Author Topic: The Bracket: When Worlds Collide! Discussion Thread  (Read 9706 times)

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
Re: The ReVolution 2011: When Worlds Collide! Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »
I may show up depending on which weekend it is. I won'y be able to attend the weekend before July 4th, but will be able to the weekend after.

Date we have is July 2nd and 3rd, 2011, that is set in stone.

Ok well I'll check up later when the date you set is finalized. July 4th is a holiday as you know, but it's also an anniversary with my gf.

I really hope you can make it, it's going to be lots of fun and we need the best Ash player in the US for the 5v5 exhibition :).

I might be able to go if I buy her a diamond ring =P

Well you are not getting any younger lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Dark Geese

Re: The Bracket: When Worlds Collide! Discussion Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:34 AM »
Mr. KOF- Since we have the all-stars lining up in TJ for the older and newer games (98UM, KOF 2002 UM, XI, 13), I am going to make one last petition for you:

You can retire the older games (98UM, KOFXI and 2002 UM etc) after THIS tournament...so please enter the 98UM, 2002 UM, and KOFXI tournaments, because there will be some strong competition (wayy stronger than EVO 2009 and NDP 2009 COMBINED I assure you, times that by about 15 to 30 at least)..if anything we will know you don't play the games anymore and I will make that evident, but please at least enter them!

We can make this a memorable tournament if people participate in more than just KOF13!!!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:05:40 AM by Dark Geese »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
if people participate in more than just KOF13!!!

There's something more than XIII?  Surely you jest. =)   I of course don't speak for John, but what's the point if he has no sparring partner to train for the older ones.  It's like calling out Jordan (No, John you're not MJ hehe) and playing him 1v1 when he hasn't practice nor in his prime anymore.  Even if you beat him, would the results really mean anything?  I understand the sake of hype, for competition--but what's the point if the other person isn't really competing?

To me, the other KOFs are like older model cars.  You're pitting up a '95 Mustang vs a '95 Camaro...it's still interesting but whoever wins it's pretty moot in the big picture of things if ask me my humble opinion because you're competing and older model.  Meanwhile, everyone's competing with the '11 vs '11 models...but I guess to each and his own. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:15:34 AM by Kane317 »

Dark Geese

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 05:18:35 AM »

There's something more than XIII?  Surely you jest. =)   I of course don't speak for John, but what's the point if he has no sparring partner to train for the older ones.  It's like calling out Jordan (No, John you're not MJ hehe) and playing him 1v1 when he hasn't practice nor in his prime anymore.  Even if you beat him, would the results really mean anything?  I understand the sake of hype, for competition--but what's the point if the other person isn't really competing?

To me, the other KOFs are like older model cars.  You're pitting up a '95 Mustang vs a '95 Camaro...it's still interesting but whoever wins it's pretty moot in the big picture of things if ask me my humble opinion because you're competing and older model.  Meanwhile, everyone's competing with the '11 vs '11 models...but I guess to each and his own.  

I play these other games and I don't have anyone to play against!! With all due respect I simply don't use that as an excuse, I look forward to challenging people like Kula all the time even though I have no one remotely close to my level to challenge around me.

Also I look at it like this, I'd call out Jordan right now, and if he is a TRUE competitor like me his blood will get boiling again and he'll pick up the basketball and take up the challenge again!

In regards to the challenge thing- Kula isn't gonna have it any other way. He spent time learning KOF13 because that's what you guys/Mr. KOF is playing, so he is asking that you (John) play him in the older ones too, to settle this once and for all.

Now going back to the sparring partner thing...who's my sparring partner?

Kula. How often do I play him? Once every 3-4 months. Is that enough time really? No (Next time I see Kula you guys are gonna see him). And with all due respect, you all know MightyMar was not really a sparring partner right? A sparring partner to me is someone that is on the same level or better level of play than you are...and someone you have to put everything you got or a lot in order to beat. Someone that brings out the best out of you is a sparring partner!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:23:27 AM by Dark Geese »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »

To me, the other KOFs are like older model cars.  You're pitting up a '95 Mustang vs a '95 Camaro...it's still interesting but whoever wins it's pretty moot in the big picture of things if ask me my humble opinion because you're competing and older model.  Meanwhile, everyone's competing with the '11 vs '11 models...but I guess to each and his own.  

I play these other games and I don't have anyone to play against!! With all due respect I simply don't use that as an excuse, I look forward to challenging people like Kula all the time even though I have no one remotely close to my level to challenge around me.

Also I look at it like this, I'd call out Jordan right now, and if he is a TRUE competitor like me his blood will get boiling again and he'll pick up the basketball and take up the challenge again!

In regards to the challenge thing- Kula isn't gonna have it any other way. He spent time learning KOF13 because that's what you guys/Mr. KOF is playing, so he is asking that you (John) play him in the older ones too, to settle this once and for all.

Now going back to the sparring partner thing...who's my sparring partner?

Kula. How often do I play him? Once every 3-4 months. Is that enough time really? No (Next time I see Kula you guys are gonna see him). And with all due respect, you all know MightyMar was not really a sparring partner right? A sparring partner to me is someone that is on the same level or better level of play than you are...and someone you have to put everything you got or a lot in order to beat. Someone that brings out the best out of you is a sparring partner!

You wanting to getting better, to reach Kula's level in XIII is an admirable goal hence, it make sense what you're doing (despite not having a training partner etc...).  Kula wanting to play John in XIII makes sense because he wants to beat John at the KOF he's currently best at.  

Making someone play something they no longer play and is no longer current and up-to-date version just to prove that they're the best, is meaningless and a little pretentious frankly.   He has nothing to gain and everything to lose too so why would he on top of everything mentioned? (which is btw not the case when you play Kula XIII, coz you have nothing to lose--no disrespect)

Then again the whole title thing is kinda meaningless to me too but that's a whole different topic altogether.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not John's #1 fan, I'm far from it and he knows it too but I of course respect him as a player and I think you're just wasting your time in trying to get John play the older titles but who knows...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:26:27 PM by Kane317 »

Dark Geese

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
We'll see because again I know Kula is going to negotiate something...rest assured on that...I've spoken with him a lot and he does want to play John in more than just 13...

Also how am I going to get to Kula's level in 13 if I have never even played the game?? Not going to happen. Thus in the meantime I know this much, if I get to his level in the other games, it will certainly make the transition in 13 a whole lot easier. For me I am patient in regards to when 13 hits consoles because I have other things I could be working on (98UM, 2002UM, KOFXI etc), that again when I get to a certain level (See BALA in other games) it would make it where I don't have to spend much time (Like Armando and Kula) to get to a certain level in 13...

I see it like this- The reason Armando is where he is and feels already he is going to beat John (Yes I know about this) is because though he's only spent like 3 weeks playing the game:

He knows the older games inside out. So this makes learning 13 a piece of cake.  This is the same philosophy I am using...this way it won't take me very long to be competent in KOF13 because I will be at a very competitive level in the older games and it will be just adjusting to KOF13 (which won't take very long).

I also want to make a 3 week transition just like Armando without even touching the game, and how will I do that?
Playing vs. people like Kula in the older games!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:39:38 PM by Dark Geese »

dopvlur

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
KOF 2002 (PS2)
KOF 2002 UM
KOF 98UM
KOFXI
SSF4
BBCS
MVC3

No ogKOF98?  :(. Is a good chance to prepare them against the Peruvians in 98.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:33:16 PM by dopvlur »

Dark Geese

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
KOF 2002 (PS2)
KOF 2002 UM
KOF 98UM
KOFXI
SSF4
BBCS
MVC3

No ogKOF98?  :(. Is a good chance to prepare them against the Peruvians in 98.

Ask Team Lago, they are actually running 98UM, 2002 UM, SSF4, and BB/MVC3?, so I think they can run OG 98 as well.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
there will be no OG 98 or OG 02.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Dark Geese

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »
Yeah so Team Lago won't be running that, however; I will be running a side 2002 tournament to give people another chance to go to Mexico vs. Peru with me covering 50% of the winners ticket (Who cannot be Kula, Zeus, or Luis Cha).

But..this will be on the PS2 version of 2002 UM..so that there are no problems with sticks/button configurations etc...the version is arcade perfect..you are responsible for bringing your own stick.

Please dopvlur spread that across to the Mexican players coming...

Thanks,

DG

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
We'll see because again I know Kula is going to negotiate something...rest assured on that...I've spoken with him a lot and he does want to play John in more than just 13...

Also how am I going to get to Kula's level in 13 if I have never even played the game?? Not going to happen. Thus in the meantime I know this much, if I get to his level in the other games, it will certainly make the transition in 13 a whole lot easier. For me I am patient in regards to when 13 hits consoles because I have other things I could be working on (98UM, 2002UM, KOFXI etc), that again when I get to a certain level (See BALA in other games) it would make it where I don't have to spend much time (Like Armando and Kula) to get to a certain level in 13...

I see it like this- The reason Armando is where he is and feels already he is going to beat John (Yes I know about this) is because though he's only spent like 3 weeks playing the game:

He knows the older games inside out. So this makes learning 13 a piece of cake.  This is the same philosophy I am using...this way it won't take me very long to be competent in KOF13 because I will be at a very competitive level in the older games and it will be just adjusting to KOF13 (which won't take very long).

I also want to make a 3 week transition just like Armando without even touching the game, and how will I do that?

I don't want to deviate anymore from the thread as we're seriously derailing it lol.  I agree with what you say 100% which makes sense for YOU to play the older ones till you have XIII available.  I agree that Armando has such an easy time transitioning to XIII because of his previous experience--so we agree on that. 

However, it still does not give a good enough reason for John to need to go back to previous iterations as he does not lack the foundation or experience he needs for XIII.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »

He knows the older games inside out. So this makes learning 13 a piece of cake.  This is the same philosophy I am using...this way it won't take me very long to be competent in KOF13 because I will be at a very competitive level in the older games and it will be just adjusting to KOF13 (which won't take very long).

I don't want to deviate anymore from the thread as we're seriously derailing it lol.  I agree with what you say 100% which makes sense for YOU to play the older ones till you have XIII available.  I agree that Armando has such an easy time transitioning to XIII because of his previous experience--so we agree on that. 

However, it still does not give a good enough reason for John to need to go back to previous iterations as he does not lack the foundation or experience he needs for XIII.

Thank you guys let's stick to the subject, DG remember what I've been telling you for a while, here in the states no one gives a shit about older KOF's competitively, again it is at John's decision but if he asks my opinion I will strongly suggest for him not to do it, and that's as far as I will go in this conversation.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 04:27:00 AM »

I don't want to deviate anymore from the thread as we're seriously derailing it lol.

I agree, keep things on topic fellas before I get power hungry. :)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Dark Geese

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 05:01:50 AM »
That's cool, I'm talking to Kula now so we are gunning down CAP/JuanIori and whoever else comes, if CAP makes it Kula wants a first to 15 with him in 13, 2002, and 2002 UM.

Plus Kula will have me and others to play against in the other games so no worries...he's cool with it.  We'll set up Kula vs. JuanIori in KOFXI, 2002UM, 98UM, 2002 which I think should be very interesting. JuanIori from what I hear is the "Mr. KOF of MexiCali".

Oh yeah btw, want to make absolutely certain everyone knows, for the KOF13 tournament, RAIDEN IS LEGAL.

I know some may not like him playable, some may ban him, but in this tournament, for the official KOF13 tournament, Raiden is legal.

If we ban him it would be for some exhibitions, but not for the official tournament. Me and Oscar have discussed this already!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:11:21 AM by Dark Geese »

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
I'm just going to stay focused on 13. I *might* play other KOF titles such as 2k2um and 98 um for FUN in TJ. If any top players still lose after calling me out....man...the player should just retire ;)  .  I have no problems with Raiden Users...just don't complain when you get answered with my Raiden.  I'm going to TJ on a mission to put it down and add on to the legacy!

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF