Author Topic: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition  (Read 362242 times)

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 5th |OT| Thread: Console Change log edition
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
i think 2.50 to 3 bucks is a reasonable asking price for a single character my problem with fighting game dlc is that everything is released in packs and say if i only used 1 out of 5 characters in said pack and the pack itself cost 10 bucks then i would have just wasted 8 bucks it's not a lot to some but i am pretty picky with my money i dont mind pay for dlc but i shouldn't have to pay for something i know i wont use

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
it'll either be 5 or 8 dollars each if MVC3 and Blazblue are to go by.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
Just make it 5, doesn't matter to me either way because I'm likely not buying them and not out of some stupid ass moral high ground that some people THINK they have, but because personally, I don't want to play as flames Iori, Rekka Kyo or Mr. Karate.  Only reason.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Thanks to Fersis on GAF For bringing this to attention:
PS Blog interview with Kei Yamamoto, Producer of KoF XIII

PSB: Online play is a crucial feature for fighting games nowadays. What improvements did you make over KOF XII in terms of netcode, matchmaking and online features?

Yamamoto: We received many comments from the players regarding the netcode. In order to improve the online performance, our netcode received a complete overhaul: we reexamined the threshold level, optimized the content of the transmitted data, and changed the way the game handled increased net traffic, among other things.

And we have some Garou 2 and SVC mentions in there, speaking of the PSVita, and more. A nice read.

----

On DLC Characters, personally, my biggest concern is always having them well-rounded. If each comes with the character, a stage, 2 themes (Or even 3, if they make a 3rd type of music for fights, as the options menu looks open to it), Arcade mode text, potential story mode relevance, new endings for themselves and edit teams, their own trials, new artwork, new voicework / dialog for themselves AND the old characters who interact with them (and translating that text into multiple languages), unique color edit options, and alternate palette costumes, then I don't really mind it costing more than 5 bucks.

My judge for DLC is: Would this be as fun to me, as an XBLA arcade game of equal price, or as some old on-sale game that I could get? Will I get as much value out of this, as something else I can purchase?

Normally, I'm pretty happy with the purchase in the end. I'd rather buy game DLC than movie tickets or rentals, over-expensive Fair / Festival / Carnival Food and games, comic books, random magazines, a night out bowling, or downloadable music from various online stores. I normally get longer-lasting fun from good DLC, than any of those other comparable-in-price things.

kofoguz

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
Hey madman I am from cyprus (south europe) am I allowed to sigh up?
Anyone is welcome to sign up. Though if you are in Europe that does mean you'll have to stay up pretty late. If that's something you can deal with then sign up.
Add one more late hour. I'm in Turkiye / Adana and in the same time zone with with Eripio. We're extra one hour late from Central Europe. I would like to sign up but unfortunately I dont own a Ps3 yet.  :/

derpsunagi79

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:17 PM »
lol 8 dollars for one chracter, one ex chracter at that, good luck with that

in fact i remember an interview with a guy from rising star games where he says it will be good value and slags off capcom and other companys for there dlc policys, you might be able to find it on youtube, he was a black english guy.

Be interesting to see what there policy is now

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »
$5 is ok for me for DLC characters usually, especially for this game. It certainly hurts less when the release price is $50; even less with all the stuff that's already in the game that could've been sold as DLC, (extra outfits, color edit, extra stages/modes, etc). I'm just really curious to see how NESTS Kyo and Serious Mr. Karate play, and maybe if they're more possible characters.

Thanks to Fersis on GAF For bringing this to attention:
PS Blog interview with Kei Yamamoto, Producer of KoF XIII

Great article. Best KOF 13 interview I've read yet; smart answers AND smart questions. I know American publications would've asked about CVS3 (probably not SVC2), but I wonder if they would've asked about Garou 2.

Just merged both post into 1, to avoid double-posting - SAB CA
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:51:48 PM by SAB-CA »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
yeah black english guy was cool, interview was a good read as well. and heres for hoping snkp are not fucking retards and ask more than 3 a pop.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
MvC3 DLC characters cost $5 each. Don't know what else this includes, but the item description doesn't mention anything else.

SSF4 AE update included four new characters for $15 (or about $3.75 each). Includes alternate costumes, icons, titles, achievements and story cutscenes. No challenges or backgrounds. I'm not sure about music.

Blazblue DLC characters cost $7 each. Includes Unlimited versions (essentially EX versions, for those who don't know), achievements and extra colors. I don't believe they have stories or challenges.

A few years ago, I could understand people debating the pricing of DLC characters quite a bit. But nowadays, I think the pricing is pretty well-established. It averages out to about $5. This varies a bit depending on how much is included with the character.

It seems as if the XIII characters are going to include additional backgrounds, music AND challenges. I think that's easily enough to justify $5. However, they're also alternate versions of existing characters, so it would be hard to sell them to casual fans for more than that.

My point is: expect them to be around $5, give or take a few bucks.

MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION: Will NESTS Iori be available around launch? He certainly seems ready to go.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
I remember back in my day, you had to beat the game to unlock a character or whatever...
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »
Blazblue DLC characters cost $7 each. Includes Unlimited versions (essentially EX versions, for those who don't know), achievements and extra colors. I don't believe they have stories or challenges.
Just a couple of points: Unlimited versions are more like broken boss versions than EX versions (banned in tournament play), and the DLC characters did have challenges.  Also, considering the extra colors for other characters had to be bought (at something like $2 for each character, if I'm not mistaken), the DLC price is kind of bundling that with a $5 character.

I remember back in my day, you had to beat the game to unlock a character or whatever...
Better than the timed unlocks that arcades used to have *laughs*

$5 or less per character would be fine with me, since that's basically the going standard.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:18:21 PM by omegaryuji »
Old man/bad player

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
I just hope they bundle the dlc together for 800 points for people who want all three, I really want to support their dlc, its one of the best I've seen for a fighter

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »
@RexDart: You almost got it, here is what they have:

MvC3:
-$5 dllrs each
-Trials/Challenges included
-New Music
-Story mode ending still pictures! (WEEEE!!)

SSF4AE:
-$15 dllrs ($3.75 each approx)
-All colors unlocked
-Alternative Outfits included but unlock key sold separated
-No Trials/Challenges
-Story mode animations, but not in-game cutscenes.
-New Music

BlazBlue CC:
-$ 8 dllrs per character
-Trials/Challenges included
-New Music

That is what you get based on the DLC characters on those 3 games basically.

I think KOFXIII should charge $5 bux, because we will only get trials, new stage and music out of it. Since I doubt they will implement them in the story.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
The story part isn't even important (though if they really wanted, they could at least work in EX Iori as a coda to what happened after the Ash/Saiki finale), $5 a character is fine.  All the time they put into doing new crap for EX Iori, EX Kyo, and EX Takuma they could've spent on other facets of the game or work into Billy/Saiki.  And of all the characters to make DLC, they made sure they were pretty much only palette swaps visually and only really to entice older fans of the series who like the different movesets a pre-XII Iori and Rekka Kyo would provide (I leave out Takuma because...well we don't know a damn thing about him yet still outside of theory).

Besides, as it is now, DLC Characters are still in the experimental stage for all Fighting Games. As it is now, only MvC3, MK9 and BB:CS have really gone down that road (don't count AE just because it's essentially a separate game, you can't play AE without the extra characters so they're not optional).  MvC3's didn't go well considering the characters they gave...weren't exactly that popular, and BB's DLC system with their updates and characters just confuses me half the time.  Also doesn't help BB isn't that mainstream.   Would I prefer there not to be any?  Of course, I think they're a bad idea and only serve to annoy actual FG players, but that's not gonna stop them from making them.

Way I see it, there's only one way to take out DLC characters.  Get Capcom to sell Megaman X as DLC for UMvC3, and then make it to where he sells terribly.  If he can't move DLC units, no character will and companies will take note and stop the practice.  Of course this will not be the case so just do what I do.  Don't buy them, and find a friend who will so you can practice against the characters for tourneys.  It's either that or try to convince all TO's to ban DLC characters in all games permanently.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #209 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:21 PM »

I also remember SFII being something like 69.99 out the box, for 8 playable characters, 12 stages, 4 locked bosses, and at something like 384x244 resolution, lol. And then paying just as much for the DLC- err, next cartridge not long later... which sold me 4 characters who were already in the game, and recolored stages! :(

I really do miss the fun of having secret characters and stuff on the game / disk though... I understand why it doesn't happen now, but it was great to find fully playable hidden characters in a cast back in the day...

I think KOFXIII should charge $5 bux, because we will only get trials, new stage and music out of it. Since I doubt they will implement them in the story.

The KOF Novelist already admitted to us that he was writing new lines for another form of Kyo. So we can assume all EX characters will have new interactions in the arcade mode. And MAYBE, just maybe, they will each have an arcade style "Subtly animated" ending, and probably include new artwork for Edit team endings.

It's a lot of different elements. Depending on how integrated they are into the game, really makes their "worth" different, to me. I'd be more willing to get a character that makes every mode gain something new, rather than just VS mode, y'know?

I just hope they bundle the dlc together for 800 points for people who want all three, I really want to support their dlc, its one of the best I've seen for a fighter
I hope they offer a form of bundle, too. And I hope they'd announce it before they release everyone. It's annoying to find out 6 months down the line that you could have saved 5 bucks (and possibly used them on other items for the same game).

Would I prefer there not to be any?  Of course, I think they're a bad idea and only serve to annoy actual FG players, but that's not gonna stop them from making them.

Way I see it, there's only one way to take out DLC characters.  Get Capcom to sell Megaman X as DLC for UMvC3, and then make it to where he sells terribly.  If he can't move DLC units, no character will and companies will take note and stop the practice.  Of course this will not be the case so just do what I do.  Don't buy them, and find a friend who will so you can practice against the characters for tourneys.  It's either that or try to convince all TO's to ban DLC characters in all games permanently.

I don't think this really has a grasp on how business works, however. That's like thinking, say, that comic books would stop selling online subscriptions, and go back to paper sales only, if the guys on gamefaqs.com decided to stop subscribing to the comics.

Thing is, additional streams on income, in an industry that ONLY gets bigger by the day, are very valuable. It takes a lot more people to make the games we play now-a-days. Deadlines still need to be met however, and projects still need to be made with a certain budget and profit in mind.

If a DLC model works bad, the companies aren't going to abandon the idea of DLC, say "We screwed up, gamers! We'll include 1,000s of production dollars more content into the games, just to make you happy again!"... They either just change the DLC delivermy model, or abandon additional content creation all together.

TO's need to grow with the times, really, and companies need to grow their support for them. It'd only help in the end, really; More people would feel safe about their purchases, if they knew there'd be feature parity at all large gatherings. New disk release (at budget prices) should be offered after substantial DLC is created, and the cost of the old version should drop at that time, as well.

One thing I believe would have been smart for UMVC3, for example, would have been to make Jill & Shuma standard on this new disk, and make those who purchased / owned them before, now able to download a pair of future DLC characters for free. It would have helped get those 2 into serious tournament consideration, made the current release have all the content up to this point a standard, and also would have made it so past purchasers wouldn't have felt betrayed.

---

A lot of GOOD can come from DLC, if it's smartly managed. Truthfully, I'd love to only have to buy 1 or, possibly 2, full iterations of a fighter each console generation, and watch the game grow and change through updates and additions. The Entire FF3 -> Real Bout series could have been DLC updates, allow you to retain the old stages and movesets if you wanted, but also bring the new in (and for a fraction of the old NeoGeo prices). If the whole SFII series was DLC, we or our parents wouldn't have had to spend 60 -> 90 dollars a pop for each iteration. Probably could have saved a couple hundred dollars over the years... Would have been nice to have all of BlazBlue as 1 disk release + DLC, now we're coming up on a 3rd disk release, and half the (single player) content of the 2nd release missing from the 3rd (with new stuff for new characters added kinda in it's place), for some reason or another?

It's all just such a mess, but I hope it starts to clear up in the coming years. Hopefully, SNKP starts out of the gate with this game, swinging.