Author Topic: 'Sup peeps, Im the new guy  (Read 2361 times)

Mike

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
'Sup peeps, Im the new guy
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »
Hello everyone, big fan of KOF, played 99 when i was little, played some 2002 and 11, and now i started playing KOF 13, I started playing fighting games seriosly with Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6, so when i started playing KOF i kinda played it unconvetionally, but now with 13 gotta learn all the good stuff, so im glad i found this forum, seen some useful info around but like i said im new to KOF 13 and dont know all the systematics so my question(s) is this

i saw that you can do some loops, like Terry has a loop where he does punch, Burn Knuckle a few times when hes in HD, so my question is how do you do those cancels when your in hyper drive? please tell me the buttons i have to press, do i simply press punch and the burn knuckle command or do i have to press a button to cancel the burn knuckle into another punch, burn knuckle? Yes i know very noobish question but thats how you learn by being told the very buttons you have to press right?

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sup peeps, Im the new guy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
Welcome Mike.

To answer your question, HD Canceling (or Drive Canceling, or Super Canceling) doesn't require any extra button pushes. You just input the next move during the animation of the first move.

For Terry, a good starter combo to get used to is qcb+A (DC) qcb+B [weak Burn Knuckle into weak Crack Shoot]. With practice, it becomes extremely easy to pull off.

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
You can only do it that method twice, though. It's always better to activate HD mode to do freecancels mid combo.

The flow often follows a pattern, Normal -> Command Normal -> HD Mode / MAX Mode -> Normal -> Command Normal -> Special -> Loop / Juggle / Combo.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
Welcome to DC :).  Everyone here was new to KOF at some point, so don't worry about not having a strong background with the series.

I'm not familiar with Terry, but HD cancels work just like drive cancels in regular combos, so you're canceling from one special move directly into another (in SSF4 terms, it works similar to how Rose can cancel her Soul Spiral into her fireball super, except you're just using two special moves instead of a super).  You have to pay attention to whether it's a cancel or just juggling with two moves back-to-back (like how Akuma can do a SK hurricane kick and juggle with FP shoryuken), though.  And hopefully someone who actually knows a bit about Terry can come along to give you a better answer *laughs*

Edit: Damn slow typing of long answers *laughs*
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:48:34 PM by omegaryuji »
Old man/bad player

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
Terry's combo from DDTC is j.D 5C 3C [BC] 2BB 5B 236236B 236236[AC].

It's fairly simple and deals really good damage.

It would probably be better to save your meter for other characters that need it more though, Terry can deal damage without it by use of 5C 3C 214A / 2BA 3C 214A.

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
You can only do it that method twice, though. It's always better to activate HD mode to do freecancels mid combo.

Except you don't always have 100% drive, and a less damaging combo is often enough to KO your opponent. And some characters have more combo potential with DC combos rather than HD combos, such as Takuma and Kula, since they can continue building bar during their combos.

Anyway, re-reading your post Mike, I believe you're talking about Terry's HD combo that begins:

... qcb+A (HD) d_u+C (HD) qcb+C ...

Basically, you cancel from a weak Burn Knuckle into Rising Tackle, and then immediately (after one hit) into a strong Burn Knuckle. Afterwards, you can continue to juggle with Rising Tackle (DC) strong Burn Knuckle.

Maybe this answers your question!

Mike

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »
great, thanks a lot for all the answers guys, gonna try to find the right timing for the cancels then :)

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »
Except you don't always have 100% drive, and a less damaging combo is often enough to KO your opponent. And some characters have more combo potential with DC combos rather than HD combos, such as Takuma and Kula, since they can continue building bar during their combos.
Actually, Takuma is best for damage output when in HD because you can loop into his 646 -> Command grab far more in HD than you could by using 50% of it per cancel. Even if you can keep building meter, you get more reps and more damage off HD.
Not sure about Kula, I really don't pay attention to her. She doesn't strike me as much of a threat. :3

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39:12 PM »

The flow often follows a pattern, Normal -> Command Normal -> HD Mode / MAX Mode -> Normal -> Command Normal -> Special -> Loop / Juggle / Combo.

That's kinda of a loose rule.  Like Rex Dart said, now we're seeing benefit of using two DC instead of going into HD as it allows you to build meter as well, so if the damage isn't that much more with HD (Takuma, Ash, Kula and Chin are good example) then you might benefit from "longer" combos than you would had if you did it with HD.

As for the Terry stuff Mike, I have nothing more to add as it's like what they said--you just cancel one special into another special with no additional input.  Welcome to DC Mike, and there's no such thing as noob questions.