Author Topic: KOF XIII 4th |OT| Thread:Console countdown edition (UPDATE 10/4 1st page)  (Read 364727 times)

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 4th |OT| Thread:Console countdown edition (UPDATE 10/4 1st page)
« Reply #1305 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »
Why not an MK9-styled lobby system? Doesn't look like it has it. That GGPO-styled lobby system solved a lot of problems playing online compared to SF4. Displays a list of players available, they're rank, ping, and you're able to easily communicate with them to get a match going.

He picked QUICK MATCH, you can CUSTOM MATCH, which I assume, it will work like SSF4, in which you select some criteria and then you will get a list of players available to pick.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #1306 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
Again, no ping numbers.

This... really doesn't matter, in the end, though. The Bars are going off the same data as the numbers would. All the bars are, is a visual representation of the numbers. Such as 0-80 Ping = Green, 81-100 yellow, etc. Bars are used by cellphones, but ping numbers are often (sadly) misread, and misunderstood. There's a host of people out there that think BIG numbers are GOOD ping (Such as, if you're passing 200 bits of info a second, you must have a better connection, than the guy passing only 60, right?)

I WOULD like Ping + Bars. Would be a learning experience for many! Or just numbers that change the same colors as the bars would, to help show which numbers are good or bad. These little things would be nice, but I wonder if even "open to and doing everything!" Skullgirls will put in such options? Barely any company seems to flat out learn and expand these options, which is so weird. You THINK someone would have refined it by now, but most just deliver "workable", in the end.

Why not an MK9-styled lobby system? Doesn't look like it has it. That GGPO-styled lobby system solved a lot of problems playing online compared to SF4. Displays a list of players available, they're rank, ping, and you're able to easily communicate with them to get a match going.

I barely ever saw the lobby on MK9 work, so... that's not something I'd want replicated, lol. But otherwise, Chat lobbies and such in the MK9 way, probably would require SNKP to constantly run a server, which would be out of the question for them, I'm sure. Plus, once you put server-functions into your console games, unless you plan ways for them to work WITHOUT those functions (WHICH THEY ALL SHOULD, but often don't... which is really ridiculous...), you could be putting a lifespan on your games. Compare how Generally no Xbox games 360 from any publisher goes offline, yet EA turns games off on PS3 and XBL each year, because they force the games to run over their servers.

And note that KoF XII did have a bit of a chat lobby system. It was only between people entering the rooms though, so it didn't require any additional server side stuff, just consoles talking to consoles. I'd like for those options to come back, but I rarely saw them USED in XII... I tried to use it to greet people, or to tell people "don't enter if your ping is too low!" but people ignored it and just ran RIGHT in...

I presume bigger hitbox for Iori's df+C means he can active HD after the hcf+P throw easier, which is pretty scary.  I guess it's fair since his command throw is relatively slow compared to others, still a great option for him.

Didn't even think of the HD mode part, haha. Thought about it for Liz... blah. Another thing that makes him more well-rounded.

Japanese developers are very stubborn.  It's simple fact.  You can see it when Capcom Japan releases a game and when Capcom USA does.  When Capcom USA releases crap, you get stupid shit that makes you pissed off...but at the very least, they TRY things that fans call out (Ping Numbers in MvC2, Button Config for 3SOE), Capcom Japan does not do that.  Same old button config, same old no Ping numbers, same old crap.

I'd rather have a company come out and straight fail for trying something new than just halfass a game doing the same old crap.  I can't really say anything for SNKP because they keep changing publishers lol.  You know, but hey, as long as you're trying to actively make a difference in your game (not even so much gameplay wise, but how it functions on and offline for gamers of all types) then I can't really hate too much.

Yeah, Japan can be really stubborn, the way it seems. It's a bit annoying though, that even when the USA arms get to try something... they often don't turn out right, and those products become annoying to deal with. If it's a game you love a lot, and are willing to deal with the junk with, then wonderful. But if not, it just makes a poor game, that you'd rather have "old and working", rather than "new and busted".

SNKP at least DID try some things with XII (Lobbies, spectating, various arcade modes, random play while waiting for a game, clan / team battles...), but the online failed along with it.

Seems we have to wait for them to get "basic" right, before they start experimenting again. But at least it sounds like, from "On the Spot", that we can practice while waiting for fights here... that'll help a lot.

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 21, 2011, 07:53:55 AM »
Also on a different topic, I really wanna get into commentating.  Like I think I can provide more to it than most people who just randomly jump on the mic and just talk.  Like I want the ability for people to actually hear people call a match.  Now, when it comes to non-majors, I think people should just put up with it lol, locals are just about having fun and I can understand.  At majors though, there should not be dead spots.

As such, if I can get up to NEC, i wanna throw my  hat in the ring for commentary somehow.  If I can't get my play up to a level at which a tourney can deserve, I wanna at least contribute in some way.

Well Guard Crush this week showed that even Jaha can buckle down and do some serious commentating. As long as you're not mindlessly telling people stuff they can already see with they're own eyes or whining about the game, I'd say anyone with even a passing interest in commentating should give it a try. I mean, the fighting game philosophy is you've got to take a few failures before you get good anyway.

Hell, even I'd give it a try after a few months with the game. If I ever went to events, that is.

Good commentary I think will be very important for the early life of KOF. I first got into fighting games by watching Evo and listening to (I think) Ultradavid talking about things like spacing in SF4. It made me think "Yo, maybe I can actually play and learn this game."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:56:22 AM by Gimnbo »

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 21, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »
The online looks VERY solid; hopefully it is.

Speaking of shady sidestepping of questions, when he was asked if it would have a robust training mode with record/playback he started talking about spectator mode, tutorial mode, etc...  This makes me think that there's no  such feature :'(

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
I'm a bit confused about this
Quote from: The Professor!
Changes in game system:
- The Hitstun on normal jump attacks have been reduced. (Meaning it's harder to do combos)

Does this mean combos are harder to do or is harder your opponent get stun in a combo?
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 21, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
Well, usually you can do jump-ins with some characters and as long as you timed it right, you usually could get into a full combo. If it has less hitstun, that means you have to hit them with a deep hop attack. This means you've got a smaller window to pull off a connection after the hop and more chance for your opponent to react to your jump in.

It also means if you time it wrong, you won't get a combo from a hop-in.

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 21, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
I expect this only to effect Kyo's  jump Down+C antics, which is great.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 21, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
But they say "normal" jump attacks. Kyo's d+C would be a command jump attack.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 21, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »

It actually will effect a lot of people that depend on hop-ins like Takuma, Kula, Liz, K', Kim, Kensou, and a lot of other combo heavy characters.

It actually doesn't mean much for people with command jump moves, it only says normal jump-in attacks. People with command jump attacks like Kyo, Benimaru, Iori, Robert, and Mai might be faster and easier to connect with than others or slower. I'm betting on faster.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 21, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »
Well, usually you can do jump-ins with some characters and as long as you timed it right, you usually could get into a full combo. If it has less hitstun, that means you have to hit them with a deep hop attack. This means you've got a smaller window to pull off a connection after the hop and more chance for your opponent to react to your jump in.

It also means if you time it wrong, you won't get a combo from a hop-in.
Thank you so much. Is perfectly clear now :)
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

EDDR

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 21, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
I still would like to know what thee exact content will be on the Euro exclusive art dvd.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 21, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
i don't think i've been soo fucking hype for a fighter since the neo-geo days (93/99).

I stand in agreement!

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #1319 on: October 21, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
Re-Hosted the images of the soundtrack shown above, for convenience:

Hm. I rather like the foldout slipcase! I wonder if the Euro edition will use the same art and setup, or something different?

Also, note that the first 2 images now also appear on the Gamestop websites. Don't think Amazon has the updated pictures yet.