Author Topic: The Tekken Tag 2 Thread  (Read 70747 times)

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
Re: The Tekken Tag 2 Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
VF and Tekken aren't that bad. The stigma with VF is that there's so many options and things to do, but you have to know the frames, and know the hit types (and flashes) to be able to figure out what to do. Whatever with that!!! I can say I'm a pretty decent Jeffry, and after not playing for awhile, I can still hold it down without necessarily knowing all of that. Even in FS Sega's making it easier so people don't really have to worry about frame counting, 'cause most cats don't sweat themselves crunching the numbers. You just know from your gut what to do and when. Simple.

The stigma with Tekken is "OMG I can't break throws". There's also the "there's so many characters and I have to know all block strings to counter properly". It's not that ridiculous imo. The more you play, the easier it gets. You don't have to carry a small notebook with all the character data to be a solid player. I remember at one point during the TTT days people were crying about not being able to chicken. Just like throw breaks, just practice that joint and get in there and apply it. It's not rocket science.

As for SC, it's easy to get into, but I still feel that it's deep just in a different way. Situational awareness is far more important in this game. There's no Korean Backdashing, Taiwan Stepping, but there's wavedashing for some. Range plays an important part of the game. Not too much zoning can be done in VF or Tekken, but it can be done in SC. Knowing options off of a successful parry based on the parry type plays a role also. It's not just a successful evade, or a successful low parry with 1-2 options or a 50% combo.

I didn't mean literally like Rocket Science, but it's far and away a lot more knowledge to take in than 2D fighters. Anybody who's anybody has told me the sheer amount of information you need in order to get good at VF and Tekken. (I'll sidestep on SC, because I will say I'm biased because I'm truly not a big fan of it and it's only gotten worse since 1.)

Now if you're pointing out 1-frame links and different jump types compared to Tekken and VF's demanding list of trails, you've got to be joking. It's really nothing compared to it. Most people shy away from Tekken and VF for a reason and it isn't just because of "OMG throws!1!" or something like that. They truly are way too technical for their own good. When I see Tekken players whip out notebooks full of frame data, when there's no such thing anywhere else, when top players can consistently mess up their characters combos because they're way too strict for their own good and the such, there is a problem. You say that it's something that comes with play, but that can be literally applied to EVERYTHING from chess, baseball, go, Fighter's History and you name it.

The fact is that both VF and TK are both brutal and unforgiving in high level play and there's a very real reason why they don't enjoy the same competitive community that SF, KOF and Marvel have, even though in Tekken's case it sells better than all those combined. You are literally the only person that has told me otherwise. I don't want to sound rude, but this stuff ain't no joke.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
Oh my bad, I was referring to the option select aspect of chickening, where you'd hold a button while doing a move to quickly chicken if an opponent were to do a reversal (i.e. - doing Kazuya's wgf while holding 2 to be ready for a f+2+4 input if you were reversed).

As for the netsu, there's just too much hate all around... Maybe it's their way of "balancing" it...

Okay gotcha I have a bad tendency to sometimes forget about each specific term and I forgot all about that so it's more my bad. As for the netsu I think they wanted it to have an impact on team selection so they implemented it in a way that your less likely to just pick Lars and Bruce cause they can do high damage easier than most characters.

I didn't mean literally like Rocket Science, but it's far and away a lot more knowledge to take in than 2D fighters. Anybody who's anybody has told me the sheer amount of information you need in order to get good at VF and Tekken. (I'll sidestep on SC, because I will say I'm biased because I'm truly not a big fan of it and it's only gotten worse since 1.)

Now if you're pointing out 1-frame links and different jump types compared to Tekken and VF's demanding list of trails, you've got to be joking. It's really nothing compared to it. Most people shy away from Tekken and VF for a reason and it isn't just because of "OMG throws!1!" or something like that. They truly are way too technical for their own good. When I see Tekken players whip out notebooks full of frame data, when there's no such thing anywhere else, when top players can consistently mess up their characters combos because they're way too strict for their own good and the such, there is a problem. You say that it's something that comes with play, but that can be literally applied to EVERYTHING from chess, baseball, go, Fighter's History and you name it.

The fact is that both VF and TK are both brutal and unforgiving in high level play and there's a very real reason why they don't enjoy the same competitive community that SF, KOF and Marvel have, even though in Tekken's case it sells better than all those combined. You are literally the only person that has told me otherwise. I don't want to sound rude, but this stuff ain't no joke.

When you talk about Tekken players carrying around notebooks a)it's not like every player does this and only a very small subset of players do this and b)the players who do this like JustFrameJames for example have said in interviews that they don't do it because the game is so damn complex they have to do it it's because they find that it helps to have reminders and that a lot of it is more how they're opponent plays or what they did last time they played against each other and stuff like that. Also when someone consistently drops combos it's not like it's the games fault that someones having a bad day since anyone who is a top level player rarely drops their combos consistently and I don't know where you got this idea from. In addition to this VF and Tekken both have very strong competetive scenes is several countries moreso Tekken but still to say that a game like Tekken which is the most popular fighting game competively in Korea the land of professional gamers(it even has a competitive cable television program called Tekken Crash)yet you say it doesn't have a good competitve scene and it makes it hard for me to understand the rational in your arguement.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
Sorry for back to back posts but theres new news regarding an updated version that will debut at AOU so I figured i'd bring it up anyways.
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2012/2/8/new-version-of-ttt2-to-be-revealed-at-aou.html
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »
So...there's a Tekken Unlimited Tag Tournament 2...and it has a 1v1 mode.

So...why?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »

So...why?
cause people want it

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 06:17:20 AM »
...Again...why?  Why would you want a 1v1 mode for a Tekken Tag game?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »
Boring, i think Namco came with this idea in 5 minutes. With the info so far i still don't see this as a necessary update.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
I think it's a cool addition, like the CvS games where you could choose to fight with 1-3 fighters depending on ratio.

KOFXI also had a singles mode.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »
better an option that nothing even though I don't know if it will divide the comunity on japanese arcades

Waifu Material

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:12 AM »

So...why?
cause people want it

Believe it or not, there are some people who are so dedicated to that one character they've been playing for so long, they can't take the time out to learn another character... This kinda plagues KOF when it comes to SFers (more specifically youngbloods in the FGC) trying to learn the game...

I do remember people saying they're only good with this one character and are forced to learn someone else... Matter o' fact, my homeboy picked up Xiaoyu because he didn't have another strong character to play with other than Bryan, so he learned quick, and translated that info over to T4 and has been using her, and other characters as well...

I think it's a good idea honestly... DOA has had singles and tag for the longest, it's about time Namco did the same... Besides, with this specific game engine, any character can pose a threat as a single entry, so there's no need for a team, unless you want more setup options, but even then, some characters excel at that by themselves...

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
It's just that...if you're gonna make a game with BOTH options, then completely get rid of the Tekken Tag entries and just make it Tekken 7.  Or just say Tekken Dream Match or something if you just want no plot or want to bring back dead characters like Jun Kazama (unless we're making Unknown canon).

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
It's just that...if you're gonna make a game with BOTH options, then completely get rid of the Tekken Tag entries and just make it Tekken 7.  Or just say Tekken Dream Match or something if you just want no plot or want to bring back dead characters like Jun Kazama (unless we're making Unknown canon).

Speaking of bringing back, they need to bring back Kunimitsu, Doctor B, and make a balanced version of T4 Jin... That would be straight up ill!!!

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »
Balanced T4 Jin?  Impossible, the next thing you'll tell me is it's possible to make a time machine out of a DeLorean.

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
Balanced T4 Jin?  Impossible, the next thing you'll tell me is it's possible to make a time machine out of a DeLorean.

also T5.0 Steve wasn't that good, either
Former Semi-Serious MK9 player, Mediocre T6 player, maybe one day I'll be a Mediocre KOF XIII player, too

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »

The only thing that was bad was the fact that his jf laser scraper had an unblockable last hit that came out ridiculously fast... Just take out the unblockable, and/or make the jf version of the last hit safe, but harder to execute... He'd be missing any moves that Jin had from T5 and on, but he'd still be fairly good imo...

T5 Steve was just as bad as T4 Steve... Real talk, the only time he felt like a regular character was in T5.1, and everybody basically jumped ship except for Nin and his fanbase...