Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 553933 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2010 on: May 09, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
Time to prove him wrong!

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2011 on: May 09, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
This won't happen. People just don't pick up her and that's all. There is no any "vocal mass" for such demand. Is not K' case, or Kula... Everybody is complaining about Terry being low tier, even if Terry is far better than Mai.
She's in the game and her tits bounce, right? Then Mai it's OK  >:(

Hmmm, if this was another company, I'd agree. But SNKP is fairly nice about trying to actually round out their whole cast, as opposed to just 100% playing favorites.

I mean, really, Chin was one of the most complete characters in XII. Could it be because he was small, and easier to work on? Sure. But the fact they even WANTED to work on him that much... when they can, they really seem to try and give everyone a fair turn at improvements, new moves, etc.

I also found it rather funny, that as much as Frionel was talking about how bad he felt for Mai, one of the guys they interviewed on impressions talked at how much he enjoyed this new Mai, like how strong her projectile game was, for one thing.

It's be nice to see someone take to Mai, like that guy who'se taken to Maxima in the Osaka VS videos. After burning through the top tiers, he really handles shop with Maxima, unafraid to use meters and HD, allowing him to truly shine at his maximum potential. The tiers in this game do seem to mean much less, when you put the characters in capable hands.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 09, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
Time to prove him wrong!

Have to wait for console version comes out...! But, it will be my main objective XD

Or maybe I have a chance to try out the game this summer... I'm planning travel to Japan  :)
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 09, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
Mai's definitely not horrible in the game, she can hold her own but she just has limited options.  I know, CMD.Duc (Ash), 4leaf, and now The Answer all play her and we like her very much, but she does have her challenges.  I was explaining to The Answer that we're just spoiled with some characters that have great invincible Ex specials (which she lacks) that make her feel inferior, but in the end it's just finding ways around it without feeling handicapped.  Let's not forget, the 1st runner up in SBO had Mai on her team.

---

As for the developers supposedly scared to balance the console to keep arcade owners happy--I find that an acceptable excuse maybe 2 years ago, but now a days when you can patch games and receive updates why would that matter?  Furthermore, the arcades have been milking XIII since the console isn't out yet for ages.  It's the longest it's taken for a console version to come out, so I dunno.

Finally, I can't help but feel a little warm inside to know that SNKP supposedly cares about the international scene.  To me, that breaks down to mainly the US and Europe but seeing the success of SFIV here in the US, that's probably their main focus.  Break it down a little further there's only several pockets of the US that play XIII...so it's kinda cool to know they have us on radar. =)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:20:14 PM by Kane317 »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 09, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »
lets not forget its complete bs that a new arcade version will cost arcade owner any money at all. what about the new system that we where discussing a few days or week ago.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 09, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
I agree with Kane317 regarding Mai, I personally did feel like Mai was crap at a moment since I've been using her for a few weeks now. I was at the point of completely forgetting about her but after having that talk with Kane about being spoiled with other characters I did realized that and picked her up again. Yesterday I took her to the lab and was able to learn a few variations of her HD combos, hopefully I'm able to show them next time we do some recording.

Regarding Arcade/Console discussion, I don't think updating the arcade version to the "rebalanced" console version should be a problem now that NesicaLive is available in Japan. In the other hand, those of us in the US who own an arcade version of the game would be pretty much out of luck if they chose to go with NesicaLive instead of the HDD update.

@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 09, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »
I agree with Kane317 regarding Mai, I personally did feel like Mai was crap at a moment since I've been using her for a few weeks now. I was at the point of completely forgetting about her but after having that talk with Kane about being spoiled with other characters I did realized that and picked her up again. Yesterday I took her to the lab and was able to learn a few variations of her HD combos, hopefully I'm able to show them next time we do some recording.

Regarding Arcade/Console discussion, I don't think updating the arcade version to the "rebalanced" console version should be a problem now that NesicaLive is available in Japan. In the other hand, those of us in the US who own an arcade version of the game would be pretty much out of luck if they chose to go with NesicaLive instead of the HDD update.

but lets be serious here, the US and the EU aint arcade markets they really could give a fuck about. theres 20 arcade cabinets in the americas and EU combined, max probably. hardly worth it from a business perspective.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #2017 on: May 09, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
In regards to using NesicaLIVE to update KoF XIII... that's not possible in it's current state, last we've heard.

The update to version 1.1 was expensive, as we've heard before for SNKP, because they shipped out entire harddrives with the new version on them. I believe they mentioned that one was free. But if they have to do it again, they might be forced to make arcades pay, if they choose such an expensive method again.

Now if XIII was ported onto the NesicaLIVE service, that'd be a great way to get arcade and consoles to match effectively. The fact they already have 98FE and 2002UM on it at least say they have experience with it. Perhaps they developed those 2 varieties, in order to prepare for "porting" XIII to it.

It'd be great if they could set up a Nesica-like system for worldwide use... if they could become half as popular as the old Multi-game SNK cabs of the 90s, it'd really help arcade game distribution in the US...

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 09, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »

but lets be serious here, the US and the EU aint arcade markets they really could give a fuck about. theres 20 arcade cabinets in the americas and EU combined, max probably. hardly worth it from a business perspective.

You are absolutely right, and that's why I ain't even trippin'
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:16 AM »
mvs where the golden days when things where fresh and everything was developing so nicely. man SSII on neo cd in 94 was some next level shit (as where the loads).

too bad arcade gaming wont be returning here. the system is really useful for asian countries (or just japan). most logical choice for another arcade revision for 13 after console would be this way. at least if 13 and extras are coming, which im assuming they are (lets hope for some extras).

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 10, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »
Yeah, let's stick with the KOF XIII subject for the mean time.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 10, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Man... with me not being able to try out this game, I'll gladly take any information about this game.

I would like to know if there's a web page with the team stories for XIII translated into English. That should keep me busy for about 20 minutes xD

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 10, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
Yeah, let's stick with the KOF XIII subject for the mean time.

Moved the Console version talk here.

---

Aha!  I knew there was a Balance issues and constructive suggestions thread somewhere; moved all the balancing suggestions there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:40:19 PM by Kane317 »

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »
I would like to know if there's a web page with the team stories for XIII translated into English.

+1000

I would like to know this too, i've read some summaries of can't remember which story, but that's it.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 11, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »
man we have over 1,000 members now. Hopefully when XIII hits consoles we can help turn all those people into competent players
" you fight well in the old style"