Author Topic: What is general opinion about Kof XI anyway?  (Read 39093 times)

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
Re: What is general opinion about Kof XI anyway?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 10:00:39 AM »
It's simple the best and funniest KoF around guys, that's the point. Just ruined by the ugly balance and other awful choice like some DM damage output (k' head drive and terry buster wolf for example), but it's the best.

I'm really disappointed when SNKP announced KoF XIII (the last of ash saga with 2003 and XI before) will be without new refined tag system, that really really piss me off, i think... in XI at least coz 2003 is crappy, the tag system used was gorgeous. In common team mode if u screw something, could be the end without optional choice for the poor character ingame. Instead here you can save out at least one (and if u manage well) two times to save your ass and reassemble the things, otherwise could be done huge damaging/stun combo with 1 or both meter for tag.
THIS imho, is the best thing into XI.

In my country i'm lucky enough, because i have some friend (the great average of 4, me sggk edo and filippo, with edo who lend everytime his apartment) to play with, and besides shitty play with the bad habit to jump too much -.- i guess we get quite good level, if someone wanna check there are some old video of casuals at my channel: http://www.youtube.com/M4zinkaiser leave a comment if someone like. Maybe we post more but in recent times we quit it a little, because everyone have ther things to do (works suck) and the cruel reality is "nobody" play XI for real anymore.

I trust in an XBLA/PSN new major revision =.=, they bring out 98um and 2k2um and ok, but samurai, fatal fury and neo wave and ngbc?!?! c'mon give us the fucking eleven.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »
i agree... don't know why they can't release it for psn with good netcode... i would still pay $20 for that... *and they released 99 ...really? ...who the hell plays 99?*
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

WiCKED

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
I love KoFXI <3 It was the first fighting game I ever got serious about, but it's ridiculously unbalanced (though I only ever played at the arcade). It's slick and it's got a fast rhythm. I have an easier time comboing with ANYONE in that game than I do at KoFXIII atm (it could be cause I suck though, lol). Otherwise, yeah, totally liked the tag system dynamic.

ShinKaigan

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
KOF XI was the first SNK game I really got into and is by far my favorite (Granted KOF XIII is warming up to me quite a bit). The tag system made it really fun and greatly helped pressure and mix ups while saving shift could save you from potential infinites or 100% stun combos (didn't save you from Vanessa's infinite but eh). I admit that some of the characters could have been tweaked. KGO teams all over were a testament to that but still overall a great game.

umgogo

• New Challenger
  • 時にはジェラシー
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
@ umgogo... arcade mode is the way to go... no one plays arrange mode... and there is no point in hating anywhere juggles... as it is in XIII as well... it makes combos a lot more fun...

Where I live, practically nobody plays SNK games at all, so the point is nearly moot. Also, by that logic I should switch to, say, SSFIV or perhaps World of Warcraft? ^_^

Some find Arcade more fun, and some go on about how it is the original and thus "official" version, but practically everyone agrees that Arrange is more balanced. I find Arrange more fun and definitely more balanced (which, all other things being equal, always translates to a better game in my book), and (for what little it's worth to me) I tend to view the latest update as "official", so that is the mode that I will play and advocate.

Regarding the anywhere juggle feature, I feel it is a completely unnecessary/arbitrary system which actually dumbs down the game and resembles sloppy programming more than anything else (though I am of course aware that its inclusion is intentional) - in XI, that is. Do, say, Kula and Oswald's LDMs really need to connect after anything? I think not. I prefer juggling after special "launchers" (such as Momoko's dp+D or Kensou's qcf, hcb+B/D, Quick Shift on the fourth hit), thereby increasing the value of these moves.

Most of XIII's AJ moves seem to be EX specials/EX DMs, so the AJ trait may be what gives these moves some of their "EX status" (I personally wouldn't mind if these attacks did not have "normal" versions - such as with most Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Force Breaks - though that is, admittedly, a different point of contention). These AJ's still look downright ugly to me at times, but I will reserve my "gameplay" judgement until I have played the game, or at least watched more videos of it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:14:04 PM by umgogo »
宿命を負いし想い出の守り男

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
u have seen Elizabeth in XIII right? how she can land Grand Rafale from literally anything that takes u off ur feet... i wouldn't be surprised if she can do it from just a s.C+D or cr.D...

now THAT is ugly... in a GOOD way of course... it's what makes her a scary threat with just 1 bar... oh and she can do the SAME in XI as well minus the C+D or double DP > DM...

yes of course we need some sense of balance... *XIII looks awesome in this as every character can goo NUTS* but without anywhere juggles u wouldn't have awesome stuff like Yuri's cr.D xx EX demon flip throw... or Maxima's EX command grab...

anywhere juggles is what makes all these newer KOF games more fun than the older ones... and specially in XIII it opens up new door ways for characters... watch a kof98 combo video... then watch a 2k2:UM or XI or XIII combo video... which looks better?

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

umgogo

• New Challenger
  • 時にはジェラシー
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 04:46:41 AM »
u have seen Elizabeth in XIII right? how she can land Grand Rafale from literally anything that takes u off ur feet...

Well, I have three "u"'s for you: ugly, unimaginative and unnecessary. Shouldn't the point of a fast "crouch-dash" DM be that it travels under/through certain moves or combos/juggles thanks to its speed (as opposed to being an AJ attack)? Why not allow her to perform different attacks out of the GR's dashing animation, as seen with Foxy's qcfx2+P, f+P/d+K DM? :=(

*XIII looks awesome in this as every character can goo NUTS* but without anywhere juggles u wouldn't have awesome stuff like Yuri's cr.D xx EX demon flip throw...

Blecch, sweep -> anything is the very epitome of ugly! (Ugh, CvS1 Ryu sweep -> Shin Shouryu Ken) 8) She could get the ability to connect the "Demon Flip" after a Saiha (corner/EX) or Yuri Chou Upper (Counter Hit/EX) instead, or even the Shou En (df+D "vertical split kick" from '03/XI) to juggle off of.

Now cross-up b+D, standing C, df+D, dp+C x2, Super Cancel qcfx2+K, [Dream Cancel qcf, hcb+E LDM] or [Quick Shift to Athena, qcfx2+E LDM]... there's a classy combo!

watch a kof98 combo video... then watch a 2k2:UM or XI or XIII combo video... which looks better?

What renders '98 (especially the Quick Max-less OG '98) less combo-oriented/"flashy" than its successors are not so much the anywhere juggles as the Striker/Counter Mode/Super Cancel/Max Mode/Quick Shift/Drive Cancel/Hyper Drive features. Some were well implemented, some... might not have been.

(As a footnote, I have never been a fan of Custom Combos as a subsystem available to every character - IMO, not everyone should "go nuts" in this particular  fashion - and find some of the longer XIII Hyper Drive rather corny-looking, but they may be fun to pull off.)
宿命を負いし想い出の守り男

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
ok i can't argue with you anymore on this man... you clearly have your opinion as i do mine...

i am an snk fan and i try my best to support anything to do with the original kof series... i don't care for any spin offs...

that being said i love every single thing about xiii... so far there hasn't been 1 fighting game in my entire life, where i haven't hated at least 1 character... *same goes for all older kof games* xiii amazes so much that i literally want to learn everyone *but obviously i'm gonna have to cut it down to 2-3 teams*

last but not least what you think is fair/unfair or pretty/ugly or justified/unjustified doesn't mean anything... it's just your opinion that most kof fans will disagree with... you don't decide anything for snk... only thing you can do is either like the game or dislike it... so if you do like it, it would be helpful for yourself to accept everything in the game... otherwise you won't have fun playing the game, because anyone 'good' you play will be doing exactly what you hate

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

umgogo

• New Challenger
  • 時にはジェラシー
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
i am an snk fan and i try my best to support anything to do with the original kof series... i don't care for any spin offs...

what you think is fair/unfair or pretty/ugly or justified/unjustified doesn't mean anything... it's just your opinion that most kof fans will disagree with... you don't decide anything for snk... only thing you can do is either like the game or dislike it... so if you do like it, it would be helpful for yourself to accept everything in the game... otherwise you won't have fun playing the game, because anyone 'good' you play will be doing exactly what you hate

tl;dr version: I'll agree to disagree, but don't give me that "we are the majority and SNK are on our side, so sit down and shut up" rubbish.

While I doubt that SNK listens to any of us individually, my say on what is good/justified/etc. is every bit as valid as any other experienced player's. I stated my reasons (unnecessary and dumb/ugly), you stated yours (more fun and flashy combos). Does your opinion count simply because you like feature X, but mine doesn't just because I don't like it? SNK makes games for the players to play, not for their own sake, which is probably why Arcade and Arrange mode are both included on the XI disc - to each his own.

The "majority" of the community is not infallible, either - if most people wanted Maximum Impact's Stylish Arts (long, cancellable  chain combos) or Narutimate Accel 2's near-unlimited Assist system in a "main" KOF, I wouldn't change my opinion of these (IMO broken and lame) features because "the collective knows best." As far as I know, MI has been quite successful in the West compared to anything else KOF-related, and all those Dragonball "fighters" (which make NA2 look like Virtua Fighter 5R) apparently outsell anything on the market (in Japan as well?). ^_^

For the record, I will buy XIII and spend quite some time with it (making use of its features, including AJ moves) - on the whole, it seems solid enough to me (though I hate the aesthetics and miss many XI system/characters/moves). Yet, accepting these features is not the same thing as not speaking out against them when the question is raised.
宿命を負いし想い出の守り男

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 07:17:48 AM »
XI is really fun, the inputs and combos are easy and simple but the shifting/tag gameplay aspect is kinda complex at first, but it's really fun. It's almost like a Marvel style KOF. The stages are great too.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
combos are easy unless you start learning vanessa... ot try to do Duo Lon or Ash's LDM combos... lol

@umgogo - yes both of us are right in our own opinions... and god help if original KOF gameplay becomes shitty like MI... i'll gladly quit this and rather play BB or T6...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:31:51 PM by t3h mAsTarOth...! »

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »
I'm going to presume that emulation talk is okay so long as we don't give out rom/iso links? I really dig this game, but I'm anxiously awaiting it getting supported in Demul (Atomiswave emulator) since the next release of Demul should (hopefully) contain netplay.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 12:53:48 AM »
yes... i never really had a huge taste for 98/2k2... one of the reason was i found the controls really annoying... XI by far has the best controls in any 2D FG i've ever played... and i would love it if i could play it on GGPO... and lately i'm loving Team Mode soo much more than Arcade...

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

mp3play3r

• New Challenger
  • 'Sup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »
Yep, team mode rules; btw, is this game emulated yet?
GGPO: mp3play3r
KOF'98/UM: Kyo, Vice, Iori - O. Yashiro, Mature, O. Chris
KOF2k2UM: Kyo-1, Vice, Andy -  Mature, Nameless, Iori

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
combos are easy unless you start learning vanessa... ot try to do Duo Lon or Ash's LDM combos... lol

@umgogo - yes both of us are right in our own opinions... and god help if original KOF gameplay becomes shitty like MI... i'll gladly quit this and rather play BB or T6...
I like how you call MI's gameplay shitty when it actually did good in sales, got a positive response when MIRA was released and YOU NEVER EVEN PLAYED IT.

*sigh*Here comes the fanboy response talking about how SNK has to cater to your every wish.
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo
-Benimaru(Duo Lon)/Robert/Takuma(Iori)

Might controls everything.