Author Topic: Soul Calibur V  (Read 16416 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Calibur V
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:22 AM »
Anything that isn't Asian, European or American in a video game is a minority. Last time I checked vampires came from Romania, Lizardman was Greek and Voldo was Italian. Sorry, being a gimp doesn't give you powers or make you part of a new race.

Then SCV is definitely not for you, with the exception of CaC and some imagination. But despite cultural and continental options in fighters which is a great thing, limiting it just because some minorities are missing isn't a wise thing; some people having enough problems with fighters not having any black characters. You got me wondering what a fighter with only African, South American, Australian, and Antartican fighters would look like.

Speaking of Zas, someone mentioned ZWEI as a possible stand-in for Zas somehow, based on movesets. Maybe something to look into, whoever gets it on release.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about learning ZWEI, so that's a good thing to hear at least...

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
Anything that isn't Asian, European or American in a video game is a minority. Last time I checked vampires came from Romania, Lizardman was Greek and Voldo was Italian. Sorry, being a gimp doesn't give you powers or make you part of a new race.

Then SCV is definitely not for you, with the exception of CaC and some imagination. But despite cultural and continental options in fighters which is a great thing, limiting it just because some minorities are missing isn't a wise thing; some people having enough problems with fighters not having any black characters. You got me wondering what a fighter with only African, South American, Australian, and Antartican fighters would look like.

Speaking of Zas, someone mentioned ZWEI as a possible stand-in for Zas somehow, based on movesets. Maybe something to look into, whoever gets it on release.

I was joking if you didn't notice...

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »

Here in the interwebz you need a "lol", "j/k", "/sarcasm", or something of the like to signify that... That's the cue so people can say "Oooooohh, he's only kidding..."

...But yeah, that SC5/SCV(¿?)... I'm still hating the fact that there are 3 mimics... They don't even have a real reason why they replaced Setsuka with that other character... I felt like her storyline, although not robust, was still something that Namco could've fleshed out to keep her in the series... I feel like alot of loose ends where never tied off... It's like a bunch of characters got the "Kunimitsu treatment" and were completely removed from the game for no real reason... 17 years is a bit, but not enough to take out a bunch of those characters...

I'm wondering what the final verdict will be once cats start playing the game... Will it end up being like SCIV, or will it bomb even moreso like SC3 did???

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »

My bad Proto. Part of that was with me identifying with the joke.

I'm wondering what the final verdict will be once cats start playing the game... Will it end up being like SCIV, or will it bomb even moreso like SC3 did???

Feels like it's a tie verdict between "how's it play?" and "who's missing?"

-Terry Bogard, 1995

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Feels like it's a tie verdict between "how's it play?" and "who's missing?"

Yeah I agree with that... My thing is both Capcom and Namco made huge changes like that with both the SF3 series and Tekken 3. The thing that they still managed to do is keep some sort of consistency with characters though... Sure, Blanka wasn't available, but you still had Necro(for those electricity lovers), and you also had Urien (charged based players). The gameplay was very different, but there were characters who were accepted. Same with Tekken 3. People clung to Jin, Bryan, Tiger, Hwoarang, and even Forest Law.

Speaking of Tekken, I will say this: even though aside from new moves, a bigger nose, and a different name, there were no differences between him and Marshall Law, but people wanted the original back, so I do sympathise with Taki players, because that's who most people started with when they learned SC, even back in Soul Edge.

SCV seems like that game that tried to do something different, but they don't really have much to compensate for that major change. As it stands, tons of Sophitia players are pissed, and some won't even get the game now. I feel like guest characters are a waste of time. Just give the slot to a character that can stay consistent, and give the fans the tools to recreate whatever character they want in CaS mode. I still can't get past 3 mimics though...

I also wonder if there's gonna be some huge debate with banned characters. Last I checked, in SCIV too many people cried about Algol, when in fact he wasn't even the worst (read:most broken) character. A bunch of his full life combos where 1) very hard to do, and 2) they were patched out because the properties of the bubbles changed. People cried about those bubbles, when they weren't even all that great because you could GI them and use them to your advantage in rushdown. The only real thing Algol had was a great backdash. Anyway, Hidle was the real threat, but yet she was still allowed to be played with in tourneys, despite the fact that all she needed was to either sidestep your move and ringout from anywhere, or block your 2A and ringout. I understand banning Vader and Yoda (Yoda was still a joke though before and after the patch though).

Speaking of bubbles and Algol hate, I'm very surprised that people love Viola because she's practically "Algol-lite"; throw the ball down, rush, attack from 2 different angles, throw if they block. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Despite my somewhat newfound negative view on SCV, I do want this game to succeed... I'm not sure as to how it will do though now that all the characters have been revealed, and all the mimic hoorah... I like the gameplay's speed though. It's SC2-esque...

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 01:16:11 AM »
Well the Mimics hurt some of the momentum the game was building, but I think SCV has a decent amount of support for the time being.  It also helps that it's coming into a time where people seem very accepting of any FG on the market right now that isn't made by Capcom.  Plus you know, with TTT2 not coming here for another 10 months-1 year, it's not gonna have much in the way of infighting.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Mimics are lame, I can get over Sophitia because Patrocles is actually a great substitue and we're getting her anyways as a boss, but Taki's replacement is a fucking joke of a character design. Whoever thought that a Valley girl with extra glitter makes for a good idea should be shot. Makes Mai look like a realistic by comparison.

I understand that the series was getting stale already, but so far, it feels like a half-hearted attempt at a reboot designed to cash in on the FG craze.

I'm personally skipping out on this one. Revelations comes out the week after and Skullgirls should come out sometime next month.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
All the mimics are pretty meh to me since for the most part they'res not much about most of them that makes me say oh cool, thats much better than that character I already know and it almost feels like either they didn't have many ideas for new characters or they wanted to sort of refresh the roster and give people a slight feeling that they're not just playing the same character in each and every game time and time again.

Also still not sure how this is going to turn out with all the little changes although I will say the overall game seems to be faster than 4? Also anyone got an opinion on this exploit?,like is it really good or is it a non-issue?

Edit: Avoiding The Puddle is going to be hosting a launch day tournament tomorrow @Super arcade details in the link below
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2012/1/29/sc5-launch-day-tournament-stream-from-super-arcade.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:14:39 PM by baccano1932 »
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/01/31/the-capcomming-of-soulcalibur-v/

It’s less gratifying that Soulcalibur V has a whole new finicky guarding system that I can’t quite wrap my fingers around. Nothing makes you quite so lazy as Capcom’s move-backwards-to-block system. I had a hard enough time forcing myself to press a guard button in Soulcalibur IV. After no small amount of frustration in the training room, I’ve just accepted that blocking in Soulcalibur V is beyond my ken. I therefore resolved to hit more often. As those of us who suck at timed blocking are fond of saying, the best defense is a good offense.

Best review ever.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »
Well going from back-to-block to button-to-block can be a bit jarring at first. 

But hey, when all else fails, mash buttons.  Never fails, just like tails...except in Sonic the Hedgehog.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »
so soul calibur is pretty boss viola is pretty fun to use though she doesn't do as much damage as i would like

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:35 AM »
so soul calibur is pretty boss viola is pretty fun to use though she doesn't do as much damage as i would like

I noticed. She does REALLY weak damage, even with her super. Definitely want to use her, but looks like I'll have to be better than most to stay alive if I don't want to rely on ring outs.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »

I noticed. She does REALLY weak damage, even with her super. Definitely want to use her, but looks like I'll have to be better than most to stay alive if I don't want to rely on ring outs.
ie kinda started using her super as a free set up if it hits seems like if you do a decent combo after the 7 hits of her super it deals about the same as everyone else also it's really good for keeping pressure since it sucks them in when they are close and pretty forces them to block it

also the story mode in this game is disappointing 

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:59 AM »
There's I high chance I'll pick this game up tomorrow since it's my birthday.

Not sure who I would try out or main yet. They took out quite a few characters, and it's been years

since I played a SC game.
You're too slow!!