Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 548133 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #615 on: October 08, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
Have you ever played a game in a tourney with a cash prize or a money match? What I'm saying is these pros are playing with their money on the line so they don't give a fuck about whom thinks they aren't a good player because they resort to play top-tier or using broken/dirty tactics. You gotta do what you gotta do to win, who care what people think, especially when you have your hard earned money on the line.

Valid point.  What if hard-earned money wasn't on the line, at least not hundreds or thousands, what if it was just a quarter, would you still need this everything goes mentality among friends in a casual match? EDIT: Added the casual scenario--I think it depicts how I feel much more clearly.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:51:38 PM by Kane317 »

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #616 on: October 08, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
I never understood why a pro uses tiers that are broken or dirty things like infinites to win. It's not about honor, it's about being a good player or not.

Have you ever played a game in a tourney with a cash prize or a money match? What I'm saying is these pros are playing with their money on the line so they don't give a fuck about whom thinks they aren't a good player because they resort to play top-tier or using broken/dirty tactics. You gotta do what you gotta do to win, who care what people think, especially when you have your hard earned money on the line.

Then I'm not interested at all with pro scene and its players. I guess I was just idealizing pro players.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
A lot of the time you play to win, if the top tiers are your best characters you had to pick them. If you play in a tournament you need to use the ones which will earn you the spot to win.

For casual matches you can use all the other characters for fun. At least I always saw it like that, and sometimes there are guys who don't need to use broken characters to win, at least sometimes they appear

The only time when I hate top tier abuse are casuals, but again, is their decission to use those characters, and I need to beat them using the tools that I had, so after a while, isn't terrible, I got a friend who ALWAYS use Krauser in 98UM and after a while I found it cool because now I know better how to beat him

Waifu Material

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 08, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
Case and point.  One of the regulars here recently mastered Mature's infinite--you don't know how quickly unpopular he is now among his closest friends.  Whereas, Reynald, who destroys the competition with his Yuri and Vice is still very much respected still.

I guess it's very subjective, but that's how I personally see it over here--I don't speak for everyone though.

you mean ramond(romance)?well we dont hate the fact that hes using mature if thats what you mean.he can use any character for all i care.jaja although i think hes gonna be heartbroken when he hears that mature's infinite is gone.but we certainly respect each other.

Fixed it for you.  Yes I meant Romance, but I know nobody hates him or anything--we're all friends.  I know that people have expressed they are bothered by the fact that he's using Mature's infinite repeatedly (in casual matches).

reynald has a unique style in my opinion,i really like the way he uses every hit and move each character has.he mixes everything the character has to offer and this makes him unpredictable.

He definitely does, I think everyone is in agreement about how good he is.  His ability to pick up new characters is pretty amazing.

hey the other day you got me thinking about the question you asked...whos the best out of all of us.well to be honest no one is the best.jaja you see,its like a cycle.if i come in and beat chris,then realkim comes in and beats me,then ramond comes in and beats kim.right now ramond is the one that has practiced the most out of all of us and i think thats why he's more competitive.but eventually when the game comes out on console then the team will balance out and the cycle will start again.

Ahh, I see.  That cycle thing is so true, some people play against certain styles better etc.  Romance to me, has improved the most.

A lot of the time you play to win, if the top tiers are your best characters you had to pick them. If you play in a tournament you need to use the ones which will earn you the spot to win.

For casual matches you can use all the other characters for fun. At least I always saw it like that, and sometimes there are guys who don't need to use broken characters to win, at least sometimes they appear

I think that's a really good point that you bring up.  In casual matches--the use of infinites, when you're a skilled player, and among friends; it's a little uncalled for for my taste.  

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem losing (I lose all the time, just ask the guys lol) and it's not bothering me to the point where I would quit, coz if it did I would--but it doesn't.  It's just a preference.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:00:50 PM by Kane317 »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 08, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
you know, in a casual match, if somebod did the infinite on me, id accidentally hit the motherfucker.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »

Valid point.  What if hard-earned money wasn't on the line, at least not hundreds or thousands, what if it was just a quarter, would you still need this everything goes mentality among friends in a casual match? EDIT: Added the casual scenario--I think it depicts how I feel much more clearly.
Yeah I would because I like to win no matter the situation.

you know, in a casual match, if somebod did the infinite on me, id accidentally hit the motherfucker.
Ah calm & well thought actions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:09:03 PM by Zabel »

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

and thats why i enjoy reading Musolini's posts sometimes...

Regardless of people's opinions. The infinites are gone and the bugs are fixed so id hope to see a small increase of Vice/Hwa Jai/Ralf players that won't be afraid to experiment since they don't have to worry about breaking the game.

As far as always playing to win in casual/tourney situations. I don't know i always tend to gravitate towards my personal style, regardless of tier lists. Having respect for your opponent is much appreciated especially in casuals cause if someone is always trying to do everything to win, then the atmosphere becomes MUCH more hostile and it can really kill the mood for a lot of players.

I know it effects me a few times since that happened quite a bit when i got to play KOFXIII against this not so good player (but he had impecible projectile traps whether he knew it or not)which was eating away at my quarters and time since i couldn't just relax and pratice new characters. I ended up picking Kyo and OCVing him but it overall just dampened the experience a lot, which is the main thing you shouldn't do in casuals. If u can't enjoy yourself why you're playing, then why play. I bet thats the mentalities of quite a few people who have tried KOF in the past and got straight rocked mercilessly.

Well that was a long ass ramble. anyway, good show SNK, announce a console port already, and looking forward to the next tourney from AI

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »
Well if they don't tone down K and raiden KOF online will end up like SF. 90% of the games being VS Ryu, Guile.

Guys I'll ask for a big favor. Now that the bugs are gone can someone please main VIce? She is my favorite character and there are almost no video's with footage :(

Gorehound

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
I remember facing that Romance player one early afternoon. I went there early to see if I could get in some practice on a different character and he was on the machine. I faced him ready for some KOF comp and he was constantly doing that infinite on me on all the matches. I left after a few matches and played SSF4. He also did it to another player and that player left after one match.

It kinda reminded of me of the Killer Instinct days when everyone picked Eyedol and Cinder and constantly doing infinites.

Yeah I agree, pick your best and do your worst during a tourney, but for casual matches, lets just have some fun.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:42:07 PM by Gorehound »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 08, 2010, 11:14:14 PM »
Now that the bugs are gone can someone please main VIce? She is my favorite character and there are almost no video's with footage :(

Watch the last batch we put out, Vice is in a lot of those clips as it's a permanent character in Reynald's team.

Cronopio

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 09, 2010, 12:40:06 AM »
No, HD implementation was a good decision on SNK's part. Comeback mechanics are a must in fighters imo.

Outplaying the opponent is the best comeback mechanic there is. No need for 15 second long juggles.

The patch is a bit underwhelming. Actually, I think it'll make the game worse. Yeah, the gamebreaking bugfixes are nice. But removing Joe's infinite without giving him anything in return sucks, and removing the meterless EX moves for Takuma and Goro is a terrible decision. They weren't even god tier like K and co., why nerf something that doesn't need nerfing?

Game needs more style variety,  defensive characters / runaway / zoners especially need buffs so we don't see everyone playing the same.

And if we have a new set of top tiers, who cares? There will be more viable characters and that's all that matters. For example, GGAC and ST have clear tier differences but since pretty much everyone has some beastly bullshit most characters are viable. SNK needs to follow that philosophy with any new patches they release.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 09, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
Outplaying the opponent is the best comeback mechanic there is. No need for 15 second long juggles.

No its a must, aside from resulting in closer matches and making things more exciting, stuff like this is also a huge crowd pleaser. SNK knew this and that's why they went with such mechanics, same with the adding of the neomaxes. They are supposed to make ppl go "Oh shi...". Clearly they are successors to BC mode and HSDMs but at the same time SNK made sure to make them easier and more useful to employ.

Actually, I think it'll make the game worse. Yeah, the gamebreaking bugfixes are nice. But removing Joe's infinite without giving him anything in return sucks, and removing the meterless EX moves for Takuma and Goro is a terrible decision. They weren't even god tier like K and co., why nerf something that doesn't need nerfing?

I do feel kinda bad for you, you were probably really looking forward to those bugs/infinites.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:25:11 AM by Diavle »

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 09, 2010, 01:23:40 AM »
You mean like Crapcom and how everyone used Sagat in Vanilla 4 or how everyone moved to Guile and Dictator for Super 4 after abandoning Sagat like a sinking ship when he didn't have bullshit as his advantage?

Cronopio

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 09, 2010, 01:37:44 AM »
No its a must, aside from resulting in closer matches and making things more exciting, stuff like this is also a huge crowd pleaser. SNK knew this and that's why they went with such mechanics, same with the adding of the neomaxes. They are supposed to make ppl go "Oh shi...". Clearly they are successors to BC mode and HSDMs but at the same time SNK made sure to make them easier and more useful to employ.

Matches need to be as close as the skill of each player. Giving "comeback mechanics" to make comebacks easier is dumb. CCs were fine as they were in 2k2, where they were another tool among others. HDs in XIII are not just another tool among others, they are a central part of the game, which is a bad thing.

If you want to make comebacks even easier and crowd pleasing, why not add shoryu xx HD cancel -> Neomax, too?

I do feel kinda bad for you, you were probably really looking forward to those bugs/infinites.

Fixing bugs for the sake of fixing bugs is dumb. They only need to be fixed if:

- they break the game
- are extremely easy to perform AND make the character overpowered

That's why removing Mature's infinite is not that bad, yet removing Joe's and giving nothing to him in return is bad. Or removing Takuma's and Daimon's EX glitches.

You mean like Crapcom and how everyone used Sagat in Vanilla 4 or how everyone moved to Guile and Dictator for Super 4 after abandoning Sagat like a sinking ship when he didn't have bullshit as his advantage?

Capcom just made everyone weak and boring in SSFIV. I want something like GGAC, which is of course far from perfectly balanced but you see great character variety because almost every character is strong as fuck, even the low tiers.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 09, 2010, 02:07:15 AM »
If you want to make comebacks even easier and crowd pleasing, why not add shoryu xx HD cancel -> Neomax, too?

MOTW already has that covered so thanks but no thanks.

Fixing bugs for the sake of fixing bugs is dumb.