Author Topic: Official KOF XIII side tournament at EVO 2011. Sponsored by Atlus.  (Read 24588 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Official KOF XIII side tournament at EVO 2011. Sponsored by Atlus.
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
Kane- But I did say that remember I said "without knowing the situation with the sticks etc" I put that asterik there.

Again all I am about is people giving someone a free pass just because he's from SBO. That's all I am saying nothing more nothing less. Just because they played at SBO and ranked top 4 doesn't mean they are going to go anywhere in the world and win for free that's the extent of my argument nothing more nothing less.

Nobody said he was free.  Like I said, those who were there and are not just speculating, all agree that we have nothing but respect from him, you can ask The Answer yourself.  As a SBO top 4 finalist, I think it would be naive to think that he's not a strong player at the very least.

Well good, I heard a lot of comments in my inbox on youtube with people handing him the first place prize which I took as a slap to the face for both the USA and Mexico.. also read what I posted above what I edited about the stick situation, been there done that hence I quite frankly am not for arcade tournaments....

Kane in relation to your comment well again how to you address the BALA/Skato issue then? Stuff like that makes the organizers look bad to a degree as if the sticks they were using are faulty.

I don't like people saying the sticks I purchased or are using are not working when 99% of everyone else says they are fine. I'd rather just tell them to bring their own sticks that way I don't have to deal with this kind of stuff.

Yes I agree it is okay to disagree lol.

The only difference, the buttons as far as we could tell were not faulty.  We played on it before, and we played on it afterwards.  I think, if a tournament must be played in such setup, then we needed multiple back ups which we did not have and for that I take responsibility.

We couldn't just bring sticks for the first setup, since it was specifically modded to use printer cables, you should remember as it was the same one from ReveLAtions (also the setup that the controversy occurred on).  The second setup could take any ps2 stick.

As for what to do, I dunno anything about the Skato incident so I can't comment.  However, like most tourneys, if there's something wrong with your stick you need to call it early in the first round, at the very latest the beginning of round 2.  I learned it the hard way in the ignition tourney when I played Nocturnal and my stick was sticky from all the soda that was spilled onto it.  You play on if you don't call it, that's it and take the results like a man.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:30:11 PM by Kane317 »

Dark Geese

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »
Kane- But I did say that remember I said "without knowing the situation with the sticks etc" I put that asterik there.

Again all I am about is people giving someone a free pass just because he's from SBO. That's all I am saying nothing more nothing less. Just because they played at SBO and ranked top 4 doesn't mean they are going to go anywhere in the world and win for free that's the extent of my argument nothing more nothing less.

Nobody said he was free.  Like I said, those who were there and are not just speculating, all agree that we have nothing but respect from him, you can ask The Answer yourself.  As a SBO top 4 finalist, I think it would be naive to think that he's not a strong player at the very least.

Well good, I heard a lot of comments in my inbox on youtube with people handing him the first place prize which I took as a slap to the face for both the USA and Mexico.. also read what I posted above what I edited about the stick situation, been there done that hence I quite frankly am not for arcade tournaments....

Kane in relation to your comment well again how to you address the BALA/Skato issue then? Stuff like that makes the organizers look bad to a degree as if the sticks they were using are faulty.

I don't like people saying the sticks I purchased or are using are not working when 99% of everyone else says they are fine. I'd rather just tell them to bring their own sticks that way I don't have to deal with this kind of stuff.

Yes I agree it is okay to disagree lol.

The only difference, the buttons as far as we could tell were not faulty.  We played on it before, and we played on it afterwards.  I think, if a tournament must be played in such setup, then we needed multiple back ups which we did not have and for that I take responsibility.

We couldn't just bring sticks for the first setup, since it was specifically modded to use printer cables, you should remember as it was the same one from ReveLAtions (also the setup that the controversy occurred on).  The second setup could take any ps2 stick.

As for what to do, I dunno anything about the Skato incident so I can't comment.  However, like most tourneys, if there's something wrong with your stick you need to call it early in the first round, at the very latest the beginning of round 2.  I learned it the hard way in the ignition tourney when I played Nocturnal and my stick was sticky from all the soda that was spilled onto it.  You play on if you don't call it, that's it and take the results like a man.

I agree with what you say 100%, but people won't call the stick not working until in the middle of the match or if it's "not to their favor" you and I both know that happens so you just have to roll with the punches.

I also remember the "discussions" about the ReveLAtions sticks lagging  (Me, Reynald, John, RJ and Oscar were eating at the Japanese restaurant late at night before I left that morning and that's what Reynald and John were saying); and with that said I was empathizing with Oscar, yourself and all the organizers of the event because again all it takes is something that small to cast a cloud on the entire event... =(

So yeah it's quite a hassle to have 5 backups for whatever you have and then have to take responsibility because of one incident.

I applaud those that deal with that but that's a lot to deal with for me personally..

Because something as simple as that undermines all the hard work you put into a tournament as an organizer...and that's what sucks about it...

-DG
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:49:01 PM by Dark Geese »

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 02:48:28 AM »
I just wanted to express how much fun I had at this tournament. For me it was the high point of the entire Evo Championship. But it wasn't a great event just because KOF XIII is a good game. It was made great by the people who participated in it. I was worried I was going to look stupid because of my lack of experience at the game. But instead everyone made me feel really welcome. I feel that I made a lot of friends over the past weekend and now I'm all the more motivated to bring myself to the level of skill required to play on a more competitive level with everyone else.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen. Hopefully next year KOF XIII will be a main event. Because if I'm able, I totally plan to come back.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 03:09:33 AM »
I just wanted to express how much fun I had at this tournament. For me it was the high point of the entire Evo Championship. But it wasn't a great event just because KOF XIII is a good game. It was made great by the people who participated in it. I was worried I was going to look stupid because of my lack of experience at the game. But instead everyone made me feel really welcome. I feel that I made a lot of friends over the past weekend and now I'm all the more motivated to bring myself to the level of skill required to play on a more competitive level with everyone else.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen. Hopefully next year KOF XIII will be a main event. Because if I'm able, I totally plan to come back.

Definitely glad to hear this. We all hope that you, along with anyone new to KOF or non-members of the DC community, came away with a positive experience. It's what the game and the community really needs in order to make the game and the future a success. A big thank you to Atlus as well, definitely, for putting in the time and effort for the XIII showcasing. Keep playing and spreading the word. As small as a role you think that may be, it is appreciated by all of us.

elrosa

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »
I too, had a hell of a good time, got to meet Xian, and incredibly cool and noble person, and Salim, also a very nice guy, and to play with a lot of competitive players.

I got to play the producer of KOF13 and I stupidly didn't take a picture with him.... i really regret it.

I beat Poongko in KOF13 hahahaha.....

Was good to see MrKof Again after 2 years, and Kunio once more. And I rally got to meet all the Cali-Mex and LA guys, because 2 years ago, we just chatted a while, now, we are literally a Familiy xD

I think this Side Tourney was a great event and really got the peoples attention, so hopefully Next year it will be a Main event, and be it or not, I will be there for sure!

Thanks again Oscar, Kane317 and Giby for making this possible, the experience of meeting and playing new people is unique.

I'm leaving happy and satisfied, I'm leaving with more than what I expected. Thanks.

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:53 AM »
thank you so much to oscar, giby, kane, and everyone else who helped to organize the tournament this past weekend!! it was so great to see so many incredible players and so many hype matches!

this was my first kof13 tournament, and i was humbled (read: completely destroyed), but i walked away with even more determination to get better for the future, so ggs to everyone I played!

also, the console version of the game was incredible! the balance changes were really noticeable, the new stages are beautiful, and it's great! big thanks to atlas for representing!!

top 8 for AE was sick as fuck (latif is my hero!!!), but despite that, the poor quality of AE and marvel was very apparent in the top 32 for both games, in terms of game balance and depth of strategy. i personally believe that when this game comes out for console in october, people will react to how great it is, there is simply no way to ignore it. I am sooooo hype right now!!!!!
In it to win it!

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2011, 04:44:01 AM »
The true controversy comes is not so much the stick situation but with the call with Bala's matches.   First and foremost, I respect Bala's skill as a player, but I personally feel that he needs to work on his class if he wants to ever gain international respect.  This is what happened (and I know 4leaf doesnt want me to post this but too bad):

4leaf was playing Bala, and like ReveLAtions, 4leaf started off incredibly strong.  In fact, 4leaf was nearly straighting (OCVing) Bala with his Mature till Bala's last character who had about 30% life when all of a sudden Bala raised his hand saying his buttons had problem.  This was on the last round of his last character (4leaf was still on his first), when he was about to get defeated.  

Everyone watching was FURIOUS (no joke) that he would even suggest that on the 5th round.  The Cali-Mexicans themselves, El Rosa, Mr. KOF, Reynald, Abe and myself were all in agreement that 4leaf should win that round by principle alone  The 4 of us judges decided that we'll rule it in 4leaf's favor however, at the last minute 4leaf wanted to reset the game out of honor, which IMO, Bala should have declined out of good sportsmanship.

We all have played games with less than ideal settings, but true sportmanship and class that allows us to have the judgement to call something like that after the game.  As this was a high profile match everyone was watching, and since many of us discussed this throughout the night, we all noticed that there were no signs of there's-something-wrong-with-my-button-look on his face.  Afterwards, Mr KOF jumped on to test the joystick himself, nothing--just to prove a point.  In fact, when Bala was testing the button after we "stopped" the match, it looked fine to us everytime he pressed the button.  Then to add insult to injury, Bala grabs the only other Japanese stick (we all know he plays both but more comfortable with the American stick as he refused one whole tourney we had in AA, coz it was on Japanese sticks) making 4leaf playing on the American stick which we don't like playing on.

All in all, we're pretty disappointed in Bala, he may have the skill to be a champion but certainly lacks class.  I think everyone lost respect for him that day.

EDIT: 4leaf wants to clear up he actually was the one to offer Bala the Japanese stick to Bala, my bad.

Most disappointing to hear that, sad to see stuff like that. Hopefully it won't be the same people getting top 4 every tounament when the game drops.

I'm glad everyone had a good time at EVO. I'm sure the game will be a main game next year. With all the upsets happening in AE as well as new games, 2012 will be much more competitive than this years
You're too slow!!

VinnAleixoFM

• Strongest Tiger
  • Secador Oficial do Wong
    • View Profile
    • Portal Versus
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
so hopefully Next year it will be a Main event

Agreed.

KOF 13 @ EVO 2012: I BELIEVE! YOU BELIEVE! WE BELIEVE!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 05:08:13 AM »
The whole entire trip was more than we could ask for.  Yes there were speed bumps, yes we couldn't stream the top 4/8 like we had hope, and yes we wanted to have more exhibitions matches but all we sought out to display how amazing the game is and we accomplished it.  Throughout the weekend we noticed loads of people interested in the game including some pretty well known FG top players such as Juicebox, RF, LI Joe, PoongKo and so forth.  I cannot even fathom where the scene we'll be 6-12 months down the line and I think with the console release, along with all the rebalances, will really make this an instant classic along with '98 and '02.

The console version was amazing, it far exceeded even my best expectations with the balances.   Thinking back, I didn't know what to expect, I knew that we were privately invited to test the game on Thursday to see if it was fit for a tourney--at the time, all I could think about is that I hope Saiki and Billy weren't broken.  It never even occurred to me that the entire cast was rebalanced.  

I apologize for not posting more videos.  The first day I thought I was not allowed to record anything and by the second day it was open to the public so there was no way to really test anything as everyone was playing on versus.  It was probably for the best since Atlus has kindly asked us to remove any video uploaded and allow it to be "reviewed" first which of course I have now done.

They side tourney was LONG, it spanned a cool 12+ hours and we even had to take the grand finals up to the hotel room.  All 4 of us staff were pretty beat and we didn't get our first meal until after the grand finals haha (I really wanted to play more console but I couldn't really leave the area either).

I've told some of the guys already, I'm done with v1.1 for now--console is leaps and bounds ahead of v1.1 that it just doesn't feel right investing anymore time on it.  The next 12 weeks is going to be "fun" waiting for it to come out =(

Make no mistake, this isn't a negative post but in fact quite the opposite, it's really a compliment on how well made the console version and I know I'm not alone on this.

I want to thank Atlus again and again for putting on a great show.   I cannot imagine a better company in handling the US publishing of XIII.

El Rosa, it's good seeing you again after 2 years as well, I cannot wait till you move up to SD hopefully in 6 months, we'll be definitely playing each other a lot as I have a lot to learn from you!

Salim, I still cannot believe you remembered who I used when I went to visit you in 2001 lol.  It was good seeing you again as well and I hope we can play more in the future!

I'm actually off to eat dinner with No.17 before he leaves so I'm going to cut this short.  Evo was off the hook and we're all going to see you guys next year, no excuses!

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 06:35:15 AM »
Xian who plays a typical Singapore/HK layout of:
A B C
D

Oh snap!!! That reminds me of the setup I had to use when I was chilling in HK and certain parts of Korea. It was like this though:

[A] [C]
   [D]

Playing as Guile on SvC was still managable though... Any KOF though, yeah it took some getting used to.

Anyway, good stuff to all you cats!!! This is definitely a sign of good things to come!!!

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
Okay folks, this thread is closed and moved to the archives. Please continue discussion in the Evo Results thread and take a hike: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1130.msg22752#msg22752

:)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."