Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186620 times)

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #690 on: December 14, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
I hope you're half-right. Keep the level of quality for the games, change other things.

It just going to be the way it is right now. They will do the same routine. Nothing new

Is there a site or image with all KOF13 character default palletes (1-10 and kyo/betty/joe/yuri/raiden/ralf/k' extras)?

http://fenixware.net/fab/fab_gamecostume.asp?id=658

Frofighter

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Riyadh FGC - Newly-established Youtube page for the FGC of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
« Reply #691 on: December 14, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »
Do you guys think the KOF community could use something along the lines of what Level Up Your Game does for the Tekken community? i.e. A group of the game's players getting together to make tutorial videos covering all key aspects of a character so that there's an accessible online resource for those willing to learn the game? I wanted to discuss that with the KOF players when I go to SCR, but I'm throwing that out on here to kinda get an idea what people feel about that. Personally, I love what Level Up Your Game does, and they've taught me a lot of useful stuff about any character they've covered. It wouldn't be the be-all-and-all of how to increase the KOF community's numbers and quality of events, but I think it would be handy.
"NO PROBREM!" -Terry, KOF 2002/UM

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 14, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
Looking on doing that with players up here in NorCal.

Some of the results of the survey we did was pretty great! Players around the world chose these top three things as an option for what would get them to play KoF:

Casual Events - 70% of people chose this option
Frequently Streamed Events (Once or Twice a week) -51% chose this option
More info from top players - 43% chose this option.

What would get people to watch KoF

Good Commentary - 66% chose this option
A KoF Dedicated Stream - 53% chose this option
Informational Videos - 47% chose this option.

So out of almost 400 people, this survey shows that there's a huge lack of information and ability to play for a lot of the people out there. It's fruitless efforts to play and practice alone when there's not much info from top players on the net.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 14, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »
im exstatic about kof13's success, but people please know its SNK we are dealing with here. They have never released 2 GREAT kof's after each other. The one is always really bad and the following super good. except for 97/98 , it was a good year. Anyway i digress, HOLDING THUMBS FOR KOF15

Actually for it's time people liked '95 and '96 back in the day. They are hard to play after you get used to the newer style (Just like a lot of other older titles. How many people go back to Tekken 3?). SNK started having trouble after the whole bankruptcy issues.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #694 on: December 14, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »

So out of almost 400 people, this survey shows that there's a huge lack of information and ability to play for a lot of the people out there. It's fruitless efforts to play and practice alone when there's not much info from top players on the net.

If you took information from players all across the world, do you have any concentrated results from certain continents or countries?

Also, I'm a little disturbed by the whole topic surrounding lack of information on the net. Is it because people aren't finding it easily? Or is it not centralized? I do feel there is an adequate amount of guides online, either from this site and other places but seeing that a lot of people are saying there is a lack of written information online makes me wonder why and how we can fix that.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Frofighter

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Riyadh FGC - Newly-established Youtube page for the FGC of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
« Reply #695 on: December 15, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »

If you took information from players all across the world, do you have any concentrated results from certain continents or countries?

Also, I'm a little disturbed by the whole topic surrounding lack of information on the net. Is it because people aren't finding it easily? Or is it not centralized? I do feel there is an adequate amount of guides online, either from this site and other places but seeing that a lot of people are saying there is a lack of written information online makes me wonder why and how we can fix that.

I think we'd have to go through some of the more publicized fighting game channels to help on that. People don't know right now that Dreamcancel has a solid amount of the game's frame data (just as an example) on its wiki. Or that the Kim boards have a thread detailing his safe jumps and which reversals beat which of those set-ups. Or that there are videos done by Japanese players that, even without knowledge of the language, demonstrate a lot about most of the cast. Personally, I know I had to dig through a lot to find info that specific beyond Persona's latest combo videos posted on SRK.

I was actually recently talking to a TO for Apex 2013(I'll keep the name) regarding KOF commentary, as I had been working on my own commentary so I can go to an event like this and represent the game. He tells me that they have people like Ultra David and Skisonic lined up and I go "what?". He did tell me to go it over with Bifuteki directly, but the fact that those names come to mind and no KOF representative from the entire area is even thought of kind of bothers me.

Be that as it may, going through people like Ultra Chen and their show, Wake Up SRK and other such higher-profile productions may help, provided it's done right and by community members. I know they did some KOF stuff before, but I think something's missing in terms of exposure with the channels that get the biggest cross-over time among games.

It's late and I'm just sounding off at this point, but I'm glad this discussion is going now. I really want this game ti pick up some more steam, and for people to own up to how much they claim to like it.

EDIT: Also Reiki shoutouts to you for conducting that survey and putting in the work that you have!

lindseyboi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 15, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »
i luv tasty steve and that latino guy commentating the KOF combo-off

Ky0

• Scion of Flame
  • MIJU KUMONO MEGA [Location]: Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 15, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »

I think we'd have to go through some of the more publicized fighting game channels to help on that. People don't know right now that Dreamcancel has a solid amount of the game's frame data (just as an example) on its wiki. Or that the Kim boards have a thread detailing his safe jumps and which reversals beat which of those set-ups. Or that there are videos done by Japanese players that, even without knowledge of the language, demonstrate a lot about most of the cast. Personally, I know I had to dig through a lot to find info that specific beyond Persona's latest combo videos posted on SRK.

I was actually recently talking to a TO for Apex 2013(I'll keep the name) regarding KOF commentary, as I had been working on my own commentary so I can go to an event like this and represent the game. He tells me that they have people like Ultra David and Skisonic lined up and I go "what?". He did tell me to go it over with Bifuteki directly, but the fact that those names come to mind and no KOF representative from the entire area is even thought of kind of bothers me.

Be that as it may, going through people like Ultra Chen and their show, Wake Up SRK and other such higher-profile productions may help, provided it's done right and by community members. I know they did some KOF stuff before, but I think something's missing in terms of exposure with the channels that get the biggest cross-over time among games.

It's late and I'm just sounding off at this point, but I'm glad this discussion is going now. I really want this game ti pick up some more steam, and for people to own up to how much they claim to like it.

EDIT: Also Reiki shoutouts to you for conducting that survey and putting in the work that you have!
Hey guys, this is KoF and we all know it!  (Just to unbend a little! xD)
Yeah! THIS IS KOF, AND I LOVE IT!   :p

KoF 4 EVA

yamazaky96

• Strongest Tiger
  • Drunken fist
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi team Page
« Reply #698 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
Btw it is crystal clear that SNKp works on something that they want to push in the US. The background of the new president gave it away. I expect a fighting game similar to MvC3 or an expansion of KOF.

that will be a 3D or 2.5D fighting game :S

im exstatic about kof13's success, but people please know its SNK we are dealing with here. They have never released 2 GREAT kof's after each other. The one is always really bad and the following super good. except for 97/98 , it was a good year. Anyway i digress, HOLDING THUMBS FOR KOF15

KOF 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000 were all great hits on the arcades

UAE's KOF casuals and tournaments
www.youtube.com/user/yamazaky96

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 15, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
@Desmond: Here's the thing that I did not mention. The #1 resource for learning and talking about KoF for almost 70% of the answers was streams. So people are learning tech that they are not reading about. This relates to top players giving out info and informational videos from them.

This is important because they're big names and they know/do things that people see on stream. Some players post on forums, but a large portion of them don't so that's things they know that's never documented. It could be a language barrier or it could be they just want people not to know their gimmicks. The point is that it's something they see, but it's not something people can duplicate or learn about. Even if they do, the only thing out on video is combo videos. The wiki only includes, for the most part, basic info on moves, normals, and combos. Combos are great, but they're only half the game. Things like pressure, zoning, and basic tactics these guys use to get their combos and whatnot are not documented.

Anyway, Desmond, I've been trying to get organizers to check out this info. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 17, 2012, 05:22:32 AM »
I should try to give this game another chance. Always did love the KOF games but I guess life just got in the way of me giving this game as much time as I wanted or any other game in general.

Rhythmaxed

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 17, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
@Desmond: Here's the thing that I did not mention. The #1 resource for learning and talking about KoF for almost 70% of the answers was streams. So people are learning tech that they are not reading about. This relates to top players giving out info and informational videos from them.

This is important because they're big names and they know/do things that people see on stream. Some players post on forums, but a large portion of them don't so that's things they know that's never documented. It could be a language barrier or it could be they just want people not to know their gimmicks. The point is that it's something they see, but it's not something people can duplicate or learn about. Even if they do, the only thing out on video is combo videos. The wiki only includes, for the most part, basic info on moves, normals, and combos. Combos are great, but they're only half the game. Things like pressure, zoning, and basic tactics these guys use to get their combos and whatnot are not documented.

Anyway, Desmond, I've been trying to get organizers to check out this info. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

I know I am kind of a random here but just wanted to post some points in support of the above.
Just want to say that as someone who isn't very good at kof 13 trying to learn the game over the past year, honestly the dreamcancel wiki is mostly good to read and get down basic combos in training mode with a character. The wiki doesn't help that much with other more advanced tactics or setups with characters.
Everything else I've learned beyond just basic moves and combos has basically been from juicebox's stream. He will spend a lot of time going over setups and strategies with people in the chatroom for a specific character he is training with.

With street fighter and marvel people have tons of resources to get real indepth knowledge about characters. Not just combos but useful tactics and setups. Help with specific matchups against certain characters and stuff like that.

Street fighter and marvel have constant media to help guide people into getting into their games at nearly every skill level.
For example, I just had a friend who mostly played other pc games competitively to finally decide to pick up fighting games.
First he found Maximilian's videos on his youtube page, Then he started watching team spooky weekly big2 streams, big event streams like Evo and other majors. Then he started watching cross counter/gooplay videos(gootecks commentating and talking to the stream while he plays sf4ae or 3rd strike online) and finally after the above happening over the course of about 6-7 months of being just a casual stream watcher he recently decided to become a player.

There was a progression for him to follow that dragged him into the community to the point where he recently grabbed sfxt and sf4ae and an arcade stick.
I've shown him kof streams whenever I can like I play winner and he will watch and enjoy kof at majors that are streamed. But you can tell he isn't as interested in kof as the other games.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:21:41 AM by Rhythmaxed »

kokof

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 17, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »
... only wanna show you some peruvian kof XIII (here it`s Javier, KOF 2002 peruvian top player)

James vs Javier 1

DJMirror949

• Strongest Tiger
  • Just move along, nothing to read here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 22, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »

I was actually recently talking to a TO for Apex 2013(I'll keep the name) regarding KOF commentary,

I'm almost positive that you talked to some that goes by the tag name: Alex Strife

Frofighter

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 22, 2012, 03:27:19 PM »

LOL I didn't wanna just put it out there, but I guess in hindsight it wasn't exactly hard to figure out. I do think he is trying to get the FGC's presence at the tourney to be bigger, and he's been trying to be very careful about choice of commentary. However, placing big-name commentators from other games for KOF didn't seem like the way to do that. I thought it was an example of how under-represented the game is on the east coast, for reasons that were well-explained by hell pockets, Manchest, and Sanchez on KOFcast. I just didn't want the trend to continue by having non-KOF commentators further exacerbate that image.

I was actually recently talking to a TO for Apex 2013(I'll keep the name) regarding KOF commentary,

I'm almost positive that you talked to some that goes by the tag name: Alex Strife