The King of Fighters 2002 UM/Gauges
The health bar is broken into 10 increments, 10 being the most (100%/full health) and 0 being the least (K.O'd). When the health bar drops to 3 increments (30%) or lower the bar will turn orange then the character will be able to perform a HDSM.
On the bottom of the screen, there is the super meter/gauge. When charged and built, used for Desperation moves, along with various different offensive and defensive options and possibilities.
- 1 level: desperation move/super, Guard CD cancel, cancel Guard AB, cancel Roll, max mode
- 2 levels: Super cancel, max mode cancel
- 3 levels: Super Desperation move, Hidden Super Desperation Move (Super MAX, Super MAX2)
- 4 levels: Super Cancel to a Super Desperation Move (Super Max)
The number of supers/DMs in stock is indicated by the number appearing next to the gauge, and by the color of the gauge fills. Once loaded up, the word "maximum" appears on the gauge.
The gauge is charged with moves of the following actions:
- A special or normal move on hit or block
- A whiffed special move
- Some attacks with special property
During max mode, the super meter cannot be charged or built.
The maximum number of stocked super levels varies depending on the position of character in the order of the team as follows:
- first character: Stock max 3
- Second character: Stock max 4
- Third character: stock max 5
The super meter/gauge stocks will carry over into the next round.
Super Move/Desperation Move (DM)
A super move/DM is a kind of super special move that will require the use of a single level gauge of super meter. Activation of the move is usually accompanied by a "blue flash activation". Some normal moves and command attacks can be canceled into a DM.
Super MAX/Super Desperation Move (SDM)
All the characters of the game have one or more Super MAX/SDMs. The activation requires the cost of 3 super meter levels. They are also generally accompanied by a "reddish orange flash activation". In the max mode, the Super MAX/SDM costs one super meter level.
Super MAX2/Hidden Super Desperation Move (HSDM)
Once your life reaches the last 30% and turns orange, your character will gain a new move, the MAX2/HSDM. Like the Super MAX/SDM, it costs 3 super meter levels. The flash activation MAX2 is different from that of a Super MAX and it will show the artwork of your character, and a change in the background.
Super Cancel (SC)
It is possible to cancel some special moves by Super Moves/DMs or Super MAX. You cannot cancel to Super MAX2/HSDM. Super Cancelled moves be identified by the notation (SC) in the command list. To achieve the super cancel, perform the DM over the canceled frames of the special move. Keep in mind that some special moves have more or less frames that can be canceled into. It is not possible to cancel a special move that does not connect to an opponent or whiffs. It costs 2 super meter levels to cancel into a DM, and costs 4 to cancel into a SDM.
Max mode is a mode in KOF2002UM that provides access to a number of possibilities and functions. You can raw activate by standing still and pressing B + C for 1 bar. Different from activating off a normal, see Max Mode Cancel below. The duration of this mode is represented by a small gauge "time" over the super meter. During this time, the player will have access to:
You will be able to cancel certain moves by some normal and special moves. Free cancels use up certain amounts of "time" from the max mode gauge, which means the more amount of free cancels you will use in a combo, the sooner you will deplete the gauge and end max mode. To understand the free cancel system, you must know which moves can be canceled into, and which moves can be canceled out of. There isn't really a listing of moves that are able to be free canceled, the best way is to simply test and experiment. It is also possible to whiff certain moves and cancel those into other moves that you couldn't do when you aren't in max mode.
During max mode if you have your super meter stocked, you can do DMs, SDMs & the HSDM if you have enough levels. Doing DM's will terminate max mode.
- 1 level = DMs
- 2 levels = SDM, and HSDM (must be at 30% life)
Super Special Cancels
While Super Cancels (SC) costs a level of super meter, it doesn't cost a level while in Max Mode. But, you also have access to Special Super Cancel, where you can cancel some normals and special moves into Super (DM) or SuperMAX (SDM), that you couldn't normally perform outside of max mode.
Max Mode Cancel
In KOF2002UM you can cancel any ground based move (CD and CD break included) on block or on hit into a max mode activation. This will cost 2 bars instead of 1 like the raw activation.
There are two types of max mode cancel:
- Normal Move Cancel: It's sort of like a False Roman Cancel in Guilty Gear. You can cancel into maxmode (hitting B+C) after connecting a normal move then go back into a standing neutral position. It must be canceled at the first active frame of whatever normal move that hits your opponent.
- Delayed Normal Move Cancel: Similar to Normal Move Max Mode, but you activating the max mode while performing a standing B at the same time. It happens more successfully after normal move in a combo, like a crouch A or B, then B + C will give you a stand B into activation mode. If you do a normal or command move with C or D, then hit B + C, you will get a stand C into activation mode. A really helpful instance for this type of cancel is canceling a normal into a special move which will hit with max mode activation. Kyo can do a stand C, df + D, into a qcf + B + C which activate max mode and perform his special move at the same time. Another example is Kim's f + B overhead kick into qcb + B + C which will combo to his qcb + C special move while activating immediately into max mode.
- Double Normal Move Cancel: Like Normal Move Cancel, but you are placing another normal move after the max mode activation. For example, Clark's close standing C for 2 hits (second hit doesn't normally cancel into his DM), max mode activation, run, then another stand C. Or Kyo's close standing C, B + C activation, run, then another stand C into a combo.