Author Topic: A question into my personal hindsight about arcade The King Of Fighters XIII  (Read 2395 times)

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Have I been wrong for not playing The King Of Fighters XIII at the local arcade (not really trying to give them free press but most of you already know what arcade I am talking about) for the past many months despite the 35+ mile drive to and from the arcade?

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Have I been wrong for not playing The King Of Fighters XIII at the local arcade (not really trying to give them free press but most of you already know what arcade I am talking about) for the past many months despite the 35+ mile drive to and from the arcade?

In all honesty, playing at the arcade is preparing you for playing in the console. It's going to be a little more difficult of a climb for you if you are up against people who consistently play the game. If it's a tough drive, I understand that, but once a week wouldn't hurt to get some experience in.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
In my opinion, you only missed out on some great gaming. But at least you saved some gas money. And that's important too!

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile

In all honesty, playing at the arcade is preparing you for playing in the console. It's going to be a little more difficult of a climb for you if you are up against people who consistently play the game. If it's a tough drive, I understand that, but once a week wouldn't hurt to get some experience in.

Very true. My only counter to this is hit training mode from Day 1 of the console release and nothing but training mode all the way until Christmas, which is when I anticipate getting Xbox LIVE Gold again. Also, it wasn't only the drive itself, but after I finished a three month contract job (from March to May) which paid decently and allowed me to work at home, I simply and currently have not quite recovered from that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:49:26 PM by XTG »

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
In my opinion, you only missed out on some great gaming. But at least you saved some gas money. And that's important too!

Again, I know this very much to be true, at least partially. I say this because Shoshioh has the PC dump available and after maybe two different play sessions, I just decided to leave the game alone until console release because I felt I wasn't really learning anything as well as I would have liked to while he just beat down on me. Of course, this is alright, but it just didn't work for me. That is why I'm giving Training Mode a full month before I even dare take on anyone online (or offline, for that matter). Gas prices outright suck, and they doubly suck if you're using your vehicle as a means to make money as I was doing package delivery all over Houston for a while, then decided to take a hiatus from that and get a gig doing pizza delivery in a smaller town about 25 minutes southeast of where I live. At least I will be taking up the package delivery gig again to go with the pizza delivery job so I can make a bit more with my car.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
I think a lot of folks plan to train up loads before venturing into online matches, but you'll probably find that there are plenty of players who are beginners or at the same skill level. You might want to create a balance between online play and practice in the beginning as I think you'll find it not only fun, but also that basic FG techniques and a handful of combos can make you pretty competitive especially when the game has just dropped.

So when you first punish someone with something basic, you'll get a feel for the timing to punish and on one of the next outings you may end up extending the same startup into a drive cancel combo or heck HD for that matter :)

I know this guy who played no tutorials/missions for scII and just pounded online as a beginner and he was in gold league after a month or two. Heh, extreme case - I'll personally be doing plenty of training mode/story mode, but wanna find out who/what's out there at the same time and get a lot of matches, bc online IS the arcade for this version.

(same guy has XIII pre-ordered and he's never played the series - lol!)

You'll also find that losing teaches you heaps, but you may win more than you think...

Dunno man, worthy of thought?