Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343618 times)

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #795 on: March 29, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
I have to agree, there seems to be a pattern. Good way to give me weekly dose of excitement :)

I've been thinking, how good are XIV's chances to be successful game? First impressions back in September sure weren't good and some YouTube personalities jumped on the "meh, crappy graphics" bandwagon. However, next trailers showed huge improvements  and there seems to be more positive thoughts, although there are still some "graphics snobs" here and there.

Did the first impressions ruin the chances of succesful comeback, will KOF XIV be the next big fighting game or something in-between?
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 29, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
Well, the game is looking better after first trailers, but still it doesn't look like a PS4 game. Graphics are decent now, but not impressive, and probably this won't help to make the game stand out when it gets released. However, KOF is a very popular fighting game inside fighting game community and if the game can prove that is a good title in therms of gameplay and competition and if it has a good playable online, I think it wil do it pretty well.
So, what's important now is:
-Keep improving visuals
-Keep the hype
-To have a good KOF gameplay and be supportive to its competitive scene
-Good online once the game comes out (very important point)
-Tons of content from first day (offline and online modes, alternate costumes, good story, etc)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:56:38 PM by Shiranui_ninja »
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 29, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »
It's not overly likely that kof14 will get to be king of the current gen but it actually has a chance to get better critical support than sf5 because of critics lack of interest in sf5s future. If kof14 is a complete game in terms of modes, layout, controller support etc i think that it can score points over sf5 that way and thus gain interest among casuals.

Kof 14s backgrounds look better than sf5s now and imo the characters have caught up aswell. It's a bit uneven now i suppose but we'll see what the game ends up looking like when it's actually done. Imo, snkp starting promotion so early has so far given an interesting look into graphical design and peoples expectations and perceptions thereof.

videoman190

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 29, 2016, 07:44:13 PM »
KOFXIV screenshots of the day.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

According to Neogaf SNKP has found a publisher
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199526844&postcount=994

Arkayruz

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 29, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »
Its so hard for me to understand how those still pics look way too detailed but those details are barely noticeable when in motion.

And Hi btw, new here, been looking for a while for a forum to chat about the game (pretty hype to be honest) tried to access neogaf but couldn't because of "no can't do free email" purposes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:53:45 PM by Arkayruz »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:54 PM »

Its so hard for me to understand how those still pics look way too detailed but those details are barely noticeable when in motion.

And Hi btw, new here, been looking for a while for a forum to chat about the game (pretty hype o be honest) tried to access neogaf but couldn't because of "no can't do free email" purposes.

Welcome to the forums, if you're interested in building yourself a playerbase you can introduce yourself in the "I'm new" section.

In motion some of the characters look even better as well.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
I feel the game will probably do decently, the gameplay is already shaping up nicely, and graphics have made leaps since black haired squinting Kyo. However, if it is a good game, that's when we the players need to step up and support it. If we end up liking this game we need to be vocal about it, like the Melee crowd was about their game. XIII was fun but it felt like the KOF community was still divided by it and the UMs. While it's fine that you may have a favorite in one of the previous titles, if this one is good, help get the word out and play it.

@Arkayruz: Welcome to Dream Cancel, glad to see more people hype for this game.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 29, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »
@Ottomatic: I agree with that.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 29, 2016, 10:30:27 PM »
I think that kof 13 has built a community that actually can be vocal this time around. 13 got some hype, but it kind of had to build its popularity from the ground up and earn fans by merit. One thing i think is important to the success of 14 is that people do not exaggerate the difficulty of the game although hopefully it won't invite people to do so in the first place.

Arkayruz

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 30, 2016, 12:03:31 AM »
the KOF community was still divided by it and the UMs.

You guys have no idea how much of an issue this is in south america. Yeah, the fanbase is HUGE (specially mexico and brazil) but they just cannot get over 98 and 2002. Where I live we have a group of 5-6 guys, we gather to play Kof every now and then, but they despise XI and barely know XIII... Hell, they still get confuse when I mention oswald or momoko. And that elitism is based solely on gameplay, given that XI and XIII play nothing like the UMs. Brazil and mexico are not that different from my friends and I know a lot of people think the same way (specially the GGPO community)

So, Here's hoping XVI plays like 2k2.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 30, 2016, 03:14:32 AM »
Joining the welcoming chorus, welcome to DreamCanel Arkayruz.

I believe XIV does have potential in the long run. It's gained a lot more positivity than I ever thought it would from that first reveal, and we've still got more to go. Pre-release, I think they need to keep getting the game directly into as many players hands as possible, at least to build more hype and grow the conversation around more than visuals. And eyes also, as YT is still holding back how good this game can look if earlier impressions were right.

Like others, I expect it to do decently at the start, pending that it has strong content (if it didn't have it at first, I hope some of the initial reception SFV changes that), at least great online, and since the team behind XIV is looking to make an amalgamation of '98, '02, & XIII, that any fan or player of KOF needs to put time in if they, if we want a large community to spawn from this. For communities like the ones Arkayruz is apart of, I really hope everyone keeps an open mind for XIV. It'd be awesome if XIV at least shared the same local and international tournament hype XIII did, but longer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:17:32 AM by solidshark »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 30, 2016, 07:20:35 AM »
You guys have no idea how much of an issue this is in south america. Yeah, the fanbase is HUGE (specially mexico and brazil) but they just cannot get over 98 and 2002. Where I live we have a group of 5-6 guys, we gather to play Kof every now and then, but they despise XI and barely know XIII... Hell, they still get confuse when I mention oswald or momoko. And that elitism is based solely on gameplay, given that XI and XIII play nothing like the UMs. Brazil and mexico are not that different from my friends and I know a lot of people think the same way (specially the GGPO community)

So, Here's hoping XVI plays like 2k2.
Heh. What I've read about peoples opinion about XI, it is quite dividing.

KOF is like a old respected band. Fanbase agrees that 98 and 2002 (UM's) are the most popular and XI is the dividing album. Newer fans love it, because it is so different, but old fans hate it, because it is so different. XI is my favorite KOF, so it is quite sad to see such a backlash when talking about it.

I sure remember the hype around XIII. We were nervous about does the game get publisher for US and EU. I didn't get chance to play XIII until it was released on PC and by that time, I wasn't so much into fighters. I started playing it when XIV was announced.

So yeah, I hope whole fanbase is more supportive towards XIV. What I've read and heard, it sounds more like a game I would enjoy. Maybe not as much as XI (I wish SNK would return to tag format someday), but probably more than XIII.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 30, 2016, 08:13:56 AM »
I like XI. I just happen to suck at it. It also plays quite differently than other KOF's at high levels, which is usually where the divide takes place. I'm ok with it cause I look at it as a different type of game than the "traditional" KOFs, but I don't judge people whom like or dislike it due to that being a difference in preference.

But back to XIV discussions. Is KVOxTSB supposed to have 20 characters, or over 20? I'm confused about what's going on with that.

And one random question: Does anyone feel particularly strongly when someone wants to throw a 1v1 tournament? I prefer 3v3 game format for KOFs but I'd still be down for 1v1 matches if the TO decided to run that.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 30, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »
I like XI. I just happen to suck at it. It also plays quite differently than other KOF's at high levels, which is usually where the divide takes place. I'm ok with it cause I look at it as a different type of game than the "traditional" KOFs, but I don't judge people whom like or dislike it due to that being a difference in preference.

But back to XIV discussions. Is KVOxTSB supposed to have 20 characters, or over 20? I'm confused about what's going on with that.

And one random question: Does anyone feel particularly strongly when someone wants to throw a 1v1 tournament? I prefer 3v3 game format for KOFs but I'd still be down for 1v1 matches if the TO decided to run that.

Speaking as a lover of XI myself, agree with you guys.

I get the feeling KVOxTSB is going to have just 20 characters. After the last few showings where it's only been a few more than the last time, and I think it was 9 total at PS Arena, 20 is a good jump. I'd prefer 20 over more right now, if to bring back some tournamet focus on previously shown characters.

And for your random question, do you mean 1v1 and 3v3 as in characters, or players? If characters, definitely 3v3. If you meant players in a team battle, I'd like to see both at a tournament. Other than '03 and XI because of tagging, I think most KOF's really lend themselves well to the idea of team-player battles.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 30, 2016, 09:02:31 AM »
I meant 1 character v 1 character, sometimes a person thinks their running SF with a different cast and I'll still play but I much prefer 3 chars v 3 chars. 3 player v 3 players can be alot of fun though, or a little frustrating when your team mates don't save meter for you as anchor (I think anyone playing last on a team has run into this issue at least once). The only real issue I have with 3 players is if they use different button layouts as that can make for some problems.