The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Saisyu Kusanagi
Saisyu has great offensive tools to stay close to the opponent and confirm into big metered damage or a meterless hard-knockdown. Alternatively, he can zone out the opponent with his ground-traveling fireball and a strong anti-air DP. His weakness definitely lies in his mostly short-ranged normals, which often cannot compete with the opponents' in neutral. Saisyu has to make up for this deficit with good positioning, so he can use his great jump-in normals to get in and start his pressure game.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- cl.C's activation range has been reduced, it can still be linked from a cl.A or cr.A
- st.B now has 3 more active frames
- f+A how has 2 frames less startup
- qcf+P now has 3 frames less recovery
- hcb+B now has 2 frames less startup, now connects from heavies and f+A
- qcb+A now has 2 frames less startup, you can follow up after the second hit now
- qcfx2+P now has less startup; both A and MAX versions have 5 frames less startup and can now connect from lights
- qcfx2+C now has invincibility during the first active frame as well
98UM to 98UMFE
- dp+B's second hit now has a larger hitbox, so it shouldn't whiff if the first connects
- hcb+K now has less recovery, second hit should be easier to connect if the first connects
- qcb+P's first hit now has a bigger hitbox and less recovery
- qcfx2+P's A and MAX versions have faster startup
- cl.A: Can stop hops, otherwise useless. Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.B: Use cr.A instead for more reliable range and same combo potential. Cancelable.
- cl.C: 2f start up, 2 hits, both cancelable. Can link from cr.B. Your heavy normal for combos.
- cl.D: Same as st.D.
- st.A: Crappy range, can stop hops from close up but no other use for it really. Chainable.
- st.B: Farthest range of his normals. Good as a poke. Combos after cr.B.
- st.C: Cancelable, but slow and crappy range and whiffs on crouchers. Rarely useful.
- st.D: Can work as anti-air against hops, but dp+P is much more reliable.
- cr.A: Fast and good range for a cr.A. Use this in confirms and blockstrings after cr.B and as a short poke. Chainable and cancelable.
- cr.B: Low combo starter. Links into cl.C. Chainable.
- cr.C: Not a reliable anti-air. Can be used in punish or combo situations when too far away for cl.C. Cancelable.
- cr.D: Cancelable sweep. Not bad at what it does.
- j.A: Nice air-to-air.
- j.B: Typical Kusanagi knee. Often beats weaker anti-airs and air normals, and can crossup without much hassle. VERY GOOD.
- j.C: Decent jump-in, but nothing special about it. Use this on characters j.D might whiff on.
- j.D: Most damaging jump button (except for j.CD). Usually used for air zoning out of a hop. Can whiff on small crouchers and low-profile moves.
- st.CD: Quite fast, enough range to hit after some light-button blockstrings. Saisyu has good safe options to fish for counterhit combos with this. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.CD: Great move. Often wins against other good moves and anti-airs thanks to good hitbox. Good for fishing counterhit combos just like regular CD.
Swift Shoulder Throw:
- Hits overhead when done on its own.
- No overhead but cancelable when cancelled into. Acts as heavy normal for the purpose of comboing.
- Combos from cl.C and true blockstring. Safe on block.
- Plus on block, but combos from nothing. You can link into a variety of moves on hit.
- Mostly exists to extend your offense with plus frames, can be interrupted since it's not a true block string.
- Ground traveling projectile. Not great but serves its purpose if used with care.
- Saisyu's DP. Good reversal and reliable anti air especially C version. Both versions are very unsafe.
- Very slow overhead move. Not recommended. Punishable on block.
- B version combos from cr.A, D only combos from heavy buttons.
- Very nice go-to combo move that causes a hard knockdown and has decent damage.
- B version is a good meterless raw punish tool, more horizontal range than DP. Unsafe on block.
Fusillade of Flame:
- Saisyu's rekka. Combos from heavy buttons. A version combos into dp+C. Best meterless damage but only soft knockdown. Unsafe on block.
qcb,hcf+A/C (can be held)
- A/C versions are identical. Combos from heavy buttons. Deals more damage than qcfx2+A/C. Safe on block.
- SDM deals even more damage and still more than qcfx2+AC. Plus on block.
- Best Orochinagi archetype DM in the game
- A version has very fast startup. Combos from cr.A and f+B. Can punish almost anything unsafe. One of the best raw super punishes in the game.
- C version is slower than A but has lots of invul and more range. Useful as a counter in situations where invul and range matter more than speed.
- SDM is like the A version but deals more damage. Combos from cr.A/f+B and is just as fast but no invul.
cr.B, cr.A, dp+B
- Basic low confirm, might whiff at max range cr.A.
cr.B, cl.C(1), f+A, dp+D:
- Low starter frame link.
(j.X), cl.C(1), f+A, dp+D
- Your go-to heavy starter.
cr.B, cr.A, qcfx+P
- Low confirm into DM.
cl.C, f+A, qcb,hcf+P
cr.B, cl.C(1), f+A, qcb,hcf+P:
- Low frame link into super.
With Quick MAX
cr.B, ABC, cl.C, f+A, qcb,hcf+P
f+B, ABC, st.C, qcb,hcf+P
cr.B, cl.C(1), f+A, qcb+A, qcb+A, ABC, qcb,hcf+P
- Best combo.