Author Topic: Mr. Karate  (Read 66132 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Mr. Karate
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:19 AM »
Notation
;a = Light Punch
;b = Light Kick
;c = Strong Punch
;d = Strong Kick

* = EX version possible

Throws
Ippon Seoi - ;bk / ;fd + ;c/ ;d

Command List
Seiken Sandan Tsuki - ;fd + ;a

Sokutou-geri - ;fd + ;b

Special Attacks
Ko'ou-ken - ;qcf + ;a / ;c *
  ∟ Step - ;fd ;fd after ;c ver Ko'ou-ken

Kohou - ;fd;dn;df + ;c *
  ∟ Break - A+B after first hit

Shorankyaku - ;hcb + ;b / ;d *

Hakyokujin - ;qcb + ;a / ;c *

Zanretsuken - ;fd ;bk ;fd + ;a / ;c *

Hi'en Shippukyaku = ;hcf + ;b / ;d (air only) *

Desperation Moves
Haoh Shikouken - ;fd ;hcf + ;a/ ;c

Ryuuko Ranbu - ;qcf ;hcb + ;a / ;c *

Kyokugen Kohou - ;qcf ;qcf + ;b / ;d

Neomax
Kishin Sanga Geki - ;qcb ;hcf + ;a ;c

EX Mr. Karate's wiki entry.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:45:59 AM by Malik »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: EX Mr. Karate
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:13:48 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
Reserved

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:14:48 AM »
Post has been updated 2 times. Make sure to Take note of them!
Impressions from the Combo Video shown by Atlus:

The King of Fighters XIII: Mr. KARATE Console Combo Showcase

He's quite the different character than normal Takuma, that's for sure. Especially with how fireball-spam online players make regular Takuma. I love how much Marco he has. We can tell from the combo vid that he appears to have 2 versions of air Hien Shippukyaku, one that aims downwards, the other that moves straight. The EX version appears to be 2 hits. This might make HienSK a good followup to jump-ins, much like how Hwa Jai or Yuri's hopping A into Divekick work now.

The Invisible Ko'ou ken was shown at a specific distance. Maybe he doesn't have a full screen variety, forcing him to fight at a mid-range distance to use his projectiles? The EX Version seemed to have a LONG startup, and seems made for juggles, but not for projectile wars. The specific ability to move in after the HP version seems to suggest that his projectile is more for self-movement pressure, rather than keep-away.

His Counter has no built-in attack afterwards, it seems. This is probably to help him work with his lack of projectile-deadening options VS normal Takuma. If it's like Marco, one strength  is for high attacks, the other is for low ones.

His Zanretsuken is the old AoF "raising" type, rather than new Takuma's "stick and crumple" variation. Looks like it potentially leads to a free followup at midscreen, one that's probably heavily scaled.

He has a new command normal that we didn't see used in any of these combos, apparently a 3 hit multi punch (sounds like Marco again, as he had a f+C multi hit punch too.)

Also... did we see him link Stand D into Stand C to HD start and continue? That's pretty cool. That would give him 2 standing hard normals into Command normal into special for a BnB after jump-ins? Or maybe it functions like a chain combo, of the normals would leave them too far away for too many followups? Hmmm..

I hope his Kohou break is as easy as Andy's is in this game, and not strict like Marcos. This, plus the aerial HienSK, should give him nice, meterless mid-screen options.

Ahhh, and the return of Shorankyaku! Can he drive cancel this like many other grapples gained on home console? Are the EX or Weak kick versions Instant command grabs? Can he combo into it? I'm very much looking forward to seeing what kind of utility he gets out of this.

His Ranbu seems to start up slower than normal Takuma's. So probably not as good a reversal, forcing you to use counters and DP more, perhaps? The EX version seems to do very generous damage though.

His new DP DM is probably his powered reversal of choice. Current Takuma SERIOUSLY lacks in normal AAs, this Karate has plenty. 2 levels of grounded hits will make it pretty easy to cancel too, which will be helpful.

And lastly, his Neomax. It seems to get scaled pretty badly by preceeding hits, but seems to have decent utility. Current Takuma gets a very expensive, but extremly powerful Anti-air with his, This Takuma gets an easy way to tack damage onto his combos from just about anywhere he sets you up into. While it might lack in character animation, the Chi (Shouldn't really be... actual Fire, right? Just energy) Does take on an exaggerated zoom of the sprites animation, and acts out the whole "Upward arm of destruction, Downward strike of fury!" motion he goes through, which is actually more than I expected. It's actually quite cool. Better than the 2 frame "In energy" image I thought was shown in the leaked preview.

While I like the other 2 DLC guys, this is the one who I actually might make a real team for. He's like a fan-letter to the various representations of Kyokugen over the years, all rolled into 1 character. Looking forward to using him!

Anyone else notice anything about him, or have any thoughts on how he'll work?

UPDATE: Dandy J dropped some knowledge on Karate on Neogaf:

some things about mr karate -

- his D not only allows him to link stuff (takumas can be linked from too but its tighter), but its a bit faster. this move is a good anti air actually so thats a nice property.

- jab dp (and ex) are invincible, C is not, and C is the only version that is brakeable. it is easy to brake but still very punishable on block when braked.

- his level 2 being the ranbu is really useful, just for combos and utility in general. its invicnble as youd expect. does 367 damage iirc. empty cancel qcf+P into this is pretty nice, if it hits ground or air the super hits but doesnt cancel on whiff of course.

- never tested the safety on tk air kicks. the D dive one is definitely punishable if not spaced. havent checked to see if you can do them from a backdash, sorry.

- all his ground normals (excluding command normals) are jump cancelable on hit (not block). this leads to starters like close c xx jump ~ tk flying kicks etc. pretty wacky.

- the ex running knee grab thing makes him disappear near the middle of the running animation, granting some invincibility and also tracks/travels full screen. it can even turn around if the opponent switches sides before he reappears (lol). neither version can be drive canceled into air flying kicks from what ive tested.

- the counter is pretty good. i forget if you even have to choose the height, you might not have to. basically you go into the pose, and if something makes contact (even a projectile), youll go into a short uncancelable invincible dash. after the dash there is no recovery, you can block or perform any action. so the opponent would be able to possibly have meaty move out but you can still block or even dp/super through it. i forget what ex counter does it might crumple?

- ex qcf+P is instant guard break. another one i havent tested much but i think there is nothing guaranteed normally, but you should be able to super cancel on block for a guaranteed super.

overall he is a really fun character

This is pretty interesting!

Update 2:

First off, SNKP Uploaded a new Video showing off his moves. This shows the EX version of a few of them, and gets into more detail on his air Hienshippukyaku.

Mr.カラテ技紹介

Next, Dandy J added more notes to his Karate info from the other day:
Quote from: Dandy J;33668087
some more mr karate stuff -

- none of his flying kicks are really safe. if you space them, you can probably avoid being punished, but off tk at any height, off backdash, etc, they are always significant disadvantage, and if you are anywhere in close C range you are getting punished for sure.

- counter doesnt work vs low moves, A and C version seem the same. ex also doesnt work vs lows. for ex he does the marco upward parry motion thing from garou and it crumples.

- his far c is whiff cancelable, while takumas is not, very useful. qcf+p also gains meter on whiff
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:14:18 PM by SAB-CA »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »
コンボ動画『Mr.カラテ』

This is a combo video showing that Mr. Karate is one scary, painful SOB.

『Mr.カラテ』紹介動画

Here's a video showing off his move properties...and it shows that his NeoMax is a LOT faster than it fucking looks.

『Mr.カラテ』対戦動画

And here's a video of Mr. Karate just beating the shit out of his children and himself at the end.

What have we learned from these videos?  He hurts, he has really douchey crossup setups...and DON'T THROW A FIREBALL AT HIM, EVER.  You will regret it because either A) He used a normal counter and now he's in your grill for free which means pain for you, B) He used his EX counter which means you just got chopped the fuck out of from somewhere in the sky...and he's in your grill, or C) he used EX Ranbu, which means you're really hurting, and if you're in the corner, he still has Oki on you.

DON'T THROW A FB AT HIM, DON'T DO IT, you will regret it.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:25 AM »
You guys know how much I hate fireball characters, so he's definitely going to be my first or second easily.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:27 AM »
You guys know how much I hate fireball characters, so he's definitely going to be my first or second easily.

He's also somewhat technical with TK's, jump cancels and the such...think you can handle that?

Anyway, release date if we didn't already know, January 10th, so two weeks.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:30:33 AM by Saitsuofleaves »
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »
He honestly looks fairly easy to use. Not super easy, but I would say Takuma is a much more technical character (perhaps the most technical in 13) due to his tight Grab links into Charge Kick.

Mr. Karate all but destroys fireball zoning.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 12:09:31 AM »
January 10 is my birthday! =D

(Sucks I don´t have the game...  :()

A question: On some of the vids featuring him I have seen that his air Hien works like a dive kick sometimes and other times he travels straight. How do you make him do that?

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »

A question: On some of the vids featuring him I have seen that his air Hien works like a dive kick sometimes and other times he travels straight. How do you make him do that?

Probably the same way Hwa Jai does it.  B for Dive Kick, D for straight ahead.

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 06:43:43 AM »
Forgot to mention this. Although Robert is cracking jokes all throughout the moves vid, on the koho > NM section:

Ryo - you can use weak koho early to put the opponent in a juggleable state and follow up with the NeoMax as they fall
Robert - what the!? That's like a shoryu~metsu..
Ryo - what the heck is a shoryu~metsu?
Robert - Err...maybe best not to get into that...

lol - nice one SNK :)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
He honestly looks fairly easy to use. Not super easy, but I would say Takuma is a much more technical character (perhaps the most technical in 13) due to his tight Grab links into Charge Kick.

Chin and Ash spits on you.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »

Chin and Ash spits on you.

Have to say Anchor Ash.  Have to be specific.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 12:16:22 AM »

Probably the same way Hwa Jai does it.  B for Dive Kick, D for straight ahead.

I thought B was one kick, D was two kicks...

Guess we'll find out on MY BIRTHDAY! =P

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
Hey, it was guessing...I don't wanna diagnose Mr. Karate.