Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343777 times)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »

congratz to 1k posts!

Well if they implemented it like Ryo's then there would be no problem i thought

Thanks ^_^

Well that would kind of take out the Just out of Just Defend.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
which in hinsight would kinda make ryo's parry lackluster too lol

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2016, 07:56:41 PM »
Diavle I wouldn't like to be the one balancing just defence in a kof game, it would be hell. What if just defence cancel into a special took a stock off you?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
which in hinsight would kinda make ryo's parry lackluster too lol

Well it sort of is hehe, people use it more for canceling his normals than actual parrying in XIII.

Diavle I wouldn't like to be the one balancing just defence in a kof game, it would be hell. What if just defence cancel into a special took a stock off you?

That would be interesting but it still punishes the attacker too much. Imagine getting hit with an EX DM or Climax DM just because the opponent blocked your basic jump in attack sequence. If you limited it to special moves then it just becomes an alpha counter.

I do agree though that something more needs to be done with JD than what is there now in XIV but not quite sure what it is since KOF already has its own defensive mechanics in rolling, GGCD and guard cancel rolling and XIV has added another option in the Max mode activation (which slows/stops time to give you a window to punish).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:46:15 PM by Diavle »

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »
So is mark of the wolves a broken game with its JD systems? I thought it would create more strategy, if they miss time their jump in attack, then they have to block your pressure as a consequence.

I do agree it would change kof XIV into a different beast altogether. But isn't that the point when your trying to make something new. Besides they could just patch in new code if it doesn't work.

I don't see a problem with the alpha counter approach when you use a stock for a special cancel. You don't have to use it as if you miss time it you lose a stock. But the chance if you use just defence cancel and get a dm or SDM to land, then haven't you earned it, also that would in theory take 2 stocks or even 3 for an sdm.

Anyway I cannot see them applying JD cancel. At most you would get is small life replenish or gauge metre. Hope we get some info at the Taipei game show.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »
Garou and KOF are very different games. KOF is much faster and has its own defensive mechanics. You also get way more meter to play around with in KOF than in Garou. Unlike Garou you can also carry meter between characters.

If you put in alpha counters then what is the point of GCCDs and guard cancel rolls?

There is a good reason that Capcom didn't use parries again in SF after SF3. And even though they gave Ryu a parry in SFV they really gimped it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:51:01 PM by Diavle »

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
Garou and KOF are very different games. KOF is much faster and has its own defensive mechanics. You also get way more meter to play around with in KOF than in Garou. Unlike Garou you can also carry meter between characters.

If you put in alpha counters then what is the point of GCCDs and guard cancel rolls?

There is a good reason that Capcom didn't use parries again in SF after SF3. And even though they gave Ryu a parry in SFV they really gimped it.

Its not an alpha counter, JD cancel can cancel into any special moves for the reward of more damage. Whilst GGCD is just to give you some breathing space just by blocking and pushing C+D. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. That's the point, it would change the game considerably.

Sf3 parry was a huge risk if you missed as you couldn't block if you failed & sf4 focus cancel at the cost of grey life lost could be used against the user if predicted.
The point I'm trying to make here is that game systems have flaws here and there and people still play games regardless, cant we have something different to get used to.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
cant we have something different to get used to.

No, you can't :p

They tried new things with XII but had to go back to the classic style with XIII, because that is what the majority of the KOF fans like. Mess with the formula too much and KOF fans will just stick to the old games.

What I feel when I see XIV is a game that both the old school and new (KOFXIII) crowds could enjoy. Aiming for the tried and true KOF feel is where it's at and I'm glad that SNK has their priorities straight.

Either way, the new Max mode has a new defense aspect built into it so there's that. The implementation of the mode in XIV overall is very interesting I think.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:26:25 PM by Diavle »

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »
 :( But i wanted something new lol

Yeah XII sucked badly, I cant believe XIII turned out so good, SNK were really clever and worked hard to make that happen.

I know what you mean, they are making the system like 02um basic gameplay, XIII's max mode activation but with new combos with the ex moves.

And the B+C activation will have only a few cancels before the time gauge empties, this should help balance the max mode from having one touch death combos. They hope  ;)

The cancels for the character depending where they are placed in the team look something like
1st character 2 cancels
2nd character 3 cancels
3rd character 4 cancels

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
XIV doesn't have any drive canceling at all (with or without activation), that's why the combos will be shorter in general.

We will be seeing a lot more super-canceling though since it just costs one power bar total now (unlike XIII or 02).

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:54 PM »
Because theirs no drive bar to drive cancel with. Yes i agree there will be lots of super cancels unless players figure out higher damage juggle combos.

But you can cancel during maxmode right? your post makes it sound like you can't.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2016, 11:03:06 PM »
Nope you can't, not even in max mode.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:57 PM »
http://dreamcancel.com/2015/12/06/everything-we-know-about-kof-xiv-so-far/

You can cancel a special move into super move, though the canceling window is small.  It requires a bit of execution.  It also does not cost any additional resource beyond the meter required for the super move.

You can cancel a normal move with Max mode activation and continue the combo from there, but Max mode timer will be at 50% if activated this way.

there is even an interview with the producer that said if you are proficient enough you can do XIII'ish combos.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:16:21 PM by The Good Loser »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »
Special to super is just a super-cancel.

You won't be seeing any XIII'ish HD loops since they were only possible due to drive cancels (canceling specials into other specials).

At most you will be able to stick in an EX move or two before you have to finish with a super cancel.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:44:45 PM by Diavle »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »
which would be just fine in my book