Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Home Port Wishlist  (Read 87968 times)

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Home Port Wishlist
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:21 AM »
The new stages of XI were a PS2 extra, so they used what that hardware was best at (3D). It did clash a bit, but they looked rather nice in progressive scan...

Anyway, I have no problem with properly used DLC. If you told me back in 1997 I coulda payed 5 dollars to add the Gunstar Heroes to Guardian Heroes, I would have been RIGHT THERE! If you told me I could turn KoF 97 into KoF 98, a year after 97's release, with 30 dollars worth of DLC (Or a free update, in the case of Blazblue Continue Shift 2), and have the option to switch between both in menus, I wouldn't have complained a bit.

Super this, Turbo that, EX + Alpha, Perfect, yearly updates, championship editions... all those upgrades to fighters were basically "DLC" with more obtuse, more expensive, less convenient ways to get the content. So why act like DLC has no place in fighters? If properly supported and distributed, fighters are some of the best games to offer DLC for, and may have paved the way for other console games that get them now.

Speaking of proper support, the big problem I have with Marvels DLC is that they didn't follow up with it well. Shuma and Jill are great, but what is there past that? The first costume pack was ambitious, but wheres the others? Couldn't they have at least made alt colors for the costumes over this time? It's like they promised a trend, and then failed to follow up on it. I'm OK with not having new characters or stages yet, but they should have followed up their DLC character polls with rough sketches of the winners, or something to say "Hey, this content is actually coming!!!" The "Shadow Battles" are no where NEAR interesting enough to cover the wait they've put us through, and many have stopped caring.

Commpare that to MK9's, which seems much better paced, and professional; shame the game annoys me to no end, lol. I'd love to see a game I really like, do the same as they are, because they've done a great job at teasing upcoming released, and softening the "Oh no, it's DLC!" backlash, by giving away "free" bonuses like Klassic Kostumes with their compatability updates and the like.

KoF XIII is releasing for 50 bucks in the US; so, for example, if they release a 3 character team + extra colors / "2nd outfit" sprite mods for an existing team, for 10 dollars, in 2 or 3 months time after release, I don't think anyone would feel that burned, given that the game is already cheaper.

Truthfully, if I were heading SNKP, I'd be using KoF XIII to promote everything I make for the next few years. Making a new Metal Slug? Thow Fio + A Metal Slug stage into XIII as DLC. Releasing Samurai Showdown RPG on Virtua Console? Drop Kazuki or Hanzo into XIII. Making a Pachislot Fighters History Game? Drop Mastorious and Mizonguchi into XIII. Or get another doujin game ported to XBLA (Like Akatsuki Blitzkampf), and give one of their characters the proper SNKP treatment for XIII. Working with Capcom to release CVS2 on downloadable services? Get Capcom to allow a SF team of Ryu, C.Viper, and Sagat to guest start in XIII. (Like a tease of the CVS3 we'd probably never see otherwise... :( )

Really, more than any other fighter company out there, SNKP has a lot riding on this particular game. It'd be really nice for them to take their unique situation, and use it as best they can. They don't even have to do it all "out the box" on console release, if they played their cards right.

This all doesn't matter without good Netcode though, lol. But if the netcode is worth it, they really could have a game and platform to promote themselves to more and more players through. So again, while I'd be happy just getting XIII and a bit more on console release, I think they COULD do a lot more, if they desire.

Heck, I'd consider it a "Console extra" if they'd offer beta keys to people who pre-ordered, to test the netcode, and help them give it the stress test + improvements it needs. Make it a little better than a normal demo (like give 2 teams worth of characters), and use it until the game releases. After the game is out, make some minor adjustments, and let the "Beta" become a free demo, open to all, with a few characters stripped out. Basically 1 thing becomes a pre-release hype builder, and a post-release advertisement.

This is the WISH list thread, so gotta get out these crazy wishes every once in a while! (-_-;)

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »
Get Capcom to allow a SF team of Ryu, C.Viper, and Sagat to guest start in XIII. (Like a tease of the CVS3 we'd probably never see otherwise... :( )

you know that is a great idea and totally doable
" you fight well in the old style"

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
Fuck ryu and sagat ... i am bored of fighting against random ryus and sagats from sf4.Pick between viper, rufus, juri or abel - those characters require skill and are more fun to play with or against them.Still i doubt this can happen with the tekken x sf shit comming...but good ideea :)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Fuck ryu and sagat ... i am bored of fighting against random ryus and sagats from sf4.Pick between viper, rufus, juri or abel - those characters require skill and are more fun to play with or against them.Still i doubt this can happen with the tekken x sf shit comming...but good ideea :)

I love that you listed the SF characters most like SNK characters. How about Yang and Remy from 3S?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
How about Yang and Remy from 3S?

Ash...

I'd rather no Capcom in my KOF tbh, better they spend that creation time on some SNK goodness instead.

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »

I love that you listed the SF characters most like SNK characters. How about Yang and Remy from 3S?

he he :D that's why they are the only ones i play in sf4 (some of the guys behind sf4 used to work for snk ..and it shows LOL )..tho for now i can play only viper and rufus at a decent level.Yang, remy and yun are also good choices :3 forgot about them + some others from 3s.But ken, ryu, sagat i don't want to see.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
Ash...

I'd rather no Capcom in my KOF tbh, better they spend that creation time on some SNK goodness instead.

I can undertand that sentiment, but I've always felt that it'd be a good way for them to get some extra funding, extra promotion, and pick up the capcom fans who were burned by SF going 3D graphics. Might as well hit all the niche's they could, right?

Ryu and Sagat wouldn't be my first choices either (Sagat maybe, just because he'd look cool drawn SNKP huge), but I'd either pick for gameplay reasons (charge characters like Guile or DeeJay, or Abel or Alex, since they're unique grapplers), or just who'd be best fitting (Juri's basically an evil Chae Lim, and Kim would freak out over an EVIL TKD fighter, Yang would be a freaky take on Lin in some ways, etc).

There's so much "If you can't BEAT the competetion... team up with them!" going on in entertainment now-a-days... And SNKP has shown a lot of KoF in other works stuff lately (Queens Gate game, LoV with Square, that chinese MMO from a while back), that'd it would be nice to see a crossover that'd actually be relevant to the worldwide audience.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Do you really think is a good thing have Ryu and company into KOF XIII just due to get new players on KOF? Well, maybe... But I hope I never see this.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
I can undertand that sentiment, but I've always felt that it'd be a good way for them to get some extra funding, extra promotion, and pick up the capcom fans who were burned by SF going 3D graphics. Might as well hit all the niche's they could, right?

XIII doesn't play like SF4 or Third Strike so the novelty would wear off fast, the only way those characters would be used often is if they ended up being top tiers, not because they are Capcom characters in a KOF.

You would honestly rather have characters like Ryu/Guile/Yang/Abel etc. over possibilities like Oswald/Yamazaki/Gai/Vanessa/Ramon/Angel etc?

Not to mention if they create sprites (these super high quality and very time consuming sprites) for SNK characters then they can use them for years to come and not have to worry about Capcom pulling the plug or a contract running out.

The idea is a waste of time and money imo, unless its a full on VS game.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:39:35 PM by Diavle »

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
You honestly think some SF fanboys wouldn't buy the game just to see their characters in 2D again? Or that some who buy into it wouldn't become KoF fans afterwards? Not to mention KoF XIII's game play systems would bring a whole new style to the characters; some even might prefer to play them in XIII, after being brought in by a familiar lure. We all agree that XIII is great fun to watch / play, SNKP seems to be confident in this as well.

Serving the KoF Fanbase keeps that audience happy. Serving the Fighting game fanbase potentially grows the brand to even more people.

Not to mention Capcom would potentially provide them with some money for making such a thing, splitting some of the dev cost, so it'd possibly be "cheaper" for SNKP than developing their own characters.

Well done crossovers can have great "long tail" benefits. Some negative ones, with regards to contracts, as well. But many of the old ones were made before reselling on digital services was ever dreamed of. I'd imagine they'd be much smarter now.

I've heard and read "I got into SNK games because of CvS!" or "I only know how to play Kyo because I mained him in CvS2!" or even "I only found out about SNK games because of the crossovers!" so many times over the years, that I could see such a thing really profiting KoF and SNKP quite a lot.

Besides, there's always a few "throw away" characters in each game (as far as ones who don't move on to the next immediate title), and if such a thing was used as a seed towards getting interest for new crossovers / re-releasing old ones, the investment could be one that reaches more (and gets more money) than any other simple team of characters could.

Do you really think is a good thing have Ryu and company into KOF XIII just due to get new players on KOF? Well, maybe... But I hope I never see this.

Sure, why not? (^_^) You don't know how many times I wished I could play Capcom characters with SNK gameplay systems. Like letting Makoto Normal-> Command Normal -> Karakusa, using Guile with SNK charge times, or wondering what'd it feel like to play some characters with proper hops / ability to do air moves to extend or shorten back dashes. Just like it was great fun to see how SNK character adapted to the 3 level super system of the alpha series, or what new normals the characters obtained since they went from a 4 button fighter to a 6 button one, in CVS series.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:23:47 PM by SAB-CA »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
You honestly think some SF fanboys wouldn't buy the game just to see their characters in 2D again?

Some? Yes. Enough to make a difference? No. CVS didn't make much of a difference for SNK's popularity, that much is evident.

Besides, the last thing SNK should want is for KOF to become more popular thanks to Capcom characters.

And considering the current financial standing and popularity of each company it would probably be SNK that would have to dish out the dough to have Capcom let them use their characters.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:27:13 PM by Diavle »

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
Hmmm, different perspectives then. At any rate, I'd love to see KoF bring "crossover" to relevancy with it's name again. XI was a great start, and the series was birthed as a way to bring characters from the greatest fighters around together under unique gameplay, so it'd be good to see XIII work with that in some unique ways.

Basically every fighter out now has some kinda crossover element, be it between characters from different games in the same series, to characters from franchises that make absolutely no sense (such as Kratos in MK, or the Star Wars characters + Manga creators guest designs in SCIV). Almost anything is possible now, so it'll be interesting to see what occurs.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »
such as Kratos in MK, or the Star Wars characters + Manga creators guest designs in SCIV
Yeah, and you can add Cole from infamous to SFxT.
This is exactly what I dislike of these games... But anyway, these cases are very different from to put a SF char into a KOF... Kratos, Star Wars, Cole, FFantasy (rumored a guest characters for SCV), are characters from non fighting games franchises. Putting a SF char into a KOF is like to say "look, we want to be like Capcom and get its fans!" Too much desperate. I think it will be terribly negative thing for SNKP image. Sales can't justify everything.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
I don't see any problem seeing non fighting game characters on franchises, the metal slug characters did fine on NGBC, hell, the ikaris and athena are not from fighting games

as long as they find a way to work with the system, I'm fine with it

Waifu Material

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »
such as Kratos in MK, or the Star Wars characters + Manga creators guest designs in SCIV
Yeah, and you can add Cole from infamous to SFxT.
This is exactly what I dislike of these games... But anyway, these cases are very different from to put a SF char into a KOF... Kratos, Star Wars, Cole, FFantasy (rumored a guest characters for SCV), are characters from non fighting games franchises. Putting a SF char into a KOF is like to say "look, we want to be like Capcom and get its fans!" Too much desperate. I think it will be terribly negative thing for SNKP image. Sales can't justify everything.

Eh, nothing negative about it, really. "Foreign challengers reunite, to take on the King of Fighters!". These guys have history + a classic rivalry together, and KoF XIII has gameplay systems that'd be REALLY great to see certain character under, that's the main focuses here. Drive / HD cancelling could bring a whole new dimension to so many characters, as well.

Besides, I think putting Star Wars characters into SC looked more desperate, actually. And Cole in SF x T is just... odd.

Having too much fun thinking about Makoto in XIII's systems now, though! Hayate DC's into Karakusa, Fukiage HD mode juggles! Or maybe making Abare Tosanami act similiar to Leona's V-Slasher, allowing Tsurugi -> Super Cancel Abare, which could then Max Cancel into Seichusen Godanzuki? I'd feel nerf'd playing her in SF after all that, lol.

*Note that I'm one of the people that HATES the idea of a Capcom/SNK takeover, lol. It's nothing like that. But they're the 2 most relevant 2D fighting companies, so I think it's awesome when they work together. (SF x T is a matchup I never cared about... but the idea of playing Julia Chang in 2D gameplay is growing on me, haha.)

as long as they find a way to work with the system, I'm fine with it

Yup, I love the way SNK(P) can make characters relevant to their games. That's the way I'd look at any crossovers they'd do; they make characters into awesome, fun to play fighters.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:53:29 PM by SAB-CA »