Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186594 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #540 on: October 25, 2012, 10:13:33 PM »

Really?  What's fundamentally different about 02UM and 13 other than no autodash on BC activation and less of a juggle system? 

I would say is that in 02UM, you can get away with just poking and smaller bread-n-butter combos, while I feel with KOFXIII, longer, more damaging combos are encouraged to learn. Plus, in 02UM, it's harder to do BC combos off of a low (some characters can) while in KOFXIII, a low attack can mean death if they have enough meters.

I also feel that in 02UM the hitboxes on characters normals seem a bit larger and the space between characters is a better tighter, which brings upon a more intense ground game than KOFXIII.

Another reason why 02UM is different than XIII is because there aren't any crazy EX moves in 02UM. Lots of the EX moves in XIII feel much more faster start-up wise (and some have a bit of invincibility) than any reversals that are in 02UM. So I feel that you are forced to block on defense or on wake-up more rather than rely on EX moves to possibly save you..

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have good netplay these days, your game is not going to last.

What about games that already has good netplay that aren't featured in many (or any) regional or national tournaments in the USA or have strong regional scenes? Like Arcana Heart 3, VF5:FS, BB, etc?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 25, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
My comment was partly troll and partly truth. Community-wise nothing is going on. There is no hype for this game. There's very few local scenes. What Atlus did by getting the game on PSPlus is a nice gesture but it doesn't get around net code issues. Very few tournaments still run the game. And nothing is going on with the forums. No one's talking about anything. No strategies, no nothing but for the occasional blip on the radar. There is tension and anger and angst in the air. It's like a post-apocalyptic film.

SNKP needs to announce something soon regarding their Fighting Game Division.

The game ain't dead by a long shot, but it blows my mind that SNK can't possibly ride the wave of recent interest in KOF to do a revision, a sequel or another game entirely.

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have good netplay these days, your game is not going to last. Players are the life blood of the scene, people don't always have the money to go to tournaments in a bad economy and arcades aren't as plentiful as they were before. We can't just keep hammering the same dumb points over and over. This is a problem and it's going to continue to be a problem until they do something about it. As it stands though, SNK seems more interested in making endless strings of shitty Pachinko games and running their IPs into the ground than doing anything substantial. If this is how it's going to end, I'm sad to see them go out with a drawn out wimper.

Calm down, man.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
im probably wrong on this but i think the only reason AH3 never caught on here was because it was poorly advertised and probably because it's a niche title in a niche genre

with VF im guessing it's having to play keep up with tekken

and i really cant say what happend to blazblue maybe all the updates killed it

JennyCage

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • I see a red door and I want it painted black.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 25, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »

Really?  What's fundamentally different about 02UM and 13 other than no autodash on BC activation and less of a juggle system? 

I would say is that in 02UM, you can get away with just poking and smaller bread-n-butter combos, while I feel with KOFXIII, longer, more damaging combos are encouraged to learn. Plus, in 02UM, it's harder to do BC combos off of a low (some characters can) while in KOFXIII, a low attack can mean death if they have enough meters.

I also feel that in 02UM the hitboxes on characters normals seem a bit larger and the space between characters is a better tighter, which brings upon a more intense ground game than KOFXIII.

Another reason why 02UM is different than XIII is because there aren't any crazy EX moves in 02UM. Lots of the EX moves in XIII feel much more faster start-up wise (and some have a bit of invincibility) than any reversals that are in 02UM. So I feel that you are forced to block on defense or on wake-up more rather than rely on EX moves to possibly save you...

I'm not arguing that there aren't differences, I'm arguing that the core fundamentals of KOF are the same in 02/UM as XIII.  The starkest difference imo is the lack of AB cancel off confirms.  I could see that being useful in 13.

The short stages, giant hitoxes and small healthbars... to me, those things only serve to cut down on the length of matches.  You end up with bullshit like Billy where his pokes cover 90% of the screen, or dying in a few short bnbs with a super cancel at the end.  The smaller hitboxes just means you have to space more carefully and take more risks when going in deep.  The poke game is still absolutely there.  Maybe it's an apples and oranges thing.  It takes a little longer to corner the opponent, but once they're there it's the same game.  EX moves only diversify what's possible, adding depth to the gameplay does not make something less hardcore.  All EX reversals can be baited and punished.

Arguing that 13 is not as "hardcore" as 02UM just seems silly to me.  Again, nothing in 13 holds your hand, and there is definitely less bullshit in 13 than 02, meaning you can't hurdur your way to victory with Angel infinites and Choi shenanigans.  Fundamentally (with a few small differences), 13 is still pure KOF.
Kick, punch, it's all in the method. Not mother approved but totally kid tested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCPTb9h2V5s

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
im probably wrong on this but i think the only reason AH3 never caught on here was because it was poorly advertised and probably because it's a niche title in a niche genre

That too but for me I cant stand watching 10 years old lolitas fight each other no matter how good the gameplay is. Plus backgrounds and sprites look really simplistic to me. I know it is a niche title but it never caught my eye.

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »
Then how the fuck are they suppose to make money for these plethora of games you magically want?
You're telling me that they are sitting on mountain of wealth just to make pachinko right?

Tell me when snkp is going to fire all the programmers who where dedicated enough to work on kof 12 and 13, Yeah why not waste their effort by firing them because Pachinko is the end all business

Why not sell their fucking IP's since to you they are throwing in the towel

Better yet why don't they go out of business since they are not doing anything worth while, Im sure it will be a better day tomorrow

SNKP will never be the company you want them to be. I have my doubt too and I still do. But I am cautiously optimistic that they are working on something, why waste 5 years of blood and sweat of people who also had high hope for their work and effort, they are practically the backbone to snkp without them snkp has no business making games, until I hear they were all fired I'll wait and see

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »

That too but for me I cant stand watching 10 years old lolitas fight each other no matter how good the gameplay is. Plus backgrounds and sprites look really simplistic to me. I know it is a niche title but it never caught my eye.
each his own i guess

SPLIPH

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »

part of it was that Extend didnt offer enough to the game, and that the balance update wasnt good enough. its like they just draw names out of a hat when its time to rebalance. some even think good online keeps offline scenes for niche fighters from lasting long term. even though without the good online there probly wouldnt have been much of one to begin with. "people dont want to drive out to play when they can just stay home and play online".

i think thered still be a bigger offline community if there was better online play, but do you guys think current players would make much less effort to play KoF offline if they could just get something smooth going online whenever they wanted?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:23 AM »
^ Personally no. If the online was smooth in XIII it would still not be perfect, no game is, and considering how harsh the game is on mistakes, I doubt the offline would be much different. If anything it might get bigger since it might attract more online players if the players could get decent practice online then play offline to test how good they are locally or nationally even.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 26, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
Then how the fuck are they suppose to make money for these plethora of games you magically want?
You're telling me that they are sitting on mountain of wealth just to make pachinko right?

Tell me when snkp is going to fire all the programmers who where dedicated enough to work on kof 12 and 13, Yeah why not waste their effort by firing them because Pachinko is the end all business

Why not sell their fucking IP's since to you they are throwing in the towel

Better yet why don't they go out of business since they are not doing anything worth while, Im sure it will be a better day tomorrow

SNKP will never be the company you want them to be. I have my doubt too and I still do. But I am cautiously optimistic that they are working on something, why waste 5 years of blood and sweat of people who also had high hope for their work and effort, they are practically the backbone to snkp without them snkp has no business making games, until I hear they were all fired I'll wait and see

People dont want a new game or an XIII update tomorrow. It is just that SNKp does 0 support on XIII. Atlus is doing good job by promoting the game in the US while SNKp didn't do a single tourney in Japan since XIII is out. Even if they are working on something they should throw a small bone out there to keep the community warm. They don't have to give giant prizes or something. Just act like they care.

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
People do want a new game or an update, we talked about it on this forum countless of times, I'm sure we are not the only ones
SNKP did support kof xiii by release climax so arcade players can play the console version
SNKP answered and made videos on questions people ask them after the release of the console version
SNKP made an updated ver of the ios KOF XIII and its also support on the android
They never throw us a bone in 2010 before kof xiii arcade was first announce, I did not know they were going to make another kof game after 12, why would it be different this time
I don't think SNKP does not care about about kof xiii, they've done so much for this game than any of their games in the past, you're wrong to imply that they haven't, so they dont do things like capcom, namco, sega, and arc sys like have tournaments for their game, I'm sure if snkp has their own reason for not holding a tournament
I'm not making excuses for snkp, they've made plenty dumb descision 
Just to make it clear I do have my doubt about them and will continue too until something drastically change internal because I don't want a repeat of this generation
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:28:32 PM by Ashspiralingblood »

VinnAleixoFM

• Strongest Tiger
  • Secador Oficial do Wong
    • View Profile
    • Portal Versus
« Reply #551 on: October 26, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
At least in US Side, Atlus USA (KOF13 publisher) is sponsoring/supporting some KOF13 events.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 26, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »
I don't think you guys realize how broke SNK is, they even moved their website to a free host of some kind iirc and their vids are hosted on youtube. They are cutting corners as much as they can.

Regardless, SNK holding a tournament or two in Japan for XIII wouldn't make any difference. People either play the game or they don't.

If they don't then that doesn't reflect on the quality of the game, 3rd Strike flopped hard back when it was released but picked up later on and is heavily played there to this day.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:12:57 PM by Diavle »

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
If you have facebook you can vote in which game you want to see in EVO. It's not really a true poll to determine to decide the game. KOF XIII is number 1 in the poll

https://www.facebook.com/questions/10151203340569383/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evolution-Championship-Series/156605564382

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 26, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
I don't think you guys realize how broke SNK is, they even moved their website to a free host of some kind iirc and their vids are hosted on youtube. They are cutting corners as much as they can.

Regardless, SNK holding a tournament or two in Japan for XIII wouldn't make any difference. People either play the game or they don't.

If they don't then that doesn't reflect on the quality of the game, 3rd Strike flopped hard back when it was released but picked up later on and is heavily played there to this day.

All that was known way before KOF XIII was out on console.

The truth is that nobody here really knows anything.