Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 548170 times)

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #930 on: November 05, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
More on-topic, I've heard 2002UM's netcode is a step back from NGBC, but I've also heard that it utilizes roll-back. Did NGBC also do that and I just missed the memo? Is this the first SNK game to use roll-back?

Elaborate on this roll-back please.  Is this a coding term?
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that:

Traditional netcode uses lag in order to solve the problem of slow connections. For many genres, this creates the most seamless gameplay experience.

For fighters, it obviously creates a lot of problems. GGPO's big innovation was to replace lag with "roll-back." So if a connection speed suddenly drops, the game simply pauses, or even goes back (i.e. rolls back) to a moment when the players' were synched up. It can be a bit jarring, but typically lasts only a second or so.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about it will come along to correct any mistakes I've made.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 06, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »
To my understanding, that's how it even came about.  The Answer can elaborate about the story, but basically the-someone-who-knew-someone-who-knew-someone etc., got a hold of SNKP, and basically they asked if they could get a spot in SoCaRegionals and asked specifically if the AI guys could show up.  This isn't to take anything away from the Oni-Con guys, but one would assume, that SNKP wasn't too happen with those matches.   I dunno though, just my humble opinion.

Thats pretty interesting, kind of a you scratch my back I scratch yours deal. I'm sure they won't be disappointed this time, best of luck man.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 06, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »
To my understanding, that's how it even came about.  The Answer can elaborate about the story, but basically the-someone-who-knew-someone-who-knew-someone etc., got a hold of SNKP, and basically they asked if they could get a spot in SoCaRegionals and asked specifically if the AI guys could show up.  This isn't to take anything away from the Oni-Con guys, but one would assume, that SNKP wasn't too happen with those matches.   I dunno though, just my humble opinion.

Thats pretty interesting, kind of a you scratch my back I scratch yours deal. I'm sure they won't be disappointed this time, best of luck man.

Honestly, we're all more excited about the secondary effects (the rapport building between player and company) than the tournament/prizes.  We're crossing our fingers they seed the matches correctly or the top 4 matches could be very uneventful, defeating the purpose of the whole exposure.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 06, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
Honestly, we're all more excited about the secondary effects (the rapport building between player and company) than the tournament/prizes.  We're crossing our fingers they seed the matches correctly or the top 4 matches could be very uneventful, defeating the purpose of the whole exposure.

Glad to here that. Can't have control over the seeding but can over the matches, do what you can to win and get into the top 4 and from that point try to play for fun because that's when the good stuff happens (since playing to win means taking less risks etc). As long as players like Reynald, Mr. KOF, you, that King player, the Kim player (Yoshi?) etc can make it in I'm sure good stuff is gonna happen.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:55:06 PM by Diavle »

Majestic12

« Reply #934 on: November 06, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
Someone knows when the kofxiii tournament begin at socal (and timezone plz)? Can't find a hour anywhere...

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 06, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
5 pacific time. But don't know what time they'll be streaming since only top 4 will be shown, so probably a little bit later
" you fight well in the old style"

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 07, 2010, 04:23:14 AM »
Only the top 4 will be streamed. The finals for most of the games besides SF4 will start at 8pm PST. Not sure which order they're gonna host the games though.

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 07, 2010, 04:36:32 AM »
Stream up soon, according to The Answer.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 07, 2010, 05:05:03 AM »
http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/leveluplive

The vid is just a static pic right now but you can already hear XIII in the background (game sounds and Iori's theme etc), it'll prolly go live in a few min. Could be wrong but I think I just heard Kane laugh in the bg as well.

Edit: getting some direct feed sound now.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:09:12 AM by Diavle »

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 07, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »
we are being fucking trolled right now

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 07, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »
I know they were having issues with the video output earlier today and even went to pick on vga/hdmi converters or something. Probably the reason why there's no video, but sound only.

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 07, 2010, 05:21:07 AM »
 The Answer - "No stream sorry. Taito board being dumb."

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:15 AM »
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 07, 2010, 05:28:37 AM »
The Answer - "Webcam live stream, would you take that? Not direct feed." XTG - "FUCK YES!"
The Answer - "Then it's on baby!"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:30:31 AM by XTG »

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:27 AM »
They're gonna try to do it via a video cam instead of direct from the cab, I'm talking to them right now.