Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386470 times)

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition
« Reply #930 on: May 17, 2012, 01:55:25 AM »
@solid sharK: everyone has a PC nowadays. I can imagine some people (esp those who only play roms and PC games) might not want to buy a console for KoF alone. Considering how stages (for instance) have no impact on game-play, there is no reason why people shouldn't be free to have any stages they want on disk. Doesn't even matter whether your online opponent has them or not (unlike in Quake). All that's getting loaded is a bunch of image files, some light data (for the shading on the characters) and presto. Now, obviously, there's the issue of cheating and such when it comes to code. However, punkbuster has been around for ages and pretty much works every time. Add that to the fact that the engine is nice but not quite ground-breaking (hell, nothing is in the world of fighting games LOL) and one could almost argue that they might as well release the code and allow community programmers to take a stab at it (I remember quake 3 had three separate "houses" of code: one for graphics, one for game system and math stuff and one for dealing with networking and windows. If snk did something similar, then all the community needs is the graphics bit. I doubt a lone wolf programmer would out-do GGPO.)

(Just took a look at SamSho 5/6 on youtube. wasn't impressed overall. Had some interesting stuff but looked too comical for my taste. the referee tossing stuff into the level, dogs and pets running around and fatalities were a turn off for me (don't get me wrong, fatalities were great in MK and primal rage, but slicing a little girl into bits isn't my cup of tea). Also, considering how much the charas in LB2 had in common with charas in SS, it would be rather redundant to have them in the same game.)
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 17, 2012, 02:22:49 AM »
I'm sorry, I usually don't say anything about grammar. But damn... haven't seen that many parentheses outside my math classes.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 17, 2012, 02:38:42 AM »
Yeah, that´s what happens when I´m typing on the fly.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 17, 2012, 02:47:28 AM »
Yeah, that´s what happens when I´m typing on the fly.

I know how that happens, but it did surprised me when I was reading it. lol

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 17, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
It's basically SS/LB or no LB at all. At this point they really can't afford niche titles.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 17, 2012, 03:09:27 AM »
Dude, right now, if newcomers look them both up on youtube, I think LB will leave a better impression simply because of the graphics and animation. But I doubt they´ll do any of the two. They might as well release that SDK and let us take care of it ;)

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 17, 2012, 03:12:01 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath over a LB3. Would it be great? Sure. Will it happen? Unlikely. I'd sooner expect a new FF, AoF, or SS before we get a new LB. I remember back in 2008 before XII was released that they wanted to release a new Metal Slug with HD sprites. Even though it's been a while, I still think MS is the one most likely to get a new game next. Either that or MOTW2.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 17, 2012, 03:19:36 AM »
Hmmm, on handhelds and smartphones? I don´t think there´s a market for a 2d MS in the console dept. I also wonder if they´re going to branch out again after investing so much in KoF 12/13. Then again, weirder stuff has happened and SNK actually caters to the JP market first (which explains why their games still have that `thing` capcom´s games don´t)

EDIT: I´m going to sound like an arrogant a-hole, but KoF already has the best fighters with a few exceptions (mostly absences from MOTW). They should do a MS for the mobile market  and just keep making KoFs.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:26:31 AM by venusandeve »

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 17, 2012, 03:28:58 AM »
Nah, Metal Slug is is their second most profitable franchise, they wouldn't just shove it aside for the mobile department. Although they COULD make a Metal Slug HD for the 3DS or Vita.

yamazaky96

• Strongest Tiger
  • Drunken fist
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi team Page
« Reply #939 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09:44 AM »
they shall do only fighting games while they are gaining good reputation again
the last good metal slug they MADE was metal slug 3 even the so called 7 and XX didnt sell that much

also an expansion of KOF13 will make them delay KOF14 for many more years

UAE's KOF casuals and tournaments
www.youtube.com/user/yamazaky96

LazieFreddy

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 17, 2012, 08:45:19 AM »
Who knows, maybe they will make a new kof verical shooter with HD sprites from XIII...   ;)

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 17, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
they shall do only fighting games while they are gaining good reputation again
the last good metal slug they MADE was metal slug 3 even the so called 7 and XX didnt sell that much

Their best bet now is an expansion of KOF 13 with a good netcode. Capcom fans look for alternatives with all the sh1t going with SFxT so giving 7-10 characters with a great netcode is their faster way to take advantage of that. Look how Skullgirls managed to take attention.

On the other hand if they dont plan to vastly improve XIII's netcode they should leave it as it is and revive another title.

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 17, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »

Their best bet now is an expansion of KOF 13 with a good netcode. Capcom fans look for alternatives with all the sh1t going with SFxT so giving 7-10 characters with a great netcode is their faster way to take advantage of that. Look how Skullgirls managed to take attention.

On the other hand if they dont plan to vastly improve XIII's netcode they should leave it as it is and revive another title.

I agree with you guys here. KoF XIII has a good engine and a great fighting game system, all it needs is a MUCH better netcode and more stuff (characters, stages, special moves for the characters, DM's, winning poses, special intros and such). Making an expansion would be the best choice for the company right now.

They should release it in PC also. ;)

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 17, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

I agree with you guys here. KoF XIII has a good engine and a great fighting game system, all it needs is a MUCH better netcode and more stuff (characters, stages, special moves for the characters, DM's, winning poses, special intros and such). Making an expansion would be the best choice for the company right now.

But SNK will never manage to churn out as many DLC charas as capcom. Animating characters just seems to be their achilles' heel. If they manage to introduce new and fresh characters instead of rehashed EX ones, I think they can extend the game's lifespan quite a bit. That would give them time to work on the netcode and maybe some other things like dynamic lighting/shadowing. On the other hand, most people recognise GGPO as the best netcode developers, wouldn't it be wise to just make 14 and slap all sorts of improvements on that? Reworking netcode is a straight bitch...

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 17, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »

But SNK will never manage to churn out as many DLC charas as capcom. Animating characters just seems to be their achilles' heel. If they manage to introduce new and fresh characters instead of rehashed EX ones, I think they can extend the game's lifespan quite a bit. That would give them time to work on the netcode and maybe some other things like dynamic lighting/shadowing. On the other hand, most people recognise GGPO as the best netcode developers, wouldn't it be wise to just make 14 and slap all sorts of improvements on that? Reworking netcode is a straight bitch...

They also said GGPO didn't work when they tried implementing it into the XIII console release. And unfortunately other console-released fighters who have used GGPO or some kind of rollback netcode have had mixed results (3SOE & SFxT). I can't tell what they used for XIII, but given more strength in the basic build of it, I'd hope it could be sufficient for a lot more people.

Honestly I'm really iffy on the expansion idea for XIII too. If they do it, fine, just don't make it a habit, as fighting fans have been put off by the Capcom fighters and BB for an eventual update. Something like MK9 Complete Ed. would be perfect to me. Newer characters, maybe one or two, but save the rest for XIV.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995