Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread  (Read 1039166 times)

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #2445 on: November 21, 2011, 04:49:21 AM »
those other two dlc chars seems two beasts... so iori ex moves scary a little less, maybe xD

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 21, 2011, 05:01:55 AM »
I actually don't mind DLC characters this time. And the reasons why I'm giving SNKP a pass are:

They're actually releasing characters that we want for the most part. Yeah, it sucks we don't have Yamazaki, Blue Mary, Vanessa, Gato, Oswald, etc. But, we are getting EX Kyo and Iori, and Shin Mr. Karate back which is a happy middle. Compare this to UMVC3 adding characters about half of which no one gives a shit about.

The other reason; I see it more as a donation to SNKP. They're not going to be making very much off of DLC, so I see it more as an extra thank you to them for making KOF13, and focusing on Netcode and features that we want, and as an indication that we want more.

Plus you get stages exclusive to those characters too. So I might just buy EX Kyo if his stage is badass. Compare this to Crapcom charging $3 a piece of hideous DLC colors for 3SOE.

that's how i see it too.
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 21, 2011, 05:15:31 AM »
I actually don't mind DLC characters this time. And the reasons why I'm giving SNKP a pass are:

They're actually releasing characters that we want for the most part. Yeah, it sucks we don't have Yamazaki, Blue Mary, Vanessa, Gato, Oswald, etc. But, we are getting EX Kyo and Iori, and Shin Mr. Karate back which is a happy middle. Compare this to UMVC3 adding characters about half of which no one gives a shit about.

The other reason; I see it more as a donation to SNKP. They're not going to be making very much off of DLC, so I see it more as an extra thank you to them for making KOF13, and focusing on Netcode and features that we want, and as an indication that we want more.

Plus you get stages exclusive to those characters too. So I might just buy EX Kyo if his stage is badass. Compare this to Crapcom charging $3 a piece of hideous DLC colors for 3SOE.

You took the words right out my mouth, and I couldn't agree more.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:23:25 AM by nightmoves »

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 21, 2011, 05:35:20 AM »
i never really played garou, what's up with "braking" a dp? is it only for combos or does it make the dp actually safe, which would be fucking silly

Breaking is the same as DP>FADC>Ultra, for example, in SF4, though MOTW did it a decade earlier.

When you break the move (on the first hit) it stops the move and leaves the opponent in a juggle state (if that first hit connected). If you break a move on block then it leaves you relatively safe (unless the opponent has a fast move).

Unlike SF4 though MOTW does not require meter to break, same in XIII. From the entire cast in XIII only Karate and Andy can break one of their moves.
it seems fair for andy's chuuhadan to me, but safe dp for free is lol, especially when the brake mechanic increases the reward for the dp. hopefully its not too safe
though i guess kof dps typically dont have tons of invincibility, but...

also, regarding dlc: i have never minded dlc for stuff like characters because fighting games already give you huuuge replay value for the money, so i frankly dont give a fuck if the game ends up being $65 with dlc charas instead of $50. i really prefer it to be stuff thats finished after launch, but whatever

If you live around Dallas and play KOF, AH3, BB, GG, or MB, PM me~

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 21, 2011, 05:39:46 AM »

Breaking is the same as DP>FADC>Ultra, for example, in SF4, though MOTW did it a decade earlier.

When you break the move (on the first hit) it stops the move and leaves the opponent in a juggle state (if that first hit connected). If you break a move on block then it leaves you relatively safe (unless the opponent has a fast move).

Unlike SF4 though MOTW does not require meter to break, same in XIII. From the entire cast in XIII only Karate and Andy can break one of their moves.

Yeah. Except in Garou it was much more abusable. This could easily make Shin Mr. Karate top tier if SRK is totally safe and what kind of juggles he could pull off.

If its broken it could be easily fixed if they make Breaking take off Drive Cancel meter, or you could only break the EX version, or even just apply severe damage scaling after doing it.

*Maybe this is why they're not available yet because SNKP is still balancing them out? Just a hypothesis I'm throwing out there.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:43:33 AM by LouisCipher »
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 21, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »
*Maybe this is why they're not available yet because SNKP is still balancing them out? Just a hypothesis I'm throwing out there.

You know... that makes perfect sense. They put everything in the game, animations, frames, etc. But SNKP might be testing these characters internally and then just change properties to make the characters more balanced.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 21, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »

While I agree with some of it (ESPECIALLY the abomination that was 3SOE...), honestly, this is more about that it's a company that's not Capcom that's doing DLC this way.  

Let's be honest here, NRS did it with MK9, no one gave a crap.  No one company should be more justified doing something than another, that's just blatant hypocrisy mostly.

If it isn't okay for one company, it shouldn't be okay for any company and vice versa.  And while, it's nice to see some old archetypes make a comeback since they went missing after XII, personally, I'd rather no one do ANY DLC characters as it serves to be more of a pain in the ass than anything.  Not Capcom, not NRS, not ArcSys, not SNKP, not anyone, period.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 21, 2011, 06:05:01 AM »
That's an excellent point.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 21, 2011, 06:06:21 AM »
And while, it's nice to see some old archetypes make a comeback since they went missing after XII, personally, I'd rather no one do ANY DLC characters as it serves to be more of a pain in the ass than anything.  Not Capcom, not NRS, not ArcSys, not SNKP, not anyone, period.

new content several months after launch is delightful
so i disagree

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 21, 2011, 06:23:16 AM »
And while, it's nice to see some old archetypes make a comeback since they went missing after XII, personally, I'd rather no one do ANY DLC characters as it serves to be more of a pain in the ass than anything.  Not Capcom, not NRS, not ArcSys, not SNKP, not anyone, period.

so i disagree

No one is arguing that, but making Characters in a fighting game DLC can be troublesome, since not everybody will buy them and making them most likely banned in tournaments. I wouldn't mind having Stages, Music, New Story elements  added as DLC.

Here is my solution for DLC Characters:
1. Make them free
2. Make them a unlockable and make it hard.
3. If the person doesn't want to unlock them, release a 2 dllrs key to unlock him.

That should be a better model IMO.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 21, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
And while, it's nice to see some old archetypes make a comeback since they went missing after XII, personally, I'd rather no one do ANY DLC characters as it serves to be more of a pain in the ass than anything.  Not Capcom, not NRS, not ArcSys, not SNKP, not anyone, period.

so i disagree

New Content is fine, as long as it doesn't affect gameplay, and if it does, it better be free (though in no way do I think that the work that would go into new characters should be free, which is why I'd rather they not do it at all).

From a casual standpoint, they won't care about DLC characters, and will think they're neat.  As for people who organize or run tourneys, they're a pain in the ass.

Let a game sit for a damn year before even CONSIDERING anything new (outside of patch fixes).
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: November 21, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
Having modular DLC that is inconsistent between individual players can be a pain, and I'd rather everyone be practicing at the same game state. I think having a big update-and-rebalance DLC like AE every year or two is the best option assuming we're not trucking right into KOFXIV.

The reason people are adverse to this kind of thing for MvC3 and SF4 are that MvC3 felt way too unfinished and the actual content of AE was widely regarded to be sub-par. KOF XIII on the other hand is proven to be a solid game and as long as SNK doesn't make Yun-type stupidity I'd be down for a $10-15 yearly update.

mightfo

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 21, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
New Content is fine, as long as it doesn't affect gameplay, and if it does, it better be free (though in no way do I think that the work that would go into new characters should be free, which is why I'd rather they not do it at all).

From a casual standpoint, they won't care about DLC characters, and will think they're neat.  As for people who organize or run tourneys, they're a pain in the ass.

Let a game sit for a damn year before even CONSIDERING anything new (outside of patch fixes).

if new content doesnt affect gameplay in any way then it doesnt really contribute to the game and is irrelevant to serious discussion since it's a matter of
 "that dlc stage was cool" "yup"
"that dlc costume costs too much GODDAMN <COMPANY NAME WITH $ REPLACING THE LETTER S>" "yeah!"
new characters are delightful
i am aware that dlc charas can be a hurdle for tourney organizers but that doesnt mean im going to take a hardline stance against breathing extra hype into a scene

since not everybody will buy them and making them most likely banned in tournaments.
name dlc characters that got banned for more than a month and weren't exclusive to a console or something else insane
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:06:58 AM by mightfo »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 21, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »
Hype is what you make of it.  If a game cannot last that long on hype, that means either the game wasn't that good to begin with or the community just straight fucked up.  It's up to the community to keep the game running as long as they can.

More often than not, what REALLY breathes hype into a game is not new characters, but people discovering underused older characters and putting them up against the best within the game.

I guarantee you'd get more hype out of Chin or Mai schooling K' and Raiden rather than EX Kyo lighting it up.

GuamoKun

• Rising Dragon
  • I MISSES YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
Hype is what you make of it.  If a game cannot last that long on hype, that means either the game wasn't that good to begin with or the community just straight fucked up.  It's up to the community to keep the game running as long as they can.

More often than not, what REALLY breathes hype into a game is not new characters, but people discovering underused older characters and putting them up against the best within the game.

I guarantee you'd get more hype out of Chin or Mai schooling K' and Raiden rather than EX Kyo lighting it up.

Quoted for truth. I'm starting to integrate KoF into my tourney life.

Heck, I made a video hyping MK for SCR. Not that its a bad thing.

I love KoF but love for the game doesn't help it live for long. It's about the community showing the rest wy they love it so much.