Dream Cancel Forum

News:

Join us in the Dream Cancel Discord Server! CLICK HERE!

The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread

Started by krazykone123, July 28, 2010, 06:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiol

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

MUSOLINI

hey fiol they got that cab in china as well? you seen the game?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Rex Dart

Even with the balance problems, KOF XIII is still an incredibly fun game. If SNK puts the same amount of effort into the console port as, say, KOF XI, 98UM or 2002UM, I expect it to be the best-selling KOF to date. I know that's not saying much, but still.

WITH better balance, the game will have longer legs, and more people will be interested in playing seriously.

MUSOLINI

your also forgetting the extras, like extras bg's and extra teams in it. if they balance it out and have all this, 13 should rule.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

marchefelix

Quote from: Aenthin on May 03, 2011, 05:19:34 AM
Quote from: marchefelix on May 03, 2011, 04:21:43 AM
Quote from: Delta on April 30, 2011, 06:10:01 AM
MVC2 in the top 10? That's madness XD

No surprises in the top 3, and well, at least KOF XIII is still there.

I don't see it -_-

インカムランキング

ビデオゲーム部門 ランキング
1位 機動戦士ガンダム エクストリームバーサス<バンダイナムコゲームス> / 266.7 pts.
2位 鉄拳6 BLOODLINE REBELLION <バンダイナムコゲームス> / 245.5 pts.
3位 BLAZBLUE CONTINUUM SHIFT II <アークシステムワークス> / 229.8 pts.
4位 SUPER STREET FIGHTER Ⅳ ARCADE  EDITION<カプコン> / 156.2 pts.
5位 Virtua Fighter5 FINAL SHOWDOWN  <セガ> / 153.3 pts.
6位 アルカナハート3 <エクサム> / 95.9 pts.
7位 MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code <エコールソフトウェア> /86.7 pts.
8位 STREET FIGHTER III 3rd STRIKE <カプコン> / 85.3 pts.
9位 THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII <SNK PLAYMORE> / 78.4 pts.
10位  MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2<カプコン> / 72.3 pts.

What are #1 and #6?

Giby

#1 is that Gundam game and #6 is Arcana Hearts 3
www.snk-capcom.com
www.arcadeshock.com

Kane317

Quote from: Ash on May 03, 2011, 03:24:09 AM
Ignition did an okay job on marketing (XII) and it did increase sales since the game actually sold more copies than any previous KOF since the mid 90s. The game flopped because it was a bad game, not because one character had an overpowered, but not game breaking move. You said to be successful the game needs to be good and balanced. XII is one of the most balanced KOF but is just not a good game, with bad netcode. XIII IS already a good game with being one of the most balanced KOFs to date even in it's current state. If it wasn't I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be playing it now (just like how we stopped playing XII 5-6 months after release). Also I don't think you would have bought the board and game if it was bad / too unbalanced.

Thought this discussion was dead eh...hehe. 

XII didn't succeed for many reasons but here's my take on XII's lack of success:  XII was relatively balanced.   XII had great redrawn HD sprites.  XII had a great marketing team hate it or love it--best KOF has had in the US at least by miles (local FREE tournament, invited the two cast members from the movie, and giving away a cabinet, are you kidding me?) 

XII was meant to be a reboot, like SFIV it was meant to cater to the mainstream crowd and draw in new players while at the same time, keep the old fans happy.  It didn't do the latter very well except a handful of western players (SoCal peeps and the UK peeps--maybe 15 people total) and the mainstream part failed due to the netcode.  Let's say the second part didn't fail, and the fans loved it but the netcode was crappy, I think the game would still be alive and kicking as the smaller locals scenes would have to promote the game themselves via tourneys etc... 

It was definitely not the balance of the XII that killed it, although I would still to have liked to see more balance to XII but that's jut me.

For the record, I used to be "no good netcode=fail" but after seeing our XIII scene still going strong here, I've adjusted that attitude to "no good netcode=more effort to grow the scene, but plausible if there's a will and a great community like ours".

Over the weekend we had this discussion with Gunsmith, Giby, Jaime and the rest of the SoCal crew and KOF players/fan are the most hardcore fans period.  We're still around FFS after what's going on out there with the competition.  We travel FAR for games, and I mean locally and internationally (personally I've been to seven different countries to play KOF) because we love that damn game.

Which brings me to my next point, as long as the console comes out, and as long as it's not WORST than the arcade version, it'll survive and not flop as long we promote it locally with other players.  Any other extra goodies is just icing on the cake.  Will it hit the big stage in EVO this year or next? I don't know, that's certainly going to be a challenge--is it just a matter of time?  Absolutely.

Ash

Quote from: Kane317 on May 03, 2011, 10:13:38 PM
Quote from: Ash on May 03, 2011, 03:24:09 AM
Ignition did an okay job on marketing (XII) and it did increase sales since the game actually sold more copies than any previous KOF since the mid 90s. The game flopped because it was a bad game, not because one character had an overpowered, but not game breaking move. You said to be successful the game needs to be good and balanced. XII is one of the most balanced KOF but is just not a good game, with bad netcode. XIII IS already a good game with being one of the most balanced KOFs to date even in it's current state. If it wasn't I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be playing it now (just like how we stopped playing XII 5-6 months after release). Also I don't think you would have bought the board and game if it was bad / too unbalanced.

Thought this discussion was dead eh...hehe.  

XII didn't succeed for many reasons but here's my take on XII's lack of success:  XII was relatively balanced.   XII had great redrawn HD sprites.  XII had a great marketing team hate it or love it--best KOF has had in the US at least by miles (local FREE tournament, invited the two cast members from the movie, and giving away a cabinet, are you kidding me?)  

XII was meant to be a reboot, like SFIV it was meant to cater to the mainstream crowd and draw in new players while at the same time, keep the old fans happy.  It didn't do the latter very well except a handful of western players (SoCal peeps and the UK peeps--maybe 15 people total) and the mainstream part failed due to the netcode.  Let's say the second part didn't fail, and the fans loved it but the netcode was crappy, I think the game would still be alive and kicking as the smaller locals scenes would have to promote the game themselves via tourneys etc...  

It was definitely not the balance of the XII that killed it, although I would still to have liked to see more balance to XII but that's jut me.

For the record, I used to be "no good netcode=fail" but after seeing our XIII scene still going strong here, I've adjusted that attitude to "no good netcode=more effort to grow the scene, but plausible if there's a will and a great community like ours".

Over the weekend we had this discussion with Gunsmith, Giby, Jaime and the rest of the SoCal crew and KOF players/fan are the most hardcore fans period.  We're still around FFS after what's going on out there with the competition.  We travel FAR for games, and I mean locally and internationally (personally I've been to seven different countries to play KOF) because we love that damn game.

Which brings me to my next point, as long as the console comes out, and as long as it's not WORST than the arcade version, it'll survive and not flop as long we promote it locally with other players.  Any other extra goodies is just icing on the cake.  Will it hit the big stage in EVO this year or next? I don't know, that's certainly going to be a challenge--is it just a matter of time?  Absolutely.

Considering the fact that there is probably will be little to no advertising/marketing effort by SNKP, it's pretty much up to the community to report. I was talking briefly with The Answer about this, and we definitely want to do more when the console is slated for release. What I'd like to see happen is the following:

1. EVO side tournament gather at least 32 players (posisbly up to 60 for live streaming)
2. 1 Week prior to release written article/interview + podcasts on SRK / IGN
3. First Wednesday before or after release, to appear as special game on Level Up Wednesday Fight Nights

Any other ideas on what else we can try (let's be realistic)? I know a sponsored large cash prize tournament would help in getting the better players to try it. This would then spread to their friends and so forth, but we know that SNKP would most likely not sponsor cash prizes. MK9 had $21,000 pot tournament announced a month or so before it's release and pretty sure it got the attention of a lot of players.

FataCon

Quote from: Ash on May 03, 2011, 10:31:55 PM
MK9 had $21,000 pot tournament announced a month or so before it's release and pretty sure it got the attention of a lot of players.

This is actually the exact reason why top players are playing the game. JWong himself actually stated he'd try the game once he heard about the cash pot. Now, as you stated, we know that SNKP doesn't have the bank to pull something together like that for XIII. Honestly, I don't even have any good ideas myself concerning promotion of the game aside from taking it to tourneys and having it stream. Keep in mind that, this year, people are already focused on CS2, SFxT, and TTT2 even though they're not out yet. People will gloss over a legit game simply because they're focused on something else coming out. Something to think about.

Kane317

Quote from: Ash on May 03, 2011, 10:31:55 PM
1. EVO side tournament gather at least 32 players (posisbly up to 60 for live streaming)
2. 1 Week prior to release written article/interview + podcasts on SRK / IGN
3. First Wednesday before or after release, to appear as special game on Level Up Wednesday Fight Nights

All great ideas.  I want to add that when we do get it to EVO as a side tourney, there's no reason why we can't pull 64 participants easily.  Think NCR, it was 42 sign ups already, and that's just one region in one state.

THE ANSWER

Hey Ash here's 2 quotes from a combo some guys were having in SRK about the KOF XIII console:

Quote from: Athrex;10599841They already announced they aren't changing balance at all.  Get ready to get dropkicked.

Quote from: ifridflame;10600442well then. I´m already announcing i won´t buy this game in that case. Good luck KOF XIII. 1 sale less ¬¬

Just wanted to share that as since that is was one of my points, but we talked and I think we understand each other now.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

desmond_kof

"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

HaxMurderer

Quote from: THE ANSWER on May 04, 2011, 09:18:18 AM
Hey Ash here's 2 quotes from a combo some guys were having in SRK about the KOF XIII console:

Quote from: Athrex;10599841They already announced they aren't changing balance at all.  Get ready to get dropkicked.

Quote from: ifridflame;10600442well then. I´m already announcing i won´t buy this game in that case. Good luck KOF XIII. 1 sale less ¬¬

Just wanted to share that as since that is was one of my points, but we talked and I think we understand each other now.

Aaaaaaaaaah yes the ever present "GIVE ME MY FREE WIN I PAID GOOD MONEY!" guy.

Shiranui_ninja

Yes! That Mature in the main page rules the world! :D
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature