Author Topic: Netcode Lag/Delay Test Reports  (Read 88243 times)

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Netcode Lag/Delay Test Reports
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
I'm in that same boat man, i need a decent online experience to get praccy in, then i can go travel to events. Online is essential

@Diavle

I said i wanted to travel.I cannot do decent practice with laggy online = why should i go to a turney with 0 practice and waste money and time for nothing?.I want that fix.If you play only to have fun .. have fun.But i want to take this game a bit serious.I hope atlus does something about this because they promised better netcode than sf4.... which is not right now.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:26:42 PM by shinefist »

StickyStaines

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
Won't happen? Nah, the game's marvelous and I have people to play it face to face.

Sadly, 'you' are not 'the majority'. The core is great sure and that's awesome if you actually have the option of playing locally. However, not everyone has that option; especially on a consistent basis. So people turn to online to get their fix and if that isn't up to scratch, then it won't be long before people just shelve the game.

I shelved MK9 and MVC3 because of bad online personally and my decision on whether to buy KOF13 is dependant on the netcode.

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
Lol at some talking about servers not being up yet.

UltraChingon

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
so just did some testing with my friend. WELL my ps3 wireless card is well not working well. My brother has a ps3 slim and the wireless connection is flawless (2 bar connections are playable :D), mine in the other hand cant even hit 1.0mb (100% connection strength to my router all ports open Etc.) so wen i tested with my friend who lives 2 miles away we had 3 bars and some lag. Explains alot since its a first generation ps3 and the wireless has just been dying on it for a while (cant even watch netflix in HD).

Found a very long Ethernet cable... and man i just got done playing 2bar and 1bar games and they were real good o_o. The input lag vanished as i played the match, and then it did not have to synchronize after the first character KO. Now i have to make some holes in my house to make this work >.>
o_o

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Wireless + online = guaranteed lag :(

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 09:59:20 PM »

Welcome to Dream Cancel Sabin, I remember you from Evo '09 when Tokido came and played KOF '98UM with us.

Keep us informed with your tests so we can get to the bottom of the netcode.

Nocturnal

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
I still haven't tried online but I plan on doing a bunch of test on both versions once I get the PS3 version from Atlus. I wanted to thank Arturo for giving his opinion on the netcode. If you don't mind testing it with me Arturo on either 360/PS3 just let me know. I'm in Cali but I don't have Fios yet. I do have good net though as long as my family isn't playing while I play. I'm also farmiliar with all the good and bad netcodes out there. I'm not expecting it to be a perfect connection from CA to NY. I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of delay.

Edit: I'm going to be off this Friday so I plan on doing a bunch of test that day with different people from around the US/Japan.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »
Cool to see you around here, Art.  Thanks for the detailed review of the netcode.
Old man/bad player

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 10:19:25 PM »

Welcome to Dream Cancel Sabin, I remember you from Evo '09 when Tokido came and played KOF '98UM with us.

Or, yknow, you could test with him, Kane. NY to SoCal seems like a fair test ;)

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »

Wassup man, yeah, I will definitely keep dreamcancel informed about updates with the netcode. next time i do a stream ill let yal know in advance so i can test with various connections with someone that might know what theyre doing lol. even if the connection is shitty, i want to see if its possible for them to adjust or adapt to the connection. Right now the good connections i have are with people that just got the game like me. KOF13 i have to say, the core game is really good im very impressed. Just technically demanding! But I like the fact that there are no comeback mechanics in this game for sure and feels like a hybrid HD 98/2k2.

Was wondering if dreamcancel had a twitter set up so i can link to it next time I do the stream?

Anyway, thx for the warm welcome. I think that KOF tourney was the last KOF tourney I entered at DG's request lol. been a while since i fucked with kof

Nocturnal: wassup dude. sure we can try no problem. Haunts was telling me early on that cross country was not really doable but sure we can try it. The fact that you said "if my fam isnt using the internet, its ok" is not a sign of great internet though. Get that fiber man! once u have a symmetrical connection even if family is using the internet it's extremely hard for them to affect your quality of matches (in my case, they would have to saturate my 5.4 MB download speed lol.

and yeah man i know you are well versed in netcodes, so you can see what im saying here, of course i wouldnt talk out of my ass before putting the netcode on blast for no reason.
I feel that if there is a problem its def good to complain as early as possible in hopes of a fix! Not expecting them to add rollback netcode but some optimization to the input delay netcode in 13 right now would be great and go a long way i think. saying its ok or acceptable will hurt the games viability in the long term i think since a lot of people have online or bust :(

still cant believe this game has no multiplayer lobbies..can't spec, which means outside of a tournament or a player personally streaming themselves you would be seeing too many random 13 streams which hurts the exposure of the game I think :( damn

Heh, I just watched the stream archive for a bit and the replay is smooth, watching my games when it gets choppy or slows down it's def lagging lol and not the stream archive itself. Maybe I'll do somethin fri or this weekend again to get a better test fo sho

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
Welcome to DC, Sabin.

Okay, I'm playing on PSN on a comcast broadband connection with an outdated modem lol.

Last night Nilcam (Oklahoma) and I played for a few matches. That son of a gun kept throwin out Kensou's qcb p fireballs and King's venom strikes. I had trouble jumping over those sometimes. With Iori I had trouble doing cl.c to f+A to qcb b on block. The qcb b couldn't come out, lol. I thought something was wrong with me. But nah, it was the frigging delay.

Earlier I play against Reynald...lord have mercy that was unbearable. I couldn't do anything. No combos, couldn't block well, moves couldn't come out, it was stuttering, felt like KOFXII. Input delay through the roof...I personally felt that was unplayable. We had a yellow 3 bar connection.

After Reynald (socal), I played against a few green bars after setting up a player match. Those were more tolerable but I still feel the delay, so I had trouble punishing things and combos weren't coming out, so I played simple.

An hour later I play with devildigimon (a state next to mine, Wisconsin), and we have a green bar connection. That was playable as well but I had trouble doing Terry's df C into qcb A wayyy to many times. I also have trouble with ground teching and jumping over projectiles like when I was playing with Nilcam. There was as much stuttering or anything but the delay was still apparent, so I had to adjust.

Overall, I feel that SNKP should try to patch this and keep working on it. I'm not sure how many patches it will need for it to be on the level of AH3 or BB, but I hope it can get to that someday. But if they just leave it alone like how it is now...this game will not last long.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
I have a similar connection to desmond, so I guess the netcode isn't going to work for me. Can anyone relay this message to Atlus so they can relay it to SNKP?

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:09 PM »
I have a similar connection to desmond, so I guess the netcode isn't going to work for me. Can anyone relay this message to Atlus so they can relay it to SNKP?
Ive been blowing it up on twitter constantly and people have been RT'ing my tweets about the netcode, so i would hope sooner or later it gets back to atlus/SNKP!

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 11:19:31 PM »
For reference, here's my speed test:

In my matches with Desmond at 2 bars, I couldn't get Trapshot>Surprise Rose to land at all.

And I was spamming him with fireballs!

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
Expressing our concerns about the netcode in a civil, professional, and informative manner to Atlus may be a good idea. I would also recommend if anyone is well-versed in Japanese, to do the same for SNKP. Make sure to provide facts like Sabin provided, and mention that it's not just "you" but the entire community is feeling this. I can say that I've seen other gaming communities contact much larger Japanese companies than Atlus or SNKP and managed to actually speak with the developers and express their concerns about the game series. Not just some PR guy but real developers/producers behind the series. It can be done! Hopefully we can try and push for this to happen to at least get some really good patches out and hopefully make this game SFIV quality netcode.

P.S. If anyone wants to know what series/company I speak of? Suikoden rpg series made by Konami. The guys over at Suikosource just contacted them and began really pushing their concerns and what not with the series and it's getting Konami's attention. While it's not the same exact situation, we got to make SNKP see we care and tell them how we feel.