Author Topic: Netcode Lag/Delay Test Reports  (Read 87152 times)

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Netcode Lag/Delay Test Reports
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
After reading your reactions in this thread i think i wil do another kof stream again in the future to further test the netcode. the game is hella fun and i wouldnt not buy it based on subpar netcode since the game is good but i definitely want to get to the bottom of the netcode issue. better to play ppl that know what theyre doing than randoms online even if they have good connection so i can see it for myself

ill probably make a thread or hit up some of the dreamcancel guys to see if i can set it up for sure.
but yeah def check out the stream archive i think my reactions are pretty telling for a ot of issues that people will run into online play before they get the game in their hands

I will.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
The problem is that, you can make up for meh netcode or the variety of bad connections by making it so people can always find the best connections that are possible.

With XIII, you can't trust that ability and that only goes to make things a lot worse.

Netcode's only half the battle.  If you can't FIND the optimal connections in order to have a match run well, then it don't matter if it's KOF02UM all the way to GGPO netcode, the game will run shitty half the time and there's nothing you can do about it.  And if the game DOES have a shitty netcode, then the online might as well be nonexistent.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
The problem is that, you can make up for meh netcode or the variety of bad connections by making it so people can always find the best connections that are possible.

With XIII, you can't trust that ability and that only goes to make things a lot worse.

Netcode's only half the battle.  If you can't FIND the optimal connections in order to have a match run well, then it don't matter if it's KOF02UM all the way to GGPO netcode, the game will run shitty half the time and there's nothing you can do about it.  And if the game DOES have a shitty netcode, then the online might as well be nonexistent.

this is why ggpo netcode is so good. can have playable connections to other countries with smoothing. used to play NY to Japan for super turbo (220ms ping), smoothing 1 or 2, far more playable than input delay netcode which is what kof13 is

input delay netcode makes their shitty connection that much more apparent, which means you have to stay within a reasonable distance relative to your region to even have good matches assuming both you and your opponent have strong connections, and have everything configured properly

Grokbu

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input, it's really appreciated.

I hope I'll get this game soon, since all these different opinions about the netcode is starting to drive me insane.

I have a couple of guys here in Sweden that I usually have good matches with in GGPO/BB. I'll see how our matches turn out when we get the game.

Long combos aren't really the main problem for me with lag. It's reacting to stuff, and with all the hopping of KOF, lots of delay will suck big time (it always does though).

I hope that the amount of delay in our matches will be less than in MVC3 at least...

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011, 07:15:20 PM »

Netcode's only half the battle.  If you can't FIND the optimal connections in order to have a match run well, then it don't matter if it's KOF02UM all the way to GGPO netcode, the game will run shitty half the time and there's nothing you can do about it.  And if the game DOES have a shitty netcode, then the online might as well be nonexistent.

this is why ggpo netcode is so good. can have playable connections to other countries with smoothing. used to play NY to Japan for super turbo (220ms ping), smoothing 1 or 2, far more playable than input delay netcode which is what kof13 is

input delay netcode makes their shitty connection that much more apparent, which means you have to stay within a reasonable distance relative to your region to even have good matches assuming both you and your opponent have strong connections, and have everything configured properly

I'm aware of that Art, as I play on GGPO every so often (less so these days because I got my laptop and I don't feel like turning on my desktop computer for the SOLE purpose of playing on GGPO).  The problem is I have absolutely no faith in any company to actually implement GGPO well enough to make that a reality.

My biggest worry in all of this is that I think that honestly, half the people who will play this game will proclaim the netcode as good JUST because it's not a Capcom game.

I mean, look at the comparison to the UMvC3 Netcode and its reactions.  Took NO time for people to call it shitty and proclaim it the worst thing ever, but with this game, people want to see something that isn't there.

The fact that the ONLY nice thing I can say about the game's netcode is that it's not as bad as 02UM is not a good thing at all.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

DeFrank

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
I know I'm new to the game, but im very lag sensitive, and can tell input delay right away. practiced in training mode for hours to get used to the feel of the game offline before i jumped in and saw how it was.

It's not overdramatized dude, if kof13 doesnt get a patch i cant really see ppl playin on it. its not even sf4 quality.... a few other 4 bar connecitons randomly in ranked. 3 bar is shit most of the time, i have gotten a few playable 3 bar connections but its very rare.

This pretty much echoes my experience thus far with online. I'm staying optimistic for now that SNK will get things worked out but if it continues for too long it'll get ebayed. There's only about 2 people locally that will even consider playing it and they are horrrrible. :/ So their interest in waning pretty quickly.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
I played MOTW a lot on GGPO and i can't bear connections over 70-80ms of ping, how can you call this playable?
Btw the input lag isn't the same kind of technologies as SF4? Wasn't it good enough to be playable online?
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
I played MOTW a lot on GGPO and i can't bear connections over 70-80ms of ping, how can you call this playable?
Btw the input lag isn't the same kind of technologies as SF4? Wasn't it good enough to be playable online?

SF4 was bare minimum of playability, and that was only due to the speed of the game itself, and the fact that it was slightly more reliable to actually find good connections.

Anything below that, which as of now XIII is, is unacceptable.

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »
SSF4 gives something close to 4 or 5 frames of delay with 140-150ms, something pretty good. I'm supposing this game has a similar behavior.

arstal

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
Honestly, I'm disappointed in the netcode, but not so disappointed as to reject the game, at least for now.
I like the game despite feeling some lag while playing 3 bars.  

SNK did better, but they should have done a lot better.

Sabin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »

when i say playable i dont mean offline quality. enough to learn per se and of course it rolls back but its def acceptable. i even have od ass matches of me playing top japanese payers on ST (in GGPO) and they are all landing their 1f links no problem and reversal timing without a problem.

ST - Sabin (USA) v Kuro Not Komoda (JPN) - GGPO
brief example of a old st match from 2008-2009? you cant see the delay and i was playing on pad at the time but theres no way he can land as many 1f links as he did if the netcode was truly that shitty.

my point is, with input delay netcode (which is what 13 has) that these kind of matches would never be possible at all.

KOF13 has the same tech as sf4 when it comes to input delay but right now it's not on par with SF4's. It's barely acceptable for most people

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
As always, nothing better than to do things yourself. I will have the game by December 7.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Honestly, I'm disappointed in the netcode, but not so disappointed as to reject the game, at least for now.
I like the game despite feeling some lag while playing 3 bars.  

SNK did better, but they should have done a lot better.

And while most of us won't abandon the game, I did warn SNKP, they had to do a LOT better to stay alive.  Another meh netcode, and another KOF probably won't happen or at least wouldn't be embraced anymore.

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
Won't happen? Nah, the game's marvelous and I have people to play it face to face.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
Sabin comes in lol

Oh right, thanks for explaining to me.

Cheers mate.