; no blood or fatalities, J-pop like music, and out of place backgrounds and new characters.

But at the same time, for those that can't get access to SSVP, they could certainly play SS6. Now they aren't the same game by far, but I'd recommend it!

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
Been playing Samurai Shodown V SP on the MVS of recent and have played Samurai Shodown V on the mvs for quite a while I've been meaning to ask why is SP considered so much better then the original? It seems like the difficulty is amped up and some of the cheapness is taken away (see Yumeji), but I find it hard to see the hard core difference besides the fatalities. I've been debating whether to keep playing VSP or go back to V which is more familiar to me, but I wanted to know the key differences.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"