Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186606 times)

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
I think it'd be cool if there was some situation specific information for characters in these videos. Using King as an example, it'd be cool if you had on-field information about things such as how to get out of the corner with her despite having weak anti-air and lacking a meterless dp. Or tips on keeping/creating distance (like tk'ing projectiles).

Kof is very unique in feel, and I think information like this could help people feel more comfortable with the game. Course, I always feel like I'm still in the learning phase of this game (hardly have anyone to play against, except in monthly tournaments), but the thing that took me the longest to figure out was formulating a game plan with my mains. In Street Fighter, character roles seem fairly simple: characters with good projectiles like Ryu make easy to understand zoners, whereas characters without them make straight forward close-range pressure characters, and Grapplers are always slow and powerful. King of Fighters is different though, dp's are hardly absolute AA/reversals, the grapplers have strong anti zoning tools, and the zoners also do a fair bit of rushdown.

I know this is a wall of inane gibberish already, but in short, the thing I think people have the most problems with (besides the execution barrier present) is knowing precisely what you should be going for with a character in a given match. Tutorial vids would definitely be rather cool, and I think being able to show friends a good go-to resource for their character would certainly breathe new life in my, pretty barren :( , local scene. I've never really had a problem finding combo vids for the characters I have tried, so I think if you do BnB's, it'd be cool if you include tactical details such as hit confirming, frame traps, and blockstrings.

As for my involvement in the project, unfortunately I don't have any recording material, but if there was any organizational things I could work on, or perhaps something I can sit down and research in game that we need, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 30, 2012, 01:56:42 AM »
As for my involvement in the project, unfortunately I don't have any recording material, but if there was any organizational things I could work on, or perhaps something I can sit down and research in game that we need, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Same here.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #572 on: October 30, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
I'm glad there seems to be signs of initial interest; I'll try to have a thread up soon so I can kind of align everyone on the objective and how people can contribute.
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #573 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:21 AM »
Just to ask initially, do people need to have some sort of recording capture devices to contribute? Because not many people have those...All I have is a HD flip camera, haha.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

VinnAleixoFM

• Strongest Tiger
  • Secador Oficial do Wong
    • View Profile
    • Portal Versus
« Reply #574 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:48 AM »
Trailer Versus Brasil

You miss the "Treta Armageddon Heroes" Kleber Yagami, Legal, Thiago Moby and all-brazilian action? They're back in Versus Brazil Tournament. The last KOF major of the year. With special appearance of Justin Wong.

November 10th - KOF XI and XIII

I'll bring the stream link ASAP to this forum (I'll be in the event venue 1 day before the event)

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #575 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:53 AM »
Just to ask initially, do people need to have some sort of recording capture devices to contribute? Because not many people have those...All I have is a HD flip camera, haha.

good question, I was going to mention this. I'm aware of everyone's equipment limitations, and this is why working together is going to be so important. The goal I feel is to have everything completely clean and streamlined, meaning everything should look like it's coming from the same source for the sake of consistency; same format, same everything. If it means handing off all the information (in the form of text or even rough draft video examples) to the people who have the means to record directly, it will probably come to that. It will take a long time most definitely but it will be worth it in the end.

I only know how to play like seven characters effectively, but I have access to my regular session crew and a lot of other players that I'll approach IRL to help with the recording of match examples and other stuff. NorCal heads if you're reading this and you want in, contact me.
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 30, 2012, 05:11:17 AM »
I know the lack of capture equipment has held me back quite a bit...

the7k

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 30, 2012, 05:14:15 AM »
I'm planning to get an Elgato. Well, I was planning it before EVO, but a lot of unfortunate events got in the way and prevented that from happening. Maybe now that things have called down a bit on the personal end and are picking up on the business end, I'll be able to look into getting it again.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 30, 2012, 06:01:24 AM »
Everytime I saw the video of justin with the model, I always think ''with sposnor monezz i not virgen nemor''

I was surprised to see xian winning xiii

Waifu Material

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 30, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
Had an existential crisis and I just... don't.... like... 13... anymore... The netcode is just the icing on the cake for me but there's too many things about this game that I do not like. I may be alone in my sentiments and undoubtedly if I posted on SRK Emil, Laban, and one other asshole would jump out of their hole in the ground and troll it so. Things I don't like about 13:

1: Faux Trip Guard. The game kinda' has tripguard but it's 1 frame. I don't understand the reason for this. They tried to make the game appeal a little more to the casuals with NeoMaxes and EX moves, but make this one essential mechanic and unnecessarily fuck with it. That was smart.

2: Being able to tech out of unsafe moves and moves being unpunishable unless you have a character with a 1 frame command grab. Again, this doesn't make much sense. If someone has a fraction of health left you get into the habit of throwing them, why make it techable? And why make moves like Kyo's Upkicks or Duo's Rekka into teleport safe on block unless you have a 1 frame command grab? What is the logic there? If something is unsafe make it punishable by everyone in the cast.

3: EX Supers and invincible Supers. I was fine with EX moves but a big part of what defines SNK(P) is the fact that their supers are not invincible. Which makes the game more aggressive and prevents laming it out. Granted that characters in past games had invincible supers but they were relatively few. Now in 13 you can just use an EX Super and the vast majority of them have that invincibility. Good job.

4: CD attacks. I never got their purpose. It seems that they benefit some characters more than others. Okay, but why? Why give everyone a CD but only a few character jCD are really good? Why give every character this one tool but it only benefits a handful of them? Okay, if you want Kyo to have this great air-to-air attack just let him keep his j Down C?

5: Why do a majority of fireball characters have fireballs that are safe on block and recover too quickly to punish them? I can't think of many fighters that have this, except maybe Gouken but he's designed to have all these other flaws to compensate for that. But a character like Ash recovers even if you jump in after it that he can still AA you. Why?

6: Why 8 frames of grab invincibility on wakeup? Why when a character is waking up after a knockdown they cannot grab you unless they use a command grab? That to me just takes away options and coddles people.

Rant over. That's how I honestly feel about 13.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 30, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
I was surprised to see xian winning xiii

Zhi said that Xian is a KOF player, only started Street Fighter with SF4 because that's where the money looked to be at.

Heck, their group goes under the name Team Desperation Move.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:21:31 PM by Diavle »

Tikok

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
I'm not gonna argue since since I don't agree with any of your points, but since you asked some questions, I'll reply to them.

What is the logic there? If something is unsafe make it punishable by everyone in the cast.
Not everyone have the same tools, so not everyone can punish everything. I don't see how that is unlogical.

CD attacks. I never got their purpose. It seems that they benefit some characters more than others. Okay, but why?
That's just how it is , CD attacks aren't the same for every characters, so, some are obviously going to be better than others.

5: Why do a majority of fireball characters have fireballs that are safe on block and recover too quickly to punish them?
Fireballs are safe on block in like every single fighting game though. Especially since they can be made safer by creating distance with your blockstring.
But a character like Ash recovers even if you jump in after it that he can still AA you. Why?
There are two reasons for that. Because Ash is a zoning character , so his fireball needs to be good for his entire gameplan to be viable, and because Ash is a charge character.

6: Why 8 frames of grab invincibility on wakeup? Why when a character is waking up after a knockdown they cannot grab you unless they use a command grab?
Actually those frames of invincibility also apply to command grabs. You cannot grab someone who's waking up after a hard knockdown no matter kind of grab you use.

As for why, It's just the direction KoF chose. If anything it makes the gameplay more interesting as it gives you reasons to avoid teching sometimes.

I guess they want to avoid BS throw mixups. As throws in KoF grant you a lot more damage than in other games. (Someone like Takuma can even ToD out of a throw)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:30:50 PM by Tikok »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #582 on: October 30, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »
I may be alone in my sentiments and undoubtedly if I posted on SRK Emil, Laban, and one other asshole would jump out of their hole in the ground and troll it so.

Well, you do complain a lot, so I would not blame them if they did give you a hard time.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
Really? I'm the one who complains a lot? To my recollection everyone here here was bitching about the netcode and I tried to remain optimistic about it and have talked about the few good connections I've had. I've contributed as much info as I can and try not to step on anyone's toes but some people still freak out. Only thing I've complained about is HD mode being B and C which causes accidental activation and playing one or two people online who love to play runaway and I can't punish it.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 30, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »

Not everyone have the same tools, so not everyone can punish everything. I don't see how that is unlogical.

That's just how it is , CD attacks aren't the same for every characters, so, some are obviously going to be better than others.

Fireballs are safe on block in like every single fighting game though. Especially since they can be made safer by creating distance with your blockstring.

There are two reasons for that. Because Ash is a zoning character , so his fireball needs to be good for his entire gameplan to be viable, and because Ash is a charge character.

Actually those frames of invincibility also apply to command grabs. You cannot grab someone who's waking up after a hard knockdown no matter kind of grab you use.

As for why, It's just the direction KoF chose. If anything it makes the gameplay more interesting as it gives you reasons to avoid teching sometimes.

1: I was referring to UNSAFE moves. Why make it so some of the cast can punish and others cannot? That doesn't make sense. Even in SF4 almost everyone but the very low tier characters) and that's maybe 3-4 guys can punish a Blanka ball for one example.

2: I still don't get it. If the older games have it, why should the newer games? I guess people just tolerate it.

3: Actually there are quite a few fighters that let you punish a point blank fireball. 3S for instance except maybe Remy. But for the Shoto's fireball to be safe on block they have to use an EX Fireball.

4: I'm pretty sure in the older games a majority of the cast didn't instantly recover from fireballs except for Athena in OG 02. That was the point I made.

5: I can't agree with that. To me that just takes away options and coddles people. In almost every other fighting if you got knocked down and didn't want to get grabbed again you either had to commit to a move, backdash, or jump out. I like that, I like having options it adds to the metagame. When you dumb it down like that you take away strategy.