Author Topic: KOFXIII Not in Official Evo Line Up  (Read 19662 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIII Not in Official Evo Line Up
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »
2k2UM or XII does NOT help in any way to prepare you for XIII other than the fundamentals if that.

Knowing KOF fundamentals will not help you compete on high level matchs, I think that an average US player can read every single wiki, guide, post, strategy, and watch tons of match vids but unless they have a minimum of 3-6 months of ACTUAL GOOD QUALITY game play, they wont be able to beat the weakest of the weakest AI player at EVO.

Well, the 3-6 month estimation might be slightly exaggerated.  As long as they have good competition locally, console players can catch up real quick.  In the beginning, it was impossible to get on training mode for the first 2 months at AI.  Also, factor in they have access to the game a lot more than we did (versus us sitting thru 45-75 mins of traffic) I think 3 months is a healthy time frame to be competitive.  Although, nothing can replace experience though.

As for the weakest player at AI, lol, you're putting on a lot of pressure for me to perform well man haha.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:58:22 PM by Kane317 »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
If 2k2UM is a way to prepare for XIII, then it really shouldn't be too bad... Granted, there might not be much in terms of max damage combos, or other things that pertain to XIII strictly, but the fundamentals should be substantial to compete at a close-to-high (if not high) level...

Plus, there's tons of info on this game already, from combo vids, and the wiki, and threads with people breaking things down... I'm not saying that all of that doesn't beat actually playing the game to see how things work, but they should be stepping stones...

2k2UM or XII does NOT help in any way to prepare you for XIII other than the fundamentals if that.

Knowing KOF fundamentals will not help you compete on high level matchs, I think that an average US player can read every single wiki, guide, post, strategy, and watch tons of match vids but unless they have a minimum of 3-6 months of ACTUAL GOOD QUALITY game play, they wont be able to beat the weakest of the weakest AI player at EVO.

I do believe that there's a difference between 'knowing something' and 'applying something', so I'm not all about watching match vids or whatever and saying that I'm good at a game I haven't even played (same goes for VF5:Final Showdown, and other games to hit the pike in the "near" future). I was under the impression that the majority of what I come across (and read) with regards to 2k2UM is that its "similar to XIII" so for some cats who can't get to an arcade (due to time, money, etc) they can "get ready" for XIII through this game...

Sure, it won't totally "prepare" you per sé, but what does in that aspect??? T5DR didn't prepare for T6, 3S to SF4, the list goes on... But with fundamentals, you can become at least a little solid... I probably didn't mean "high-level", but competitive to a degree at least... Iunno...

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 12:35:29 AM »
As for the weakest player at AI, lol, you're putting on a lot of pressure for me to perform well man haha.

didn't we already go over this, Kane? lol

also, i think The Answer is being a little pessimistic about newcomers to XIII who've had experience with older games. sure, it doesn't perfectly translate with the new game mechanics and updated movelists, but i think that fundmentals and experience with the series gives them a good groundwork for getting their head around the game. i've seen randoms come and play XIII at AI and, you can tell from their play style that they main the older titles, they do fairly well. rushdown, corner pressure, defensive manuevers have been pretty similar throughout the years, so i wouldn't discount older titles as being helpful in a minimal sort of way. at the very least, it's a good way to transition from whatever franchise a new player might be used to. then, once understanding of combat flow is established, they can work on the more detailed aspects of XIII's game system. of course, i agree that if XIII is on hand, by all means play it, but us AI folks can't/shouldn't have the elitist mindset. we are very fortunate, i believe, to have a cab as long as we've had it while most of the country (and even the world, for that matter) doesn't have access to the game. understand that people want to play this game, they just don't have the means for it. nothing wrong with the older titles in the meantime as long as you don't cling to them.

on topic though, it's good that giby is pushing for XIII (pending its release) regardless if it's an official game at EVO or not. i hope that if it's within anyone's power to go support this that they do so. at the minimum you could always BYOC and throw something together.

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 01:31:51 AM »
They were warming up to the idea at first, but for some strange reason they stopped around late Dec/early Jan.
Maybe coz the new president?

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »
I'm not beign negative, I'm being realistic. We can have a mediocre tournament this year and kill our chances for next year or hold on and wait for people to get the game, really practice, catch up to the rest of the country (Cali) and then really put on a show.

It's been ten fucking years that we get no type of love from EVO because one thing or the another Mr.Wizard has repetedly said that he will have the finals for the best side tournaments on the big state and live stream. This is what's going to happen:

Top 4

1. AI player
2. AI player
3. AI player
4. AI player

and then people are going to be like fuck this shit was rigged, why so and so where seeded, blah, blah, blah, and there goes our chances for being on the big stage or on next year's lineup.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:17:04 PM by Kane317 »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »
but has AI's players have always done good tournament wise in KoF games anyways right? I mean it looks like the right locations are starting to pick up XIII,CTF, all over Cali, Texas, usual contenders. and I believe as long as the top 4 put up a great performance that's all that's  gonna matter. Now it would probably be more hype if top 4 weren't all AI players, but who knows man shit happens it's a tournament people could get knocked out( physically due to hype levels) haha. Honestly who gives a shit if people think its rigged, we use tournaments as proving ground to display the best talent there is the bottom line, and as long as that gets accomplished that's all that matter, your are playing talented players from one of the best training grounds  kof in the U.S. that have had the game months ahead of everyone else shit could happen no matter what timeline
" you fight well in the old style"

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »
reasons why kof is not at evo

1. It's not on PS3
2. For Playmore there is nothing to win.They could use this tournament to advertise their eventual console port and boost their sales.But they don't have a console port ... so why bother...everybody knows how the game looks like so let's say they would donate or sponsor the tournament with board+game ... it's not going to boost up their sales for KOF XIII arcade games - not to mention that the quality of the tournament would be below average and will not make good marketing for a later console port..and again why should they bother when  they don't have something to sell
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:52:55 AM by KBlackNoah »

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
all over Cali

WHOA, MAN!! I fricken WISH!!  Nor Cal ain't got shit :(  I actually spoke with the manager of Sunnyvale GolfLand a while ago and he said that it wouldn't be worth the investment to get it...  Yet they go out and get BB:CS and SSFIV:AE right as they drop...  I personally think that more niche KoF players would come out of the woodwork to play XIII than BB and SF fans would go out to play those games. ( I for one would go at LEAST five days a week )

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 12:34:31 AM »
I'm not beign negative, I'm being realistic. We can have a mediocre tournament this year and kill our chances for next year or hold on and wait for people to get the game, really practice, catch up to the rest of the country (Cali) and then really put on a show.

It's been ten fucking years that we get no type of love from EVO because one thing or the another Mr.Wizard has repetedly said that he will have the finals for the best side tournaments on the big state and live stream. This is what's going to happen:

Top 4

1. AI player
2. AI player
3. AI player
4. AI player

and then people are going to be like fuck this shit was rigged, why so and so where seeded, blah, blah, blah, and there goes our chances for being on the big stage or on next year's lineup.
I think you clearly underestimate some KOF players in the US. I mean in XII I beat almost every AI player online that I played against and the only one I couldn't beat was you. Just ask Nate how good the KOF players are in the Northwest.
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 01:31:49 AM »
Are you seriously trying to use XII online as a measure of skill?

And yeah while we have strong players up here Sytha, Alex (Not sure if he still plays though, haven't seen him in awhile*, and all the random Koreans I seriously doubt they would beat the AI players due to lack of exposure to XIII.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:45:45 PM by Zabel »

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »
The top 10 players in the Northwest for KOF are:

1:Billy
2:Jason (Taiwanese player)
3:BBH
4:Me (Kusanagi Style)
5:Gene
6:Johnathan
7:Hellsap
8:Sytha
9:FMR
10:Anthony

KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
Wait what?!?!?

Kusanagi Style please read my previous post and the thread before you make a post. I clearly said that people will need more exposure to the game, I never commented on people's skills.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Dark Geese

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »

Top 4

1. AI player
2. AI player
3. AI player
4. AI player

Give me 2-3 months of playing this game in Mexico and watch me rank right along with you guys hahahaa. Remember Nouveau Defi Prologue 2009 with me putting Mr. KOF in Losers?

I only had about 2-3 months of playing KOFXII against people I was beating in Mexico all the time!!!

Again, don't say I can't, I got to Winners Finals vs. Reynald in El Paso...(all in the good, healthy spirit of competition)

Top 4 for KOFXII that particular tournament were:
1. Reynald
2. Mr. KOF
3. Me
4. RJ

Basically guys I totally understand what Oscar is saying. He's saying in a pretty nice way compared to how it COULD be said that we have to make sure we are ready if we hold a tournament in the US in KOFXIII and the WORLD watches. If not then I'm telling you guys like I have been telling you guys for a long time since I have been running the EVO World SNK series, people are going to laugh at us around the world. Also now with me travelling and seeing the different levels of skill around the world it's hard for me not to see the perspective of these other countries.

So I am going to take what Oscar is saying and expand that to an international perspective. I am going to go even further than what Oscar is saying.

Bottom line is give me 2 months of playing vs. people in Mexico/Kula and the EVO results for console KOF13 will come down to:

1. AI/Japan/Mexico/Me.

And if the people in the USA see a 60 man tournament with only 7-10 people knowing how to play, that will NOT help our chances with it going mainstream! If the people around the world see that they are going to wonder WHY DID WE BOTHER? I know I would and thats what I am saying. We can't take chances to screw this one up guys, we really can't. We need to make sure you guys get with the program if we as Americans want ANY type of respect not only around the world, but the chance for KOF in our country to go mainstream!

Also Oscar isn't questioning you guys skill, but I AM. I do question the skill level of you guys because I do not think I should be able to pick a game up and in 2-3 months be able to beat the majority of the United States when there are others that have been playing the game longer than me!

Also the inexposure thing can be an excuse if you let it! I didn't have anyone really to play on my level yet I was able to hang with Mr.KOF in KOFXII but you guys in Oregon are saying you wouldn't be able to hang with the AI players?

Something is terribly wrong here and this may be brash but I feel it needs to be addressed on the ENTIRE USA level. I comment in my podcast many many times on what would help SOLVE this problem (hint TRAVELLING).

We are tired of carrying the US SNK scene just ourselves basically, why does everything come down in the USA to me and AI?

This needs to change basically or to me it is not worth my time attending! (Hence I would bring Mexico to come or SOMETHING to stir up the pot! AI players would go to play Japan and others like myself that they don't play all the time THAT THEY FEEL ARE GOING TO PUSH THEM otherwise they WON'T GO!!!!!!!)

I am sorry guys but I simply find that to be unacceptable. This HAS to change if we have any hope of anything else happening or mark my words final results are going to come down to:

AI vs. Dark Geese vs. Mexico vs. Japan/Asia.

Where are the rest of you guys????

Not in the running. It may sound harsh guys but this is what EVO with KOF13 is going to boil down to. While that sounds fun on paper, to me it is NOT. I'd rather the level across the board be similar instead of seeing those results. If those are going to be the results I don't see a reason mainly to even go to EVO, if I wanna play AI guess what? I'll go to AI! (I'm sure Mr. KOF feels the same way as do a lot of them if they are going to leave their place to play talent, what's in it for them? Why leave their place of skill to play  substantially LESS SKILLED PLAYERS???????? )

If I wanna play Mexico guess what? I'll go to Mexico!

To add onto that, if those are going to be the results then I feel a change of location needs to happen, we can make those results happen in many variations in a BETTER location (Mexico!) with more SKILL across the board of similar levels!

Thus again bottom line is it would still come down to AI vs. DG vs. Mexico vs. Japan (whoever we bring from Japan/Asia), but the skill level across the board will be about 100x better.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:18:05 PM by Dark Geese »

DeadlyRave-Neo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
who knows what the future holds you don't know who will rise up from the south.
friends dont let friends use bosses

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

AI vs. Dark Geese vs. Mexico vs. Japan/Asia.

Where are the rest of you guys????

Waiting for the game to come out for consoles?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."