Author Topic: Who getting MK9?  (Read 23371 times)

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Who getting MK9?
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:31 AM »
Here's how I can prove you're wrong, yeah you can just hold the block button, but YOU STILL HAVE TO BLOCK IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION IT DOES NOT REMOVE THE CROSS-UP! Hell at Battle For Seattle during casuals I was getting blown up by a local Kung Lao due to his Cross-Up set-ups being ambiguous as hell. And grabs are really fucking good in MK9, just sitting there blocking will get you blown up ESPECIALLY if you crouch block. So please until you learn how to fucking play a game at a basic fucking level and learn the system shut the fuck up. Goddamn, this is just as bad as all the people who say KoF or any anime game is trash due to Rushdown because they don't know shit.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:22:54 AM by Zabel »

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2011, 03:33:08 AM »
You don't have to block in the right direction, you hold the block button. Lol, my god. You don't have to block in any direction because no matter what, it blocks it. It's not about the grab / block mixups, because those are in regular fighting games too. High/low mixups still matter, but they're not half as important as they could be. BlazBlue / Guilty is somewhat stupid due to the forced play-style, but aside from that it's fine. Don't say it's not forced playstyle, if I like a predominantly turtle-style than it gives me a penalty. That forces you to play totally differently if you're used to playing an evasion-based style.

Count how many seconds it takes me to laugh at VF players if they act like it's serious. Tekken 6 = Only 3D fighter that matters.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

krazykone123

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »
 ;up Tekken 6? lol opinions.

Here's how I can prove you're wrong, yeah you can just hold the block button, but YOU STILL HAVE TO BLOCK IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION IT DOES NOT REMOVE THE CROSS-UP! Hell at Battle For Seattle during casuals I was getting blown up by a local Kung Lao due to his Cross-Up set-ups being ambiguous as hell. And grabs are really fucking good in MK9, just sitting there blocking will get you blown up ESPECIALLY if you crouch block. So please until you learn how to fucking play a game at a basic fucking level and learn the system shut the fuck up. Goddamn, this is just as bad as all the people who say KoF or any anime game is trash due to Rushdown because they don't know shit.

Zabel putting dude on blast.

Anyone try Skarlet yet? (got her for free because of some crafty shit, thx NetherRealm) from a basic look she's pretty much EX Mileena with a Blood moniker, she is pretty fun though and has a lot of potential.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2011, 04:00:57 AM »
Count how many seconds it takes me to laugh at VF players if they act like it's serious. Tekken 6 = Only 3D fighter that matters.

Sorry to be offtopic here, but is funny you said that. I mean I play Tekken and is fun as hell. But for some reason I can't stand watching tournaments of Tekken, even if I want to. I wish VF had more of a scene here, but when I watch VF tournaments, I really enjoy the looks of the tournaments more. Maybe because you don't see the silly crouching dash like in Tekken, which I use and is useful, but it looks weird if you are seen it.

But regarding the block button, I wouldn't put down either VF or MK just because they have block buttons. Cross overs are important, but aren't really a game maker IMO. MK and VF have their own shenanigans, they don't really need Cross Overs to be competitive.

Anyone try Skarlet yet? (got her for free because of some crafty shit, thx NetherRealm) from a basic look she's pretty much EX Mileena with a Blood moniker, she is pretty fun though and has a lot of potential.

She looks fun:

My cousin lended me the game recently and I been doing all the single player stuff, still learning the game, but for what I played it's fun and having the block as a button can be sometimes confusing. It wasn't like that when I played VF, but maybe it's because the game has only 3 buttons to worry about. But yeah, this MK reminds me to MK2 a lot, which is a good thing.

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2011, 04:04:27 AM »
VF isn't that great in general, right down to the system mechanics. 3D fighters are generally crap.

Crossups are overemphasized in capcom games, but they're still significant and a good tool that reward you for getting a knockdown. The enemy made a mistake that allowed them to get a knockdown, they deserve said reward. MK takes away that whole action / reward concept.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2011, 04:27:37 AM »
VF isn't that great in general, right down to the system mechanics. 3D fighters are generally crap.

I don't see why you say 3D fighters are generally crap. I like fighting games in general and I won't deny I played more 2D fighters than 3D in my life time. But I can really appreciate VF System, specially VF4 and VF5 one. Their system rewards you for reading your opponent and knowing your character complete move set. For me learning 2D fighting games characters is easy, it's rarely a challenge to manage and pull some crazy ass combo ones you train with him after some time. But in 3D games, you really need to your character from up to down, if you don't, then you will not be able to stand up. But that is mostly by the fact that 3D fighters characters have way more moves than in 2D fighters. So I think VF deserves the praise it gets from several people, because it's a damn good game and not easy to jump into and win IMO.

Crossups are overemphasized in capcom games, but they're still significant and a good tool that reward you for getting a knockdown. The enemy made a mistake that allowed them to get a knockdown, they deserve said reward. MK takes away that whole action / reward concept.

I understand that cross overs are rewarding, but like any fighting game mechanic, they are rewarding if you are fighting someone who doesn't know how to defend against it. And besides, is rare for someone who plays the game regularly fall for a cross over, is easier for them to get cough by a low hit when they wake up than a cross over. I wouldn't say the same thing about Ambiguous Cross Overs, those aren't really rewarding, because in my opinion, I see them as glitched moves and can overpower a character more than it needs to be. If you think about it, having a block button eliminates those Ambiguous Cross Overs, which makes the game more balanced in the end. But I keep thinking that Cross Overs don't make or break a game, neither block buttons, they just bring a different taste to the offensive play. Obvious this is my opinion, but just wanted to bring it up.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:29:14 AM by DarKaoZ »

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2011, 05:05:50 AM »

Opinion is opinion. 3D fighters have had a more complex oki system and neutral game than 2D fighters for quite a while now. Frame data is extremely important and having an extra axis to play with is refreshing. Granted, I haven't played Tekken competitively for a while now, and I do play 2D fighters more often, I still give credit where it's due. Respect that they are different genres and move on. If you don't like it, you don't like it. However, don't spread narrow-mindedness. We can't hope for people to accept KoF if we're a bunch of snobby elitists who hate on other games/genres. Point out the things you like or dislike with valid arguments and knowledge instead of making generalized statements.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »
You don't have to block in the right direction, you hold the block button. Lol, my god. You don't have to block in any direction because no matter what, it blocks it.
No.It.Fucking.Doesn't.

You don't play, you don't look at the game, you don't know anything about the game. Fuck this is retarded.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »

Let's say Sektor makes a setup for upmissile followed by crossing the opponent up on his/her wakeup. For the opponent to get out of this he/she will probably have to use an invincible wakeup attack and the right specific one at that. In most cases because Sektor crosses his opponent up he will not be hit by the wakeup attack that is probably going the other way and in such a case the opponent will probably eat the crossup. If the opponent has an invincible wakeup attack that moves him/her forward both players may get out unharmed depending on speed etc of the wakeup attack. If the opponent does get hit (even on block) Sektor gets a 50/50 that results in 26-28% damage that can be made safe on block by using ex and thus boosting damage slightly aswell. There are various things like this in the game for many characters. For just about all characters, crossups are safer than straight forward jumpins and i can't say for sure how many characters benefit from it as much as Sektor can but as i said earlier crossups are important and should not be dismissed.

@DarKaoZ I think Tekken 6 is pretty fun to watch on stream. I haven't played much Tekken so it is really interesting to see how it is played, but i do prefer VF5 though it is hard to explain why beyond the reason that i find the character designs better.

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
You don't have to block in the right direction, you hold the block button. Lol, my god. You don't have to block in any direction because no matter what, it blocks it.
No.It.Fucking.Doesn't.

You don't play, you don't look at the game, you don't know anything about the game. Fuck this is retarded.
I don't play it because it's only for casuals. I watch the game to check up on the idiots who protest it's competitive. I know the system.
You hold the block button. It blocks all attacks that are on the correct high/low level. Crossups are obviously going to be high, so duh. Everybody should quit acting like crossups matter in MK though, they really don't.

Tekken 6 is a great game, but generally 3D fighters aren't that great. VF isn't too terrible, nor great, at the mechanics level, and the block button doesn't hurt it because it's not a 2/2.5D game that should emphasize elements that aren't solid framedata. VF still lacks compared to Tekken though. Can't quite put my finger on why.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
Tekken 6 is a great game, but generally 3D fighters aren't that great. VF isn't too terrible, nor great, at the mechanics level, and the block button doesn't hurt it because it's not a 2/2.5D game that should emphasize elements that aren't solid framedata. VF still lacks compared to Tekken though. Can't quite put my finger on why.

So first, you say 3D games in general aren't great. Then Tekken is great, but VF is not. What? VF not being about frame data? What? Unless you're saying that 2D games aren't about framedata, because Guilty Gear would like to say hello. Both 3D games are super frame data heavy, but for different reasons.

In Tekken, before universal low parry (everything T3 and prior), 8 frame low jabs were a big deal since they easily stuffed so many things. Tekken is about using frame advantage to know who has advantage after blocking an attack to punish or create setups from blockstun.

VF, on the other hand, heavily uses the term "abare" (which is different in 2D fighting games) which is basically attacking from a disadvantageous state. Characters like Akira, whose moves are mostly negative on block, generally will input another move with a minimal amount frame startup in order to override an impending counter attack. This relies heavily on the opponent's frame data as to create the highest possible damage output from that particular situation.

Again, you are making generalizations, talking about system mechanics, yet not explaining why you disagree about them. It's fine if you bring it up, but at least give constructive examples that can be discussed. If you just don't like the games, that's fine, but don't pretend to go into complexities if you're not going to bother exploring them. Otherwise, you're just flamebaiting others.

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »
3D fighters aren't that great in general, I'll always persist that Tekken is a very good, techical game.

GG and framedata? wat when did this... GG runs the same as BlazBlue, except BlazBlue uses more concepts created by MB.

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
I don't think I will ever understands what causes a person who hates MK9 to enter a topic about MK9.

What else does this person do in their free time? Go to bowling alleys and tell people that bowling is dumb? Go to the golf course and tell players that golfing is boring? Go to an amusement park and complain that amusement parks are lame?

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
3D fighters aren't that great in general, I'll always persist that Tekken is a very good, techical game.

Again, not a valid argument. Just opinion, without any factual information.

GG and framedata? wat when did this... GG runs the same as BlazBlue, except BlazBlue uses more concepts created by MB.

Ok, I am seriously just getting trolled now. GG has had frame data importance since GGXXSlash. GG like BB? That's why GG and BB players are the same right? BB like MB? Because I know for a fact that MB doesn't have throw notifications or oki rolls, and BB doesn't have 3 different meter systems, shielding, red health regen/time stoppage, reverse beat, damage reduction, etc. I have no idea where you're coming from if you don't explain things.

I feel like a mod should close this thread. Its intention was purposeful before the release of MK9. That and the thread is derailing itself from MK9 altogether. If you guys wanna talk MK9, open up a general purpose thread. Well, it would probably be more useful if it was an all-purpose 3D fighter discussion thread, but that's just my opinion on it.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »
Everybody should quit acting like crossups matter in MK though, they really don't.

Didn't i Just give you a good explanation as to why crossups ARE good in MK? They aren't hard to block, you are right about that, you just hold the block button. Read my previous post again, crossups in MK are not there to score you a direct hit they are there to give you jump ins that are hard to deal with so you can proceed with your mixup game.