Author Topic: SNK Term Encyclopedia  (Read 33625 times)

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: SNK Term Encyclopedia
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
I'm not following your definition of "meaty" here. Whether or not "meaty" comes from another game is irrelevant to the fact that it is relevant to strategy in KOF.

Please read what I wrote. It has nothing to do with using heavy (meaty) attacks being a relevant or irrelevant strategy. smh.

I am speaking about the usage of the term being applied to kof. The term "meaty" is not used by kof until recently where C/D and heavy were used before. I'd even go as far to say reversal wasn't a staple to the kof games terminology, but I don't have a problem with that as much as "meaty" because reversal and dp are quite old terminologies in general applied to that strategy in general not confined to one series/franchise.

Meaty is something that comes across more in line with terms like "short" (for light attacks) for example. That's fine if you disagree and kof games should adopt such terminology it's only an opinion like mine which is what forums are about. Language is like Marmite, some ppl will like it some won't. I hope this clears up the original post/

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
I am speaking about the usage of the term being applied to kof. The term "meaty" is not used by kof until recently where C/D and heavy were used before. I'd even go as far to say reversal wasn't a staple to the kof games terminology, but I don't have a problem with that as much as "meaty" because reversal and dp are quite old terminologies in general applied to that strategy in general not confined to one series/franchise.

Meaty is something that comes across more in line with terms like "short" (for light attacks) for example. That's fine if you disagree and kof games should adopt such terminology it's only an opinion like mine which is what forums are about. Language is like Marmite, some ppl will like it some won't. I hope this clears up the original post/
I've never heard anyone in any fanbase talking about any fighting game use "meaty" as meaning a strong normal attack.  The closest I can think of is sometimes using "beefy" as a joking term for a high level attack in Arc games.

A meaty attack is any attack timed so that your opponent comes out of an invincible state (usually either wake up or aerial reset) while its active frames are touching him.  The only reason why the term might be somewhat linked to Capcom games is because it got made up by people talking about SF2:WW, but the concept applies to pretty much any 2D fighter.
Old man/bad player

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »
Well if you dislike the use of "meaty" for a KOF game, what would you suggest as a better alternative?

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »
I hear it all the time round these parts from Capcom fans to mean heavy hits I've certainly never heard of it used in any old KOF guides under either (or any) definition. For KOF it is a new term being applied because it wasn't before. Whether it's right or not is just a matter of opinion, to me it just sounds like cross-talk like "short" and "roundhouse". I've actually heard those terms used from stream hosts. . . but those are ok because I think they were making fun of their Capcom backgrounds/

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
I hear it all the time round these parts from Capcom fans to mean heavy hits I've certainly never heard of it used in any old KOF guides under either (or any) definition.
http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kim_02
8 instances of "meaty" on that page alone, all using it the way that Fatacon and I described.

Once again, "meaty" is a general/universal fighting game term that applies to any game, just like reversal, crossup, antiair, etc.

Old man/bad player

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
I'm not following your definition of "meaty" here. Whether or not "meaty" comes from another game is irrelevant to the fact that it is relevant to strategy in KOF.

Please read what I wrote. It has nothing to do with using heavy (meaty) attacks being a relevant or irrelevant strategy. smh.

That term is used by Capcom players and has no history in KOF as far as I can tell.

Your argument was that "meaty" has never been used in KOF. I'm saying it has been for years, therefore it is relevant, and so it is justified in terminology. Just because you haven't heard the word itself doesn't mean the conceptual idea of the strategy/technique doesn't apply.

The term "meaty" is not used by kof until recently where C/D and heavy were used before.

Meaty is something that comes across more in line with terms like "short" (for light attacks) for example.

I believe you are simply misunderstanding the definition here.

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »
Your argument was that "meaty" has never been used in KOF. I'm saying it has been for years. . .
"meaty" has been common KOF terminology for years? I've never seen any guide for the legacy kof's use it and that's what I'm basing my assumption that it's not used. Could be an American thing looking at that one DC article.  Neither have I heard anyone use that word to describe anything kof related in rl. To me it's recent usage at least from all the guides i've looked at. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Also that DC thing theres alot of meaties used in reference to heavy attacks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:24:34 PM by giga_d »

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
I have a folder full of all the kof 2k2 faqs and guides I have. . . quick text search and replace comes up with no hits for meaty. Did another one for kof 2001 folder, no results for meaty. kof 11 onwards might have if my theory is that it recent. . . I don't think it's a common kof term either way. This is just testing the argument that it's not a recent term applied to kof.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Okay, in retrospect, since Kim's best meaty stuff happens to be his cl.C, cl.D, cr.D, and CD, that was a bit of a poor choice on my part *laughs* .  But there are plenty of other meaties.  Some examples:

98/02 O.Chris: meaty qcf+P after knockdown for lockdown
98 Iori: meaty qcf+P after a hard knockdown, make it unblockable with a whiffed command grab or run in after it for a mixup
98 Goro: meaty dp+A unblockables are a big part of what makes him so good
02 Clark: meaty/fake meaty j.A mixup after command grabs

The term "meaty" in general has been used in many fighting games for years, just the same as "reversal" has.  Hell, in some games, practically every match in revolves around meaty mixups, but that's not the point of this topic.

I assure you there's no conspiracy against you about the use of "meaty" in KOF *laughs*
Old man/bad player

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »
no prob, this is a forum so different opinions are expected. Can't all agree on everything. The guys here use the term for heavy attacks used in that manner so naturally I mean it in that way. Strictly speaking other stuff counts too, but I guess you know what I mean.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
Yeah, it's certainly possible that you never came across it in the context that I'm used to before.  Just surprised me since I've been talking about meaty stuff in that way in multiple games (including KOF) for more than 15 years *laughs*
Old man/bad player

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
speaking of which does anyone have any terms that are only used in your circle of kof players?

or old terms that became commonplace or were replaced with better more sensible terms.

I'm sure we had some stupid ones but I can't remember what they were. . . one of them was "forward then Yoga Flame" for Fwrd-HCF+P. This was some 94 era business though.  ;) Some things we didn't have words for.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
old terms that became commonplace or were replaced with better more sensible terms.
A few things I can think of a few things that got replaced:

2-in-1s -> cancels
wake-up games -> okizeme
super rolls -> GCAB
knockback attack -> CD (yes, we actually used to call it something stupidly longer than just saying the input *laughs* )
knockdown roll -> "tech roll" or just "tech"

one of them was "forward then Yoga Flame" for Fwrd-HCF+P. This was some 94 era business though.  ;)
We just called that a "Haosho input" *laughs*
Old man/bad player

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »
old terms that became commonplace or were replaced with better more sensible terms.
A few things I can think of a few things that got replaced:

2-in-1s -> cancels
wake-up games -> okizeme
super rolls -> GCAB
knockback attack -> CD (yes, we actually used to call it something stupidly longer than just saying the input *laughs* )
knockdown roll -> "tech roll" or just "tech"

one of them was "forward then Yoga Flame" for Fwrd-HCF+P. This was some 94 era business though.  ;)
We just called that a "Haosho input" *laughs*

that's right 2 in 1's was common round here.

"C and D" and "A and B". I think some of us still use that  :)

"SUPER SUPER!" for SDM's, "how do you do her super super?"

things like "guard crush" was not in the vocabulary. Just said something "it took all your block".

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 01:08:48 AM »
Your argument was that "meaty" has never been used in KOF. I'm saying it has been for years. . .
"meaty" has been common KOF terminology for years? I've never seen any guide for the legacy kof's use it and that's what I'm basing my assumption that it's not used. Could be an American thing looking at that one DC article.  Neither have I heard anyone use that word to describe anything kof related in rl. To me it's recent usage at least from all the guides i've looked at. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Sorry giga D, I have to agree with the others here.  We were using the term "meaty" on the kof mailing list pre-forums days (1996) from as long as I can remember, you can even ask Gunsmith.  "Reversals" and "Frame traps" are all new to me.