Author Topic: Duo Lon (Arcade Version)  (Read 43131 times)

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
Re: Duo Lon
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
With all the cool Duolons I'm seeing, I think I'll put him on my team!

He's definitely an acquired taste, especially if you're used to him having a command throw.  He's generally very low on damage (NM being second lowest) and it's not the easiest to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time.

I knew since 2003 that he deals low damage, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm not always looking for the characters that deal the most damage.

2003 he was banned in many tournaments =P

In KOF XIII what makes him good is his high pressure games with still having the ability to zone with his far attacks. On the downside he has one of the least damage in combos.

Other characters can output large amounts of damage in 1 combo. But I believe a good duo lon player will be able to create more openings to do combos more often which can be similar to having high damage ouput.

Wut?

There's been 2003 tournaments?

*fkees*

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:35 AM »
Yeah, in my down time from playing I'm spending a bit of time researching more set ups for 50/50s and stuff like that. I'm not really doing a good job of it haha. The only one I have memorized is the rekkas into f.BD into j.C for the 50/50. Just to reiterate any j.Cd leads to a 50/50 as well correct?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2011, 12:32:08 AM »
Just to reiterate any j.Cd leads to a 50/50 as well correct?

I stand corrected, any non-J.CD will work.   In DL's case, it's because his air.f+AC rejuggles and "holds" him in place instead of knocking them away like a j.CD should.

---
Examining Kunio's DL I've picked up a thing or two, can't wait till all the videos are uploaded.

-d.A, f.A, qcf+P x3 (first one whiffs) is still a safer bet than d.A, qcf x3+P.  It does more damage, and easier to hit confirm, safer overall.  You can always cancel into teleport (qcf/qcb+K) off a f.A but not off a qcf+P without drive canceling.
-From half a screen f+A into qcb+P is pretty safe and good pressure.
-On wake up, s.CD crosses up (whiffs) and so you can cancel it into his rekkas (qcf+Ps) <--nasty!.
-From full screen, hop air.f+A is a good air-to-air.
-Getting out of a sticky situation with the use of Ex qcf+P.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:34:03 PM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:39 AM »
So when you are waking up if you do s.CD it'll whiff but you end up on the other side? That is absolutely dirty. The ex Rekka tip might be helpful because my Duo is so trash once I'm in the corner.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »
So when you are waking up if you do s.CD it'll whiff but you end up on the other side? That is absolutely dirty. The ex Rekka tip might be helpful because my Duo is so trash once I'm in the corner.

I added the link to my last post.  Usually I link it to the exact time but I wanted to illustrate how he sets it up.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »
Ah okay, I misunderstand what you said but it's still dirty haha. I'll try incorporating it into my game ASAP.

I don't think anyone at my school really comes here which is a shame because I'm learning so much. I think I'd have such a harder time if they knew all the tricks and set ups I'm going for without getting hit by it first.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:19 AM »
Two quick questions (hoping B.a.l.a or No.17 could share their knowledge and experience with DL).

1) Any practical uses for air.fwd+BD (air.6+BD)?

and

2) Is it worth doing fwd+AC (6+AC), down A (2A), standing C (5C) ...?  Or is it better to save up for 2 stocks for the Ex DM?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:37:14 PM by Kane317 »

No.17

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
I guess it doesn't need to use.
air.fwd+BD effects longer hit(bend) motion than air.fwd+B, but DL cannot do ground combo even if he uses air.fwd+BD right after short front jump and hits that means a middle detection.

2) Is it worth doing fwd+AC (6+AC), down A (2A), standing C (5C) ...?  Or is it better to save up for 2 stocks for the Ex DM?
I think it's not effective.
About KOF13 system, it usually takes 5% less damage each hit count. If DL uses fwd+AC, he cannot deliver to a big damage.
It's better that uses Ex DM or other Ex SM. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:56:01 PM by No.17 »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
I guess it doesn't need to use.
air.fwd+BD effects longer hit(bend) motion than air.fwd+B, but he DL cannot do ground combo even if he uses air.fwd+BD right after front jump and hits that means a middle detection.

2) Is it worth doing fwd+AC (6+AC), down A (2A), standing C (5C) ...?  Or is it better to save up for 2 stocks for the Ex DM?
I think it's not effective.
About KOF13 system, it usually takes 5% less damage each hit count. If DL uses fwd+AC, he cannot deliver to a big damage.
It's better that uses Ex DM or other Ex SM. :)

1) I see, I didn't think it was worth it either.

2) Just as I expected.

Thank you so much, see you this weekend!

No.17

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2011, 05:17:46 AM »
You're welcome! See you soon! :)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:17 PM »
You're welcome! See you soon! :)

Another quick question:  What is your combo of choice, non-corner, for 50% drive and 1 stock?

No.17

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2011, 03:39:04 AM »
Another quick question:  What is your combo of choice, non-corner, for 50% drive and 1 stock?
I don't use drive and stock, because I use DL at 1st and want to keep them for 2nd.
But of course you can use DC combo.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
I decided to compile a list of videos to highlight great Duo Lon players which I feel would help anyone trying to learn him. Most of the links are scattered throughout the video thread and this thread itself and since most likely this post will disappear over the months, I listed everything on the second post on the first page.  The idea is to eventually have this done to every character but one step at a time for now.

EDIT: Small tidbit - s.A has slightly more range than d.A but not by much.

EDIT2: Found a true follow up to his air.f+BD...another air.f+BD lol.

EDIT3: Turns out that his qcb+P projectile does have a slow and fast version (A and C respectively).  The C version is actually great to setup mix when the opponent is down --> D teleport.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:21:36 AM by Kane317 »

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2011, 02:14:34 AM »
After the Southtown tourney, and playing Duo Lon again, I realized I forgot so many things. I didn't remember the s.CD whiff crossup on the opponent's wakeup, the mixups after rekkas, or even that I didn't need to drive cancel to land an EX DM after rekkas. I'll probably try to stick with him for a while, since I enjoy his playstyle. Perhaps I'll fill in his wiki a little more with notes and whatnot like I did with the Leona and King pages.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »
After the Southtown tourney, and playing Duo Lon again, I realized I forgot so many things. I didn't remember the s.CD whiff crossup on the opponent's wakeup, the mixups after rekkas, or even that I didn't need to drive cancel to land an EX DM after rekkas. I'll probably try to stick with him for a while, since I enjoy his playstyle. Perhaps I'll fill in his wiki a little more with notes and whatnot like I did with the Leona and King pages.

Usual disclaimer of me being a learning DL player as well so you can take the tidbit information with a grain of salt and you probably know most of this but I'll lend you whatever little DL experience I have:

• s.A seems to be the popular choice after the Rekkas since it seemingly setups the mix up of hop B --> air.f+B timing much easier.  Otherwise use s.C for sightly more damage.
  • Of course you mentioned it already, you don't need to [DC] into his Ex DM.  Corner you just qcf+B then do Ex DM the normal direction; mid screen you qcf+B and do the Ex DM the crossup direction.
  • A lot of times you're deep enough to do two d.Bs, d.A, rekkas so you use that for a good hit confirmation.  Alternatively, d.B, d.A, f+A works wonders as well (just don't forget to return to neutral).
  • Personally, I like the d.B, d.A, f+A, qcb+K~f+K as the combo of choice since it's safer.  Change the f+K into Ex f+BD for some style points and setup your mixup.
  • Speaking of which, when I do f+BD I usually follow up with j.C for mixup, j.CD-->f.AC for a more damaging variation mixup, or j.CD--> land --> qcb+C (not A) --> qcf+D --> combo.  It's not a perfect setup but it's close enough to make your opponent have to jump or eat a combo from behind as your projectile hits from the other side at the same time.
  • If the f.BD is landed from full screen you can do f.A (from where you are) into qcf+B or qcf+D.  The light version will put you pretty much in the front and the strong version will drop in you in the back.
  • Don't forget dash in normal throws as well.  After the throw, qcf+B will drop you in the front and qcf+D will leave you in behind like before.  Then you can also do the s.CD-wakeup-crossup-mixup.
  • After a blocked d.A, do an Ex qcf+K and you should be right behind them and it's very hard for an opponent to react even with the little block stun that d.A has.
  • Air-to-air j.C should be your choice of poison, sometimes the downward angle of the j.D makes you misses a lot of opportunities that you should have won the air battle; I noticed that against Ralf and against Andy.
  • Don't forget Rekkas, [DC] f+BD (on last rekkas), hyper hop C, hyper jump D will land you perfectly for a crossup.
I'll add more if I catch anything else, otherwise your DL did real good man.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:19:49 AM by Kane317 »