Author Topic: Skull Girls  (Read 38576 times)

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
Re: Skull Girls
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »
I just watched it. Though I honestly can't tell whether this is going to be good or not. It's got a lot of fantastic ideas, but being produced by an American studio and the sheer possibilities with the system worry me. There's many ways it can go right as it can go wrong.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
Well at least it's only $15, so the price for getting it and it being meh is pretty low.

On one hand, I hate all the people dickriding the game just so they can act like "true" players or whatever, even if they've been known to absolutely hate Marvel-styled games or airdash fighters.

On the other hand, I hate those passing on it just because the visuals don't suit their fancy.

It's going to be an interesting release to say the least, but I think as long as you don't hate airdash fighters and the like, a try should be given, it will have a Demo like all PSN/XBLA games so...yeah, no excuse to not at least giving it a try for people in general.

I'll admit though I wasn't hyped in the least for the longest time, I think Valentine's moveset and Double helped a bit on my end.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 07:31:06 AM »
I'm still getting it definitely and I have been for a while because I love the art style, the crazy ideas, Mike Z and Michuru Yamane. On the other hand, I have no idea how this'll turn out in the long run. I just hope they're going to support it in the long run.

My hype has only died down because P4U is the game I never knew I wanted and is sucking my hype for everything else atm.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
Ah, don't you love that?  The games you never knew you wanted becoming a love affair.

Phoenix Wright series for me.  Now I know true evil and great justice.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:38 AM »
Tell me about it. I still get chills thinking about the final case in Trials and Tribulations. Man, Godot is such an awesome villain.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
Tell me about it. I still get chills thinking about the final case in Trials and Tribulations. Man, Godot is such an awesome villain.

Especially when Cornered hit...shit, that song alone should be considered the ultimate Comeback Mechanic (Kurain Spirit Channeling notwithstanding with Mia saving your ass every two seconds).

Still not my favorite Phoenix moment though.  I have one I put above that for Nick himself.

Cannot wait for AA5, I may hate Capcom for a lot of shit, but they generally handle the AA series very well.  Only two things that annoy me are how JFA was generally meh until the final case (though it made up for it, and T&T completely brought shit home) and them not localizing AAI2, though at least I can understand the reasoning for that.

It's one of only 3 Single Player game series that would make me drop any FG I'm playing at the moment in order to get on it, with ME being one (though that's done now so it's gone...fucking ending...GAH) and KH (though the games come out so infrequently it's never a problem).

Oh, and as for Skullgirls, I wonder if the in-depth tutorial will really pay off.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
I feel the same for JFA, that final case was insane, but I did enjoy the MasquedeMasque case and I also felt AAI1 wasn't all that good either, even if it had some great ideas.

I just hope that if they're going for a new one that they bring back Apollo and Trucy, they're a fantastic duo and I think they've done all they can with Nick anyway.

I really do hope that tutorial mode is worth it. I'm getting pretty sick of trial modes lately because they teach you the most pointless shit for the most part. SFxTK being the worst offender of all with plenty of pointless links and meter wasting combos and they never bother to demonstrate how it's done.

I honestly have to ask. How hard is it to teach players proper bnbs for once?

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »
Mask*Demasque was a pretty good case but only due to the characters, not so much the case itself, Luke Atmey single-handedly brought the word Zvarri back into people's vocabulary.  And yeah, AAI wasn't that great and didn't sell that well, hence why I said that I could understand Capcom's POV of not localizing it.  Giving Edgeworth his own cute assistant was a nice touch though, and like every other assistant, a good foil to him.

I would assume AA5 will indeed bring back Apollo and Trucy, though that might cause problems with those who were not amused at AJ's developments of things like Nick getting disbarred and...well Maya being completely absent other than a subtle line about the Steel Samurai DVDs.  But I doubt Capcom's going to make AJ non-canon so they kind of back themselves into that corner, since if we take the actual dates presented in the series seriously...Nick gets disbarred not too long after T&T (guess taking down Godot got to his head).

I do like AJ though, and seeing the fanmade case, Turnabout Substitution really helped with that.  Just wish Klavier wasn't so damn helpful in the actual game.  It worked for Edgeworth because he built up to that moment of being the prosecutor of Truth, and the fact that you still had to deal with Franziska for most of the game.  Took the edge off of most of the cases and takes away a lot of Apollo's cred.  Compare PW's fourth case to AJ's.  Klavier practically helped you half the case, and you still only won on a technicality and the reward is...putting the blame on a guy already in prison for Murder...hurray.  Another reason why I liked the fanmade Case 5 for AJ, it instantly upped his cred massively and gave him someone more evil to deal with than even Dahlia Hawthorne.

And yeah, we need a solid tutorial mode...well, not so much us but in general.  But it IS hard to teach proper BnB's because...well, most BnB's change over a game's lifespan, especially for more open games like a Marvel or a Skullgirls, or even SFxT (though yeah, those trials are pathetic).  The irony is, KOF has no excuse since most of the BnB's for characters carried over from arcade version AND SNKP is obviously competent enough in knowing its balancing and development that they release random vids every so often highlighting things like that yet their Trial mode is more about challenge than actual BnBs.

It's better to just have a general tutorial.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
It's rather irritating that Capcom won't release the much improved AAI2, just because 1 understandably sold badly. It also doesn't help that Ghost Trick tanked hard for being such a fantastic game.

The main reason why they didn't like AJ to begin with was just the lack of recognizable characters from the get go. You're obviously going to get people that just don't like change, when change is needed. I don't mind how the case turned out, because for one, AJ is even more novice than PW ever was and didn't have the benefit of having Maya call on the dead. Second, the whole point of the game was to expose the broken Japanese system of law. For better or worse. I thought it was genius, because it actually did impact the criminal justice system in Japan. Take that as you will, but it's the most important case technically in the PW universe.

I have no idea about no fanmade episodes, but I don't take things as fanon. Regardless, I'd like to see Apollo and Trucy grow up with their own trilogy.

Not really, they've obviously have had to have play-tested the game to some extent, there's no reason that they can't at least teach you simple ABCxxSpecial or ABCxxSuper or ABCBCAxxSuper. I can still forgive KOF because they haven't really done anything like it and I'm guessing by "trial" they thought "TRAILS". I dunno, at least they had the decency of teaching you at least one interesting concept per trial and giving you a demo of it. As for Marvel, there isn't any reason why they couldn't at least have tried harder in Ultimate. They still gave you no demos and more pointless and meter-depletion combos.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »
Well who knows, with UMvC3 out with Nick in, and AA5's announcement, there could be enough outcry to get AAI2 localized down the line.  I'm not that into AAI, so I'm not that concerned about it as long as we get AA5.

And I understand WHY Apollo won like he did in Case 4 and how important that was.  I just wish he did it against anyone other than Kristoph who was already serving a Life Sentence, or make it so Kristoph got a lighter sentence or something the first time we got him.  It made his breakdown...stupid.  I understand the motivations for it but he was never practicing law again, so I doubt it would've been as personal.  And I think it's less about the new characters and more about Nick just being so jaded (even though we eventually find out he's pretty much the same on the inside).  It seemed so out of character for Nick, even being in his somewhat depressed state, to be a bit of a douche to Apollo and to be so vague so often.  I got used to it but I can still see the problems.

And no I don't consider Case 5: Turnabout Substitution to be fanon.  I just really liked the case and thought it was well done for the most part.  It's obviously not fanon for a couple of reasons, to which I won't disclose in case you'd want to see for yourself but yeah.  It just gave a great idea on the possibility of what would happen if Apollo had to ride solo through huge cases, no help from Nick (except random messages by phone), Trucy or Klavier.  Keeps you nice and sharp for AA5.

As for the trials, not having done anything like it isn't much of an excuse honestly.  It takes 5 seconds to see other Trial Modes, see what the fans didn't like, and how to adapt it to your game.  Okay, maybe not 5 seconds but it's not a hard thought process.  Marvel could've tried harder in Ultimate, but again Marvel is the one franchise known for having so much shit change over the course of a lifespan, even something as...abrasive as Marvel 3.  I didn't mind their trials too much, the only problem I had with them were the trials that used OBVIOUSLY useless assists.  Seeing combos having to use Wesker's Jaguar Kick assist makes my head hurt.

In any case, I'm certain they'll have the tutorial downpat, I'm just wondering if it will do good for those actually trying to learn.

Anyway, off to bed...I need sleep.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
The reason for his breakdown was basically keeping the status quo. He obviously didn't mind killing people if it had to do with keeping the criminal justice system the way he wanted it to be, probably due to special interests and I'm pretty it he did because he hated PW, seeing how calm he was getting convicted for it.

As for Case 5, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. Honestly, you don't even link or anything talking like it's a matter of common knowledge.

Not really, because it "worked" in other games apparently. SNKP is only following the competition and they're not exactly the best listeners because they still hired GSS again for their netcode.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
Yeah, hatred of Nick does cause some epic breakdowns.  Honestly I dunno how they can top the ones already done.  Though it reminds me of another point...unfortunately we've become (or at least I have, but I assume it stands for everyone) accustomed to knowing who's the real villain quite easily.  There's no curveball they can really throw at us anymore.  I mean, everyone's been the villain, random people showing up, Chief of Police, Prosecutors, Dead People, even our freaking clients.  Unless the Judge or Maya/Trucy want to go on a killing spree...that doesn't leave a lot of options.

As for Case 5,

There, the "trailer".  You can either download shit and play it yourself on there or just youtube a playthrough.  I didn't link anything before because there was five different things I could've, so I figured you'd just Google it or something.

Yeah...I should really not overestimate a company's ability to listen.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 11:43:52 PM »
It runs on Windoze, doesn't it? Dammit. I'll have to wait until I boot an OS7 on my Mac.

So does anyone know how the ratio system in the game works? It seems like playing this Marvel style seems to be the most appropriate, even with the really small cast.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 11:46:21 PM »
It has a Mac Version I believe.  Google the main site, I think it mentions it, I'd link it but I don't remember the exact site name.

And what about it?  Less characters = More Damage + More Health (well, adjusted ratio of health).  Nothing really crazy about it.

And we'll see, who knows.  But as I sort of expected the 4/4 date was taken down from the Marketplace.  The wait continues.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 01:05:43 AM »
Found it, didn't know you had an overarching game maker for this. Man, this fanbase is something else. It's a shame Capcom doesn't give a shit about anything that isn't SF or RE. They really could've made this a hit had they marketed it properly, just like they screwed up Monster Hunter over here.

I was asking because unlike CvS you only had more characters, but in this one you also get assists as well. I just wanted to know the specifics like, 4:3:1 or something like that. But I guess that isn't common knowledge, who knows?

Shit, worries me that it might not be until summer. Wouldn't surprise me seeing how retarded and lazy the XBLA and PSN schedules are. Gotta pay for better schedules nowadays.