Dream Cancel Forum

News:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself HERE!

The Persona 4: The Ultimata in Mayonaka Arena Thread

Started by sibarraz, August 31, 2011, 04:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baccano1932

Quote from: Proto Cloud on March 14, 2012, 11:38:33 PM
The reason they aren't talking is that it's a Japanese only release, what'd you expect?

Well it's just that at thsi point BB is a fairly well accepted game in NA and I thought the community would be doing more for the game, especially since in JP a lot of top BB players have been picking it up. As well a lot of the fighting game centric sites haven't been giving it much coverage outside of like a obligatory combo video or stuff like that. Then again your point does stand and the ignorance of the general fighting game player to new series or games that aren't made by Capcom, Namco or another major developer/publisher tends to hold back games like this.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Proto Cloud

You gotta understand that this is hot off BBCSEX. It was a VERY different time when BBCT first came out. It was 2009 or so and we hadn't had a legit new fighter in ages and most people didn't care for GGX2's various new installments.

So, basically discounting KOFXII, which was a dismal failure, 2009 was just SFIV and BB. So basically anyone that didn't give a damn about SFIV, like myself, were more than excited for a substitute fighter. Compare that to 2012 and we've got SSFIVAE2012, UMvC3, SCV, MK9, SFxT, BBCSEX, Tekken 6 and KOFXIII. Also there's Skullgirls, TTT2 and VFFS as well coming this year. You really can't compare. It's a very different ballgame and it's almost like the late 90s all over again, without the bad MK knockoffs.

baccano1932

Quote from: Proto Cloud on March 16, 2012, 09:31:04 PM
You gotta understand that this is hot off BBCSEX. It was a VERY different time when BBCT first came out. It was 2009 or so and we hadn't had a legit new fighter in ages and most people didn't care for GGX2's various new installments.

So, basically discounting KOFXII, which was a dismal failure, 2009 was just SFIV and BB. So basically anyone that didn't give a damn about SFIV, like myself, were more than excited for a substitute fighter. Compare that to 2012 and we've got SSFIVAE2012, UMvC3, SCV, MK9, SFxT, BBCSEX, Tekken 6 and KOFXIII. Also there's Skullgirls, TTT2 and VFFS as well coming this year. You really can't compare. It's a very different ballgame and it's almost like the late 90s all over again, without the bad MK knockoffs.

Thats true and i'm not trying to argue that the fighting game market isn't much more competitve now then when BB originally came out, it's that in the East ie: Japan the game has gained at least some traction and that I was surprised that it hasn't carried over at all to the west, regardless of the restrictions on the arcade cabinets and stuff like that.

In addition to this, Capcom backlash is at an all time high and continues to grow as time goes on so unless people are just blowing hot air ( which is a possibility ) you'd think a lot of people wouldn't be looking to play Capcom's games.

Also the style of gameplay in P4U/BB/GG is raher different than most other fighters and I thought that a lot of people who were into that style would be more into P4U than the other upcoming releases though I could be mistaken on this point.

Finally one small factual nitpick is that Tekken 6 also came out on console in 2009. Also didn't Battle Fantasia come out in some regions in 2009 as well? cause I thought it did.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Emperor Paine

There is like 3 or 4 people on this game I gonna try out. Couldn't tell you their names.
But I believe this game will be really fun.

baccano1932

Console release date now set as August 2nd
http://andriasang.com/con0oy/p4_arena_home_date/

Also anyone got an opinion on Liz and Labryth?

Saitsuofleaves

On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Proto Cloud

Saitsuofleaves

Well so far so meh.  Maybe I need to play the actual P4 to be interested.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

baccano1932

Quote from: Saitsuofleaves on May 12, 2012, 04:46:06 PM

Not really no a lot of people in the fighting game community haven't played it and are still all over it, maybe is BlazBlue fatigue or something cause I remember being super hype for the original and then I played it and was like ohhhhh... this isn't really that great a game after all and now even though i'm still hype for P4A i'm kind of trying to be more tempered in my reactions since i've been through this song and dance before.

Saitsuofleaves

Idk, maybe I need to see some actual matches or something.

Xxenace

still think people should at least look up some info about P3-4 at least so they wont sound ignorant about it

Proto Cloud

Seriously, get P3 and 4. Knowing your tastes so far. You'd probably love the stories. Also they're not as niche as the rest of the SMT games.

Delta

Quote from: Xxenace on May 12, 2012, 11:18:54 PM
still think people should at least look up some info about P3-4 at least so they wont sound ignorant about it

Thinking the same, that's why i will try to play P3 and P4 before trying this game.

1 question tho: how good is the English voice act in P3? I already got the undub iso game to play on a PS2 emulator, but i am seriously thinking about buying it from the PS Store. So far i know the game (like all PS2 games from PSN) must be an exact copy of the original PS2 game, and that version only had English voices methinks.

Saitsuofleaves

Quote from: Proto Cloud on May 13, 2012, 04:33:17 AM

Seriously, get P3 and 4. Knowing your tastes so far. You'd probably love the stories. Also they're not as niche as the rest of the SMT games.

What systems are they on?

Proto Cloud

P3 is on PS2, PSN and PSP. The only version you should occupy yourself with is the FES version because it's the most complete and the epilogue ties with P4A's story. (Both on PSN/PS2 Vanilla P3 and P3P don't have the epilogue and P3P on PSP is only recommended for those that have already beat P3FES. It's pretty stripped down and its only notable feature is the ability to play as a female main character. Also, be careful with the PSN version, I heard it has some issues and I have no idea what they are or how they can be resolved.

As for P4, it's only available on PS2. The Vita version isn't set until October and it's not out on PSN yet.