Poll

What games do you want to play, that you aren't getting bored of?

The King of Fighters 98/UM
19 (13.6%)
The King of Fighters 2002/UM
23 (16.4%)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
16 (11.4%)
Last Blade 2
9 (6.4%)
Fatal Fury Special
4 (2.9%)
Art of Fighting 3
4 (2.9%)
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
14 (10%)
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
4 (2.9%)
Samurai Shodown V: Special
10 (7.1%)
Other Samurai Shodown Game(s)
5 (3.6%)
The King of Fighters XII
5 (3.6%)
NeoGeo Battle Colisseum
10 (7.1%)
Other KoF Games
8 (5.7%)
Other non-listed franchise
9 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: What games do you feel like playing?  (Read 6495 times)

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
What games do you feel like playing?
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:06:07 AM »
This poll is to determine what people are feeling right now. What do you wanna play? What games never get old to you? What are you willing to play online and have fun with? For the Other categories, please post the name of the title(s) you feel like playing the most. You can change your vote, as well as vote for multiple games. Please remember, this is for the sake of online play and to determine where people stand with what games and what everyone feels like playing that isn't boring to them in terms of casual or competitive online play.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: What games do you feel like playing?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15:41 AM »
98/UM never gets old to me. I've been playing a lot of 2K2UM lately and I'm a bit burned on that one. RB2 is quite fun as it's new to me. SamSho II and IV never get old.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
Thats good, glad to hear it. I wanna determine where everyone stands on this so we can try and cater more events towards what people want. (Of course, I'm forcing RB2 on all of you lawl)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
I'm going to be honest and say that I feel that more people should learn and get into KOF games than any of these other SNK fighters because we are the only nation in the world (USA) that sort of neglects the game. Even so now, I feel that there are more people here talking about KOFXIII than learning the games before it. It's just my opinion.

As much as I like RB2, I'm quite honestly not that serious about it, and I wish we had more people interested in KOF98/02 online around here...
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
my main gripe with playing 98 and 2002 is that at this point I don't care, I had viable options to play the UM versions that at this I find better, I don't know if some people there will had this same problem, even though I will gladly play 98 or 2002 again

Waifu Material

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:26:25 PM »
Seeing as its now a more SNK-themed site vice KOFXIII only, I do prefer that we all get involved with all of the SNK fighters that are available for local and online sessions... I do feel that we in the US (and North America as a region) should beef up like crazy on KoF, especially since its a great game, and is widely played all over the world... For people in China to have a pseudo-kumite for the original KoF98 and the turnout was massive, that should say something... For there to still be tourneys in Japan for KoF94 this year alone should say something... For having a ton of people in a KoF room in GGPO but not awhole lot in a ST room constantly should say something... Granted, most major fighitng game tourneys here seem based on the game that's "trendy for the moment", if you like a game, just play it for that reason...

I don't get tired of any game (except for SSF4, MvC2, Waku Waku 7, Rise of the Robots, Daraku Tenshii, and AoDC)... I only get tired playing 98 or 2k2 (or insert fighting game) when there's players that don't want to learn (or teach), and just attempt to scrub it out, and not better themselves (or the person they're fighting against)... It reminds me of playing VF and random scrubs would pick Kage to do a TFT (ten-foot toss) to a ring out combo, and that's it... No sense of defense or offense; no real strategy going on, just backdash to grab then combo... They threw everything else out the window because they focused their time on getting a throw out that might've happened maybe once... Same with Jacky/Sarah/Lau/Brad ppp spammers...

Anyway, I think what also truly bores me is when there are people that do play good games, and have a solid game, but don't discuss anything about it... Scenes can't flourish with just constant gameplay... Discussion is the water that nourishes the plant (in this case the fighting game scene)... Actual gameplay would be tending the ground and trimming the leaves... Learning would be the sunlight... Sorry for the analogy, but it just simply shows how integral communication is in a scene...

Well, I picked several games on the list, but I will play any game that people want to play to better themselves... Sure, its all fun, but just like in basketball, wouldn't you want to better yourself in a game you enjoy??? Be it a jump shot, a serve, or a combo, I want to have fun, but I also want to not just be good at it but get even better...

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:34 AM »
Scenes can't flourish with just constant gameplay... Discussion is the water that nourishes the plant (in this case the fighting game scene)... Actual gameplay would be tending the ground and trimming the leaves... Learning would be the sunlight... Sorry for the analogy, but it just simply shows how integral communication is in a scene...

Honestly, I'd rather have people playing a game constantly than just talking or discussion. There are some players that can talk and share so many things about a game's engine and system, and know all the moves and combos, frame data, etc. but when they play the game, they can't apply the knowledge...

As far as building a scene, action and movement attracts and motivates people better than heavy communication.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:16:30 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:52 AM »
I think a large part of the problem is that KOF is in a weird place. Many people have played 98/UM and 2002/UM for many years and are looking forward to the new game. I know when I play 2002UM, I view it as prep work for XIII and sometimes it gets to be a chore as that's the only KOF I can get the local players to play. I would love to mix in some XI and 98 with my locals but that's never an option. I'm one of those people that prefers to mix it up and rotate through games.

Bun Bu Ryo Do

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:37:59 AM »
I'd probably just want to stick to 98/UM, 02/UM, and Garou, if I hadn't just bought a NeoGeo cabinet myself. Those are still my main SNK games anyway, but count me in for Real Bout 2 as well.

I should add that I'm really hoping 98 and 02 can thrive well into the XIII era.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »
Scenes can't flourish with just constant gameplay... Discussion is the water that nourishes the plant (in this case the fighting game scene)... Actual gameplay would be tending the ground and trimming the leaves... Learning would be the sunlight... Sorry for the analogy, but it just simply shows how integral communication is in a scene...

Honestly, I'd rather have people playing a game constantly than just talking or discussion. There are some players that can talk and share so many things about a game's engine and system, and know all the moves and combos, frame data, etc. but when they play the game, they can't apply the knowledge...

As far as building a scene, action and movement attracts and motivates people better than heavy communication.

I'm just saying that they go hand in hand... I enjoy constant gameplay, but that doesn't always mean a scene will grow or that knowledge of something will be shared... And you are right about there being a ton of cats that know but can't apply (in conjunction with "theory fighters") and it sucks because a bunch of talking and speculation about something doesn't get anyone anywhere without actually going in and battling cats and learning the ins and outs of the game...

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
Agree with nearly everything Jinx said. I chose every game; as a fighter/fighting fan, it's hard for me to get bored with them. It happens but once I really get into a game, and espeically when I find great competition, I might never stop. But I know as much as I want to contend with tourney-level players now, there's always room for improvements in my game. So I'll play it (whatever it might be), and keeping playing it until it's mastered, and then I'll come back to teach and defend a title if I'm lucky enough to earn one one day.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »

I'm just saying that they go hand in hand... I enjoy constant gameplay, but that doesn't always mean a scene will grow or that knowledge of something will be shared...

Back when the arcade scene was jumping you ran into cats that wouldn't share their knowledge of the game with anyone and were very secretive, while there were cats that did share and were cool...I do agree that helping people by sharing knowledge of the game helps new players get into the game quickly, so I guess there needs to be a balance of constant gaming and studying of the game.

Quote from: nilcam
I know when I play 2002UM, I view it as prep work for XIII and sometimes it gets to be a chore as that's the only KOF I can get the local players to play. I would love to mix in some XI and 98 with my locals but that's never an option.

I'm going to be honest, at first, I was sort of looking at older KOF's at prep work for XIII, but I would I really know if those games play or feel that way if I haven't play the game yet? Plus, there is a strong possibility of KOFXIII not even coming out for consoles, so are people just going to quit KOF as a whole because their new game may not come out?

As far as getting local players to play, if 2002UM is the only game you can people to play, then you may to just work from that at the moment...There are certain countries where it seems that certain KOF games are their focus or are more popular than the others, like the UK scene seems pretty focused on 2002UM, while Mexico always liked 2002, China still playing OG 98. etc.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
I'm liking the way this thread is turning out. So far so good, and I'm shocked that RB2 is keeping up with KoF 98 and 02 lol but of course, not many have voted. Kinda getting an idea of where people stand, but I'm also getting the feeling the thirty players we have registered on the database aren't around lately. Maybe its MvC3? lol

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
Yeah that whole keeping secrets crap's gotta go... I mean granted, I do believe in figuring out things for yourself, but at the same time its like if you show people the basics and then some advance stuff with "x" character, it should be in a way that challenges the new player to open their mind up to new ideas and strategies... No spoon-feeding though... The "noobs" (myself included) gotta put in work to become good with whatever character they're learning and sometimes that means finding out some things on your own, which comes from getting in some matches and getting crushed... I know I'm trying to put in work with a few characters (Kyo-1, O.Shermie, some EX characters, and a partridge in a pear tree - j/k)...

For example, if someone wanted to learn how to play as Mars People (or any other character in any fighting game), I wouldn't have a problem teaching them at all... I would definitely show them the basics and how he/she can be played, as well as some combos... I would put an emphasis on trying new things out, especially when it comes to resets and throw/command throw setups because he's so versatile imo... I would also tell them don't expect it to be an easy ride (even with characters like Mr. Big)...

With XIII possibly around the corner, I'm expecting to "relearn" quite a few characters, so aside from the stuff that's here on this very site, I'm gonna get in there and find out some stuff on my own, even if I have to lose matches gracefully... I'm still gonna come out with nuggets of info that I can share with others... Even with the gangload of games I'm playing now, new or old, I'll still be doing the same thing, and sharpening my skills...

Real quick, for those that chose "other", which games are people willing to play??? I mean for me I'll play any game, but this list will be strictly SNK-related, so for me its:

Samsho IV
Samsho Sen
Samsho II
World Heroes Perfect
World Heroes Jet
Breakers Revenge
Galaxy Fight (classic!!!)
I guess Waku Waku 7
Power Instinct Matrimelee
SvC Chaos
Any other KoF/SNK game not listed

If any of these games are on Arclive, GGPO, xbla, or psn, I'll do my part and try to get on whatever game that's got people that wanna battle... If there's serious people, I'll even stick it out on Daraku Tenshii or Buriki One (Gai Tendo is the only reason I'd play that game though)...

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »
Lol, we need more breakers revenge, the game is incredible broken, but funny at the same time

Waifu Material