Author Topic: Getting Conversations started in online communities  (Read 1601 times)

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Getting Conversations started in online communities
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
I wanted to actually post about this in another topic but it was off topic and over a month old. I seen a lot of members talking about how they want to get people chatting about strategy, styles or whatever in an online match. I belong to the old school arcade crowd. Some days I went to the arcade to hang out. Some days I just wanted to fight it out.

I tend to be quiet in matches myself unless there is a reason to talk. Heck my ex-roommate and I barely say 2 words while fighting some days. I get why people just don't chat away and understand the urge to get people who are knowledgeable to talk. What some people might not realize is most people are open to any discussions, however, it has to be when they feel comfortable. Xbox is full of brats who do nothing, but act disrespectful to each other. For that and many other reasons the players don't always initiate conversations or care to. However a simple text for gg's or a simple question I have found has rarely gone silent.

If other people in here are really interested in getting to know the better fighters text them get a conversation started then politely ask for a chat invite. Sometimes you will get a no thanks. A reason I usually have is I'm too lazy to track down the mic, but you might be surprised how many people want to chat back.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
Re: Getting Conversations started in online communities
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
I know most times I might not say much during the fight, unless I got caught with a good combo/setup or someone did a great comeback, but during character select, and the other portions of the match where no real thinking is required I'll chat a bit... Sometimes though I will actually say something during the match, and that's dependant on what's actually going on... If I'm helping someone with a character, or if I just found out something, I might feel inclined to share the info during the match, because I'm not the type to keep information... If I'm spectating, I'll chat a bit though... If people don't really chat online, then hitting them up on the forums (provided they're signed up) is something I don't mind, as I find more people talk that way or over texting on xbl...

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Conversations started in online communities
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
Yeah, as long as it's someone I want to talk to I'll usually chat it up about the same way you mention. My thing is when you tend to be pretty decent at a game you get a lot of hating online. It got to the point where I really don't even want to wear the mic unless I have a reason to. Which I guess in a way is sad since I don't really get serious about the game anymore and love to help people learn the game to get more players over. It just becomes to big of a hassle to weed out the idiots online.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"